2016 m8000 suspension setup

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the handling in the mountains, very agile, flickable, but in the fields I find the front end very nervous and the skis like to hunt and oversteer. I can't really open up the sled. I've increased pressure in the front skid shock which helped somewhat. Should I get wider skis, longer a arms?

RFish

Reaction score
Ya that's a tough one. I don't even ride my m in fields anymore. Use crossfire. I guess if a guy had a full set of crossfire arms and shocks and change each time but Lotta work.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the 16 front end on my 2014 M1100 and don't find that it's nervous. I am running Simmons skis on it so that may be the difference. You may need to have the toe in checked. It should actually be toed out. I would start by checking that. The 16's Skis are an improvement over the older skis so I don't think that's the issue. Again it points back to the Ski alignment.

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running the 8" or 10" Simmons? I will check my ski alignment. How much toe out should I have?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you running the 8" or 10" Simmons? I will check my ski alignment. How much toe out should I have?

I'm Running the Gen 1 Simmons and I believe the toe out is 3/8" but don't quote me on that. I had the install Done at T&T and haven't had any issues. Call Mark at T&T and ask him what the toe out should be.

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone else running there 2016's across the fields and having the same issues? I've driven a nytro with 10" simmons for 8 years, so I need to learn how to drive these new lightweight narrow sleds. But I'm worried about oversteering the sled and loosing control and also dropping down in a bowl at high speeds in set up snow. What makes the front end light, easy to steer and maneuver, is making it a little scary at higher speeds.:d

Last edited:

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running the SLP Mohawks on my 15 with a 16 front end. Handles great, no darting and very planted for a sled with a 36" stance. Skis would be my recommendation to try to calm it down. Cat hasn't been known for their amazing skis over the years hahaha.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the handling in the mountains, very agile, flickable, but in the fields I find the front end very nervous and the skis like to hunt and oversteer. I can't really open up the sled. I've increased pressure in the front skid shock which helped somewhat. Should I get wider skis, longer a arms?

Mine does the same in the right conditions, I have a set of Polaris grippers that I just havent installed yet. The grippers work good I run them on an old M and did use then on my 14. I am still assessing the new Cat skis but will put the Polaris ones on soon. Did you try to widen the stance on your 16? I am still learning this machine but have found that adjusting the shock pressues are critical to how the sled reacts. There is a shock video worth watching on the Skinz site, it may help.

Last edited:

Uptown

Reaction score
The new ski should be great,it has a deep keel. check the toe setting for sure. Check / add air pressure to the front shocks for stability, the snow pro stock setting is 60, limited is 90 psi with no load on them.. Increase pressure will increase stability. Wide ski setting changes the stability dramatically. I just brought home a 16 m8 limited 153 so have not rode it hardly at all except around the yard. Will be heading to the hills soon though.

Top Bottom