2018 Skidoo Summit Mechanical Changes.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 2018 Skidoo Summit G4 850 Mechanical Changes.

Here is my issue. Why not design a bulk head as strong as the axys or pros? I have rode Polaris sleds for ever I have a box full of busted a arms but never a bulk head! Polaris has so many other issues that I'm not going to get into that caused me to buy a ski Doo last year but the bulk head ain't one of them. Ski Doo engineering is unbelievable with what they have come up with it's just sad that they can't get the bulk head sorted out. You should be able to nail a hidden log or smash a tree or clip a rock and not worry about your bulk head. A arms, plastic,bumpers etc or easy fixes and should fail long before the bulkhead. Period.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dave said there is no problem with the bulk head. ONLY 60 sleds broke...so whats your point. IT NOT A PROBLEM

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'll flow with this, it was never the sled having the problem, its a bad procreation of rock's for this 2017 season in sledding areas. It appears that they also have an attraction to G4's. That explain's why no one else...well you know

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have bent many trailing arms on the older sleds (ski-doo and polaris) and some bent bulk heads, we put bracing on the rev's to protect those bullheads, then I had to replace 2 s-modules and one bulkhead on friends xm's. Not once did anybody complain that things were weak or not strong enough. If people would have rode later in Dec. instead of so early there would have been less problems and we would not be hearing all this. Now when polaris had trouble with drivers breaking and fixing with a clamp, the ski doo guys were all over that, but the next season polaris fixed it with a clamp or better glue. Next years cats new sled (2018) will have a few little issues and ski-coo and polaris guys will bash them. Its just a cycle that everyone gets a turn every couple years. So as some people on here say, get off this internet and get out and ride. Things break from cars to motorbikes to bicycles, but we fix and do what we are supposed to do RIDE

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have bent many trailing arms on the older sleds (ski-doo and polaris) and some bent bulk heads, we put bracing on the rev's to protect those bullheads, then I had to replace 2 s-modules and one bulkhead on friends xm's. Not once did anybody complain that things were weak or not strong enough. If people would have rode later in Dec. instead of so early there would have been less problems and we would not be hearing all this. Now when polaris had trouble with drivers breaking and fixing with a clamp, the ski doo guys were all over that, but the next season polaris fixed it with a clamp or better glue. Next years cats new sled (2018) will have a few little issues and ski-coo and polaris guys will bash them. Its just a cycle that everyone gets a turn every couple years. So as some people on here say, get off this internet and get out and ride. Things break from cars to motorbikes to bicycles, but we fix and do what we are supposed to do RIDE
I complained about both of my revs when i first got them. I didnt complain about my pros because i bought them knowing the issues. I bent the bulk heads lots on the revs. And always bent them back.

Ski doo adressed some issues fast in my opinion. Good on them to bad for the ones having issues.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

roadlinur113

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'll flow with this, it was never the sled having the problem, its a bad procreation of rock's for this 2017 season in sledding areas. It appears that they also have an attraction to G4's. That explain's why no one else...well you know

Perhaps it's you riding that metric ton 4 stroke that has actually compressed the soil enough to expose the bulkhead breaking rocks ? You sir are so full of hot air I know EXACTLY where your turbos wastegate exhausts too :realmad:

Last edited:

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

Dave said there is no problem with the bulk head. ONLY 60 sleds broke...so whats your point. IT NOT A PROBLEM

60 broke, 1/3 of those broke with no other damage to skis, shocks, spindles, which is they hit the sweet spot on the spindle and the bulkhead cracked at a 15-30 degree, the brace fixes that issue, the other 2/3 had damage to all other parts or one other part that was significant, this is the difference. It is hard to know how hard someone hit something as of course they say they ride wide open all the time, till they hit something, then they say they were going 10km/hr. If someone hit something and no other damage to front end part, that is a problem and it now has a fix, you still have to hit the sled, it does not happen by actually hitting a pine cone. This is how they found out and were able to recreate the issue. Out of $$,000 sleds that is a very small percentage. Still sucks but better there is a fix, and yes it wont break in that way with the brace.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

60 broke, 1/3 of those broke with no other damage to skis, shocks, spindles, which is they hit the sweet spot on the spindle and the bulkhead cracked at a 15-30 degree, the brace fixes that issue, the other 2/3 had damage to all other parts or one other part that was significant, this is the difference. It is hard to know how hard someone hit something as of course they say they ride wide open all the time, till they hit something, then they say they were going 10km/hr. If someone hit something and no other damage to front end part, that is a problem and it now has a fix, you still have to hit the sled, it does not happen by actually hitting a pine cone. This is how they found out and were able to recreate the issue. Out of $$,000 sleds that is a very small percentage. Still sucks but better there is a fix, and yes it wont break in that way with the brace.
Thanks for the info Dave, So many asshats out there (Lund)..... yes the Earth will still continue to rotate and more G4's will be built.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What a joke. Same old story from the doo flag wavers. Don't hit anything and you won't hurt anything. God forbid you clip a chunk of ice or top of a rock on the trail cuz apparently that's damage caused by impact. And if you manage to catch a tree or rock then your riding too early in the season or going way too fast.

Weird how none of the other three sled companies have this issue nor does anyone representing them come out and say such ridiculous stuff.

Reminds me of the clamp issue on the pro. Except they changed the design so it's not an issue anymore. Motor took a little longer to fix but they eventually got it so it seems. And never was the rider blamed.

Tell you what Norona, and the other cheerleaders that can't seem to understand why people are so up in arms about this issue first realize this; this issue has been ongoing for almost 10 years just seems to be moving around from modules to now bulkheads. And added up its ALOT more than 60 machines with issues if you take that into account. People are pissed because the rest of the machine of present and since at least '13 is fairly good and handles amazing and it's frustrating for such a stupid flaw to drag on so long.

So step back for a second, take off the doo goggles, set your doolaide down, and look at the other manufacturers. Their sleds ride the same areas and the same terrain at the same time of year as those on a doo and you don't hear about this issue from any of them. Then ask yourself why is this? They don't need special braces. How do they doo it? Then when you find yourself asking the question, maybe you can see it from the perspective of the owners. Cuz these are the questions that come to their mind.

Nothing personal BTW, I just feel some people are letting loyalty get in the way of the big picture. And doo riders are some of the most loyal out there and for good reason. Doo makes a good product, they just seriously need to fix this issue and get their clutching sorted out and stop trying to be the lightest. Get back to building an as close to flawless product possible. This will keep the people happy moreso than an extra 10hp, or a fancy wrap.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What a joke. Same old story from the doo flag wavers. Don't hit anything and you won't hurt anything. God forbid you clip a chunk of ice or top of a rock on the trail cuz apparently that's damage caused by impact. And if you manage to catch a tree or rock then your riding too early in the season or going way too fast.

Weird how none of the other three sled companies have this issue nor does anyone representing them come out and say such ridiculous stuff.

Reminds me of the clamp issue on the pro. Except they changed the design so it's not an issue anymore. Motor took a little longer to fix but they eventually got it so it seems. And never was the rider blamed.

Tell you what Norona, and the other cheerleaders that can't seem to understand why people are so up in arms about this issue first realize this; this issue has been ongoing for almost 10 years just seems to be moving around from modules to now bulkheads. And added up its ALOT more than 60 machines with issues if you take that into account. People are pissed because the rest of the machine of present and since at least '13 is fairly good and handles amazing and it's frustrating for such a stupid flaw to drag on so long.

So step back for a second, take off the doo goggles, set your doolaide down, and look at the other manufacturers. Their sleds ride the same areas and the same terrain at the same time of year as those on a doo and you don't hear about this issue from any of them. Then ask yourself why is this? They don't need special braces. How do they doo it? Then when you find yourself asking the question, maybe you can see it from the perspective of the owners. Cuz these are the questions that come to their mind.

Nothing personal BTW, I just feel some people are letting loyalty get in the way of the big picture. And doo riders are some of the most loyal out there and for good reason. Doo makes a good product, they just seriously need to fix this issue and get their clutching sorted out and stop trying to be the lightest. Get back to building an as close to flawless product possible. This will keep the people happy moreso than an extra 10hp, or a fancy wrap.
Stop the presses!!! what do u want to hear? That the engineering group f...edup? Ya they should have made some of the casting areas 6mm thicker. I agree. There moving forward with it. Nobody seems to remember the 100's of thousands of 6L ford trucks. The engine issues that many owners were on the hook for several thousands of dollars in repairs to keep them running. Ford moved on.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stop the presses!!! what do u want to hear? That the engineering group f...edup? Ya they should have made some of the casting areas 6mm thicker. I agree. There moving forward with it. Nobody seems to remember the 100's of thousands of 6L ford trucks. The engine issues that many owners were on the hook for several thousands of dollars in repairs to keep them running. Ford moved on.

Every time i see a old 6L I still mumble "what a piece of crap".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I hope there is a way to exhaust the air that's designed to move, it will make things hotter if not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Delete your account, LBZ. How many f*&king times do we need to read these shi##y sarcastic posts. That was hard to read. .. maybe I should delete mine. If I were BRP I would send all these G4 owners a muffin basket and a reinforcement plate and the internet nerds like you wouldn't get one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gopherchoker

Reaction score

The two issues I see here is:
1.the bulkheads were breaking with out damage to the a-arms on a ski hit
------hopefully rectified, and hopefully doo will help out '17 owners in this circumstance.

2. When damage occurs during a ski hit, it damages a arms and breaks out bulkhead. **** this is worse than an Xm and a step backwards due to with a bent S mod you threw new parts on and continued riding until you had time to repair. With an G4 your $14-18k sled is now a lawn ornament for the rest of your trip.
------ hopefully the brace and updated casting make this a reality

I do speak with limited experience due to smashing a land mine in valemont with my Xm at 30 Mph on my outer ski edge. Tweaked it but threw on new a arms, shock, and tie rod and was back riding. I am leaning toward a snocheck this year and I really putting my faith into the belief doo has this under control.

IMG_4925.JPG

Last edited:

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What constitutes a damaging hit? Hearing lots of i was barely moving but it threw me off or I
Just clipped it and bucked me to the side. If I clipped a curb or rock with my truck in the same situation I would expect damage to my front end as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BRP should have some test pilots who can give the sleds a thorough pre-production run and provide feedback to BRP on potential failure points or piss poor engineering so the issues are resolved long before the consumer receives the product to test for them.. Glad i can help out my buddies who are buying an 18', we've already done the testing for them.

I'm happy guys like Kuster provide those Kusterize videos so we can fix any of the problems.....
Just pull this foam out, drill a bunch of holes here, hope you never blow a belt cause that's the easy part, wait till you have to put the guard back on, who needs gauges - most importantly, don't hit anything in the ROCKY Mountains Alpine with the most expensive snowmobile being sold...over it...

Bombardier manufactures airplanes - if less than 1% of the Production G6 airplanes cracked the fuselage due to hitting turbulence - BRP would not get a next year.....

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Delete your account, LBZ. How many f*&king times do we need to read these shi##y sarcastic posts. That was hard to read. .. maybe I should delete mine. If I were BRP I would send all these G4 owners a muffin basket and a reinforcement plate and the internet nerds like you wouldn't get one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
77620d2d5b0b8cfedca262adb54a64c6.jpg

Sorry not sarcasm. Regurgitated truth and possibly perspective altering examples of how to look at the situation from the point of view of those upset about the issues.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!

BRP should have some test pilots who can give the sleds a thorough pre-production run and provide feedback to BRP on potential failure points or piss poor engineering so the issues are resolved long before the consumer receives the product to test for them.. Glad i can help out my buddies who are buying an 18', we've already done the testing for them.

I'm happy guys like Kuster provide those Kusterize videos so we can fix any of the problems.....
Just pull this foam out, drill a bunch of holes here, hope you never blow a belt cause that's the easy part, wait till you have to put the guard back on, who needs gauges - most importantly, don't hit anything in the ROCKY Mountains Alpine with the most expensive snowmobile being sold...over it...

BRP also manufactures airplanes - if less than 1% of the Production G6 airplanes cracked the fuselage due to hitting turbulence - BRP would not get a next year.....

This post should be on a plaque in BRP's CEO'S office.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BRP also manufactures airplanes - if less than 1% of the Production G6 airplanes cracked the fuselage due to hitting turbulence - BRP would not get a next year.....[/QUOTE]

Oh? When did this happen?:confused:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BRP also manufactures airplanes - if less than 1% of the Production G6 airplanes cracked the fuselage due to hitting turbulence - BRP would not get a next year.....

BRP does not manufacture airplanes......

BRP = Bombardier Recreation Products ie: recreation toys...

Top Bottom