2020 sleds

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm the sound of a triple piped triple!!! Each one had there own distinct exhaust tone, A cat triple had a howl,, Doo had a lower tone rumble, Yamaha would scream, ( depending on stinger type) But out on the hill you could most times tell what brand was climbing by the sound!

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man did those things chew! buddy had a triple piped mach in high school. BRAAAAP

I had a 925 in the late 90s stuffed into a 136 chassis with a Formula S 380 hood. That got some looks at the shelters when the boys went out for a race and I held back before joining them. They'd ask if I was there to drop the flag. When I pulled up to the line with a very dofferent sounding 380 more than a few helmets turned!!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta say they sounded awesome but I honestly preferred the sound of my vmax4 with quad psi pipes and a the Cdi box.
I loved my vmax4 800,then I loved my 97 mountain max, then my 98 srx, summitX, ultra triple triple,156 summitX, 700 800 summits, vertical mistake with nitrous , 174 M7, 174 m1000,174 turbo pro and Alpha. Hopefully 2020 brings some new bling because the old stuff was great but the new stuff is always better.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I loved my vmax4 800,then I loved my 97 mountain max, then my 98 srx, summitX, ultra triple triple,156 summitX, 700 800 summits, vertical mistake with nitrous , 174 M7, 174 m1000,174 turbo pro and Alpha. Hopefully 2020 brings some new bling because the old stuff was great but the new stuff is always better.
My 1974 thunder jet with race pipe, my boondocker turbo apex and my vmax 4 were my favourite. But my pops 700 viper sounds great too. Hoping for some new stuff also.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone should have an old triple in their garage....I had a 2001 SRX restored over the summer months....cant wait to ride it on days off next week.

nice sled! the devil in a blue dress lol we had a few of these go through the dealership, ohlins shocks?

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice sled! the devil in a blue dress lol we had a few of these go through the dealership, ohlins shocks?
You bet it has ohlins. Spent the last 8 months finding new old stock parts all over North America. Wasn’t cheap but you can’t put a price on cool.

Last edited:

moose4

Reaction score
this is a wrap...there cant be a GENESIS 2 STROKE!!!!GENESIS MEANS FOUR STROKE!!!!FACT

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They've had the technology for years to do this, maybe patents are in the way.

Also I'm wondering how long before we do away with spark plugs. With direct fuel injection, technically you could build gas engines the same as a diesel, using compression and heat combined with timed injection to fire the fuel instead of a plug. No plugs, no coils. Wouldn't have to worry about detonation = higher compression ratios and way more Boost. Everybody likes more boost!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read this article on the technology Koenigsegg is utlizing in their hyper/mega cars. Saw some responses in this thread about wanting a lighter weight 4 stroke engine using something of this nature. Not a bad read and maybe a glimpse into the future.

If Koenigsegg can make 1350-1500hp engines with no cams i am thinking it is a proven technology.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/is-the-era-of-the-camless-valvetrain-finally-upon-us-technologue/

Im pretty sure that engine makes that power on pure e100.
There is some hidden gains with the 4 strokes by adding ethanol to the fuel.

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that engine makes that power on pure e100.
There is some hidden gains with the 4 strokes by adding ethanol to the fuel.

You can make a fair amount more power with ethanol, but the fuel consumption is also a fair amount more. So maybe not ideal for sledding in the back country.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha with their experience in engine tech could easily bring on a cam less, gear less and chain less 4 stroke to the sled market.
Making the engine much lighter and more compact.
But to add to this with today's current system's available to this Cat chassis they also could eliminate even more weight by replacing the current gear box and jack shaft system, with the Diamond drive.

These 2 changes would make the Yamaha weight darn near a 2 stroke sled but with superior power and reliability.

With some techy ecu tricks, i bet the engine could be made to reverse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom