2018 Yamaha Sidewinder MTX 162 Build

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the difference in what is in mine vs yours, mine is much flatter and weighted more at the tip,
is the bottom weight the one your using, looks pretty flat.
weight1.jpg
26e39024be78873138caee010d6ff59d.jpg

Last edited:

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a reference we used to run a straight 47 on nytros my understanding is roller tends to act about 6deg shallower than the button on the nytros. I am running the same tune as you and only difference from what you have said is that epi strong purple spring that’s why you needing 70+ grams is still surprising to me. I love the throttle response and pull of this sled at 64-65grams 9000-9200rpm that evo initially recommended but I’m not a climber so the top end track speed is not my priority we have also rode a lot in really deep snow so maybe loads change things a lot. If track speed is the ultimate I would think a steeper helix would be your ultimate gain and target your 8800 8900rpm

Yep the 39 helix was recommended for climbing and creating track speed. Which it has done. I ran the QA70’s empty but I believe I can stuff 1-2G’s In depending on snow conditions. The EPI purple spring is quite a bit stiffer then the spring you mentioned running. Giving me a little more rpm.

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m going to run the same QA70’s with EPI Purple spring and 39 helix in deeper snow and see how the sled pulls.

If I cannot pull the weight/helix I’ll toss in the QA62’s and take-out weight as needed.

I’m covered from 62G’s - 77G’s with just the two sets of Arms. Same Profile.

That’s the reasoning I wanted to try the QA70’s loaded up with the 35Degree helix for more adjustability with snow conditions.

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both with QA70’s and 39Helix. Couple other sidewinder guys rode my sled and said it’s really smooth and pulls really hard.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great info and discussion guys, thanks for keeping everyone in the loop Chris! I think your really close!! I really don’t like the looks of those thunder product weights lmao next to the Dalton’s they just look so out of place. Did you ever order up those tungsten slugs? Again as Lund has mentioned key here is tip weight on a lighter profile base weight. It’s easy to go backwards at this point. I agree with Lund, your helix is too steep as well, at this point small changes make big differences. Do you have anything in between the 35 and 39 helix? I think a 38 straight would be really close or might have to drop down to a 37 the tungsten slugs used to be pretty cheap Mayb $20 for a pack and the difference they make is huge

Good luck

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top end sounds great, a little hesitant on the bottom, can tell you have those heavy base weights in there...

Tungsten slugs loaded in the tips and back to the 62 bases on a shallower helix is my recommendation

Great poke!

Thanks, currently I only have the 33/35 helix, 35, 39 might have to get either 37 or 38.

Yes I dislike the Thunder Products just simply
For adjustability. Love the Daltons. Simple.

No slugs ordered but might have to be an option loading up the QA62’s

Trailbreaker

Reaction score
Perfect thank you, that's the exact same setup I just put on , did you maintain the stock post angle all the way up through the riser, hopefully get to try it out tomorrow and do some adjusting

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perfect thank you, that's the exact same setup I just put on , did you maintain the stock post angle all the way up through the riser, hopefully get to try it out tomorrow and do some adjusting

Thats your best bet. Keep the riser the angle as the steering post then roll your bars forward.

I have the same bars and a 4" CFR riser, setting it up like mentioned above worked well for me last season.

Xmrider163

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats your best bet. Keep the riser the angle as the steering post then roll your bars forward.

I have the same bars and a 4" CFR riser, setting it up like mentioned above worked well for me last season.

Riser stays in-line and rolled my bars to where it felt good and tightened. Feels great. More control when ski’s are in the air climbing. Biggest thing I noticed.

Top Bottom