2018/19 Revelstoke and Area Updates

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone should be reading that. They should also preach what they read to their friends.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the state of Hall? According to the website it is open, but I've heard the FSR is active and plowed?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

Folks should sign in at the cabins also.

The sign in pages should be updated with a column that people can put their radio frequency they are using.
Greatly assists SAR when there is a known channel to use.

I have also mentioned to some of the Revelsoke society group that a sign in/out book could be set up at the main boulder booth for those folks going to Turtle. as this area has no cabin.

Just because folks park in the Boulder lot, there is still access to 3 mountains.

It is fortunate that the last 3 fellows were on Boulder and not Turtle as the search efforts could have been body recoveries.

A sign would need to be made to state. SIGN IN/OUT IF GOING TO TURTLE and a BOOK. Place at the Boulder Main, Frisby and West booths,

Easy peasy and a the society showing their "Due Diligence" to all snombobile users providing a very low cost and hopefully effective tool.

No one can help the ones who fail to use the provided tools if they are available..

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The sign in pages should be updated with a column that people can put their radio frequency they are using.

I have also mentioned to some of the Revelsoke society group that a sign in/out book could be set up at the main boulder booth for those folks going to Turtle. as this area has no cabin.

Just because folks park in the Boulder lot, there is still access to 3 mountains.

It is fortunate that the last 3 fellows were on Boulder and not Turtle as the search efforts could have been body recoveries.

A sign would need to be made to state. SIGN IN/OUT IF GOING TO TURTLE and a BOOK. Place at the Boulder Main, Frisby and West booths,

Easy peasy and a the society showing their "Due Diligence" to all snombobile users providing a very low cost and hopefully effective tool.

No one can help the ones who fail to use the provided tools if they are available..
Well thought out and great ideas!

Jjanke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

These are all great ideas. Especially the radio frequency column for sign in books.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea for Turtle! Also, why not leave a printout of your commonly used radio frequencies on the dash of your truck? That's my plan.

This is actually a very good idea, no harm in leaving planned riding areas as well on that sheet. I hardly ever go in any cabin so I like this idea.

Would S@R actually look in the truck left in the parking lot???? Or would they immediately default to the book at the cabin.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People need to have the fear of death when they are in the back country. Not “oh well search and rescue will save me”. Be responsible for your own actions.

Thats a fact, some people do not. Combined with the attitude that nothing will ever happen to them, is a dangerous combination.

Reaction score
Website
revelstokesnowmobileclub.com
Thank you for your suggestions about modifying the sign in sheets
at each of the Boulder and Frisby Cabins.
Although there is not presently an extra column, you can write what radio channel you are using, as well as what hotel you are staying at, in addition to or instead of your home address. The sign in sheets only work if everyone uses them properly.

It is your responsibility as a backcountry user
to
have a trip plan,
inform a family member or friend where you heading, what time you expect to be back, and what radio channel you are using b
efore heading into any backcountry area.
[SUB][SUP][/SUP][/SUB][SUB][SUP][/SUP][/SUB][SUB][SUP][/SUP][/SUB][SUB][SUP][/SUP][/SUB][SUB][SUP][/SUP][/SUB]
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
Turtle Mountain is not presently managed by the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club. It is your responsibly to make contact arrangements and inform them of your trip plan.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading about the folks who spent the night and the threads about Sat phones/SPOTs, I have ordered an inReach. Is there a cell number for the club that I can program in to send a message if I happen to need assistance or just to say that we are OK and don't need SAR if we haven't signed out?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading about the folks who spent the night and the threads about Sat phones/SPOTs, I have ordered an inReach. Is there a cell number for the club that I can program in to send a message if I happen to need assistance or just to say that we are OK and don't need SAR if we haven't signed out?

RCMP. The people at the club do not need to be called at 2am to be told some dude with a sick wrap dropped into the toilet bowl.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, RCMP. S&R can not be dispatched unless its reported through RCMP i believe. Be sure to go through, and understand how to use what ever device you end up with. Spot X has 2 way communication as well.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I understand contacting the RCMP if I need SAR. What is the procedure if my vehicle is left in the parking lot longer than expected because we are limping a broken sled out or something such? Do I let the RCMP know that I am actually fine and let the club go through the whole process of checking log books, contacting RCMP, etc just to find out from the RCMP that they shouldn't have worried?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The club does not going looking for people until they are reported missing to the RCMP.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I understand contacting the RCMP if I need SAR. What is the procedure if my vehicle is left in the parking lot longer than expected because we are limping a broken sled out or something such? Do I let the RCMP know that I am actually fine and let the club go through the whole process of checking log books, contacting RCMP, etc just to find out from the RCMP that they shouldn't have worried?

You do not have to notify the RCMP or the RSC if your machine breaks on the hill. Wow... maybe you should try a different sport if you are that unsure about being in the back country.

Top Bottom