2021 Skidoo turbo firing on 1 cylinder

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer Doos dont seem to like it that cold. ETECs need the plugs warmed up before they will fire up.

1 surefire way to rule out plugs is to swap plugs to the other cylinder. if it still runs on the same jug then its not the plugs. Easy to tell by which side of the y-pipe is hot. Wire, CDI or fuelling issue after that.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer Doos dont seem to like it that cold. ETECs need the plugs warmed up before they will fire up.

1 surefire way to rule out plugs is to swap plugs to the other cylinder. if it still runs on the same jug then its not the plugs. Easy to tell by which side of the y-pipe is hot. Wire, CDI or fuelling issue after that.

yea, they do not like extreme cold starts. Part of the problem is you cant get a good enough pull on the rope to properly initiate all of the electronics and then funky things can happen.

to ensure you have no problems. pull the cord out slowly 2-3 times with killswitch off to free up the block. then pull it rapidly twice with the killswitch still off. You will now feel like you are able to get a proper full pull-on the rope and the sled should fire up immediately with no issue in all temps. I reccomend this for anything below -10. Hasnt let me down yet

when its cold i always fire my sled in town before heading to the staging area. Nothing worse then getting there and having an issue.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This , the stator and flywheel on these new sleds take so much power to turn over .
Feels like the motor has 180 psi compression . Lol
Electric start sleds don’t have the problem.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Left my sled on the truck over night... in morning it was -42C in my yard went to put sled in my shop and pulled the rope.... rope stayed out and went back into house....moral to story....drove truck with sled recoil pulled out and staying out into shop and next day started like a champ

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put the sled in a warm shop to warm up prob nothing serious just needs to be warmed up they don’t like -40c

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like fouled plugs. Problem being is that when I checked last week the spark plugs for the 21 turbo are on backorder everywhere. the 20.5 turbo uses the same plugs as the NA 850 so you could try those out. ILKR8Q7 NGK iridium.
Really, what's the difference in the plugs?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
left sled out at -35 over night, pulled sled over a few times to loosen up, did not want to pull over fast enough to start, did not want to break the rope, opened side panel opened secondary so belt dropped
down, so not trying to turn the secondary, after doing that, second pull and she started right up. we use to put block heaters in our 1200 t cats in the 90s. they could be a bitch to start at -35 below.
often times one guy wrapped rope around clutch and one guy on the sled rope and pull together to turn that Mother over. those were the days.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
left sled out at -35 over night, pulled sled over a few times to loosen up, did not want to pull over fast enough to start, did not want to break the rope, opened side panel opened secondary so belt dropped
down, so not trying to turn the secondary, after doing that, second pull and she started right up. we use to put block heaters in our 1200 t cats in the 90s. they could be a bitch to start at -35 below.
often times one guy wrapped rope around clutch and one guy on the sled rope and pull together to turn that Mother over. those were the days.

You should try starting a 1200 twin when its cold.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can get your sled started it should run fine at all temps. When I bought my 96 XLT I would go out at -35 all day. Today not so much.
Engine sure, but it sure is hard on everything else.....

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone was hard on OLD BOY when he wanted starting options....

Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking about that the other day. Definitely no way that would work. It seems the SS on my turbo spins the engine over slower than my 2019 NA.
I have not experienced a sled this stubborn to start in the cold till this turbo, engine was so stiff it felt like it was seized at first trying to slowly pull it over.
I watched my neighbor start his NA 850 on the second pull the same day, and it was on a deck as well.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didnt think he said it was hard to start, just that it ran like crap when it did.

For cold starts - Easiest thing to do is keep a bottle of MAPP / propane and a blow torch tip in the box of the truck or the trailer. Ram that up the exhaust outlet for a few mins, slowly roll the motor over 180 to get hot air in both cylinders. Split the pipe at the silencer for better penetration. If she dont fire right up after that, its too fawking cold to ride.

Top Bottom