2016/17 snowfall predictions!'

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully theres lots of big dumps this year. I remember 06/07 being a wicked year. Also reading about the massive storms on the coast was pretty neat. I remember Stewart getting 3-3.5 feet overnight in town. The pics and video in the hills over the next few days had me drooling. So. Damned. Deep. Praying for lots of dry over the hood type snow!!:D

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It appears that I will be off for the whole winter so I really hope we get lots of snow and blue bird days

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey now Tex, not all of us live right in the mountains. It would be nice to be able to go for a local ride without having to drive for hours to go sledding!!
Ya, used to ride both

Ditches only make ya long for the real snow so.....

I'll give ya one, u can have the minus 40, but the snow stops at bow summit lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, used to ride both

Ditches only make ya long for the real snow so.....

I'll give ya one, u can have the minus 40, but the snow stops at bow summit lol

You live in the "mountains" and still only trail ride
icon10.gif

But they are nice trails none the less I suppose lol

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fresh white on the tops of the mountains at Nordegg and south
just a couple of questions if they are fairly easy to answer : 1 roughly how high is this
2 is this generally an area that shows signs of snow very early most seasons.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just a couple of questions if they are fairly easy to answer : 1 roughly how high is this

Thinking of a little early bird August sled trip?

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow line came down to roughly 5000. Ya, snow comes and goes all year long lol. It's Alberta, can snow any day of the year, except last winter

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am glad I am not the only one looking at the predictions for this winter. Being that I have been close to predicting the futures of snow fall for the Eastern Slope regions of Alberta (yeah go ahead and check, it is true), I will throw my 2016 -2017 Winter predictions in as well.
The Winter Scientists are in a state of chaos. Although this is normal, the modelling for the winter has not come up with a solid trend of what this winter will look like.
Last Years El Nino was as strong as predicted, but there was an anomaly that came to surface (literally), it was the "The Blob".
El Nino strength is predicted and evaluated by ENSO, which is the warm water circulation up and down in the Pacific ocean that influences the Sea Surface Temperatures (SST) at the equator. The zone ENSO 3.4 has the most influence, which helps predicting how the rest of the zones will react.
What was not predicted was the Blob. The Blob is a warm water upwelling off the coast of California that pushed all sorts of warm weather and moisture higher up and further east than normal in the atmosphere. Which made a warm and dry winter for the west coast, made it rainy in the mid west and a little warmer on the east.
The Winter Scientists are calling for a 50/50 La Nina Winter which will produce a cold snowy winter for the west, but the Blob came out of no where, thus the chaos.
By now the Winter Scientists usually begin to line up to predict the winterscape. This is big business as quite a few people rely on this for winter planning, budgets and food production. It is a bit quiet right now from the Winter Scientists with out any firm predictions or indications of which way it will be.
Like us, they are observing the fall weather to get a glimpse of history has told us about a cool wet fall.
Other than my 2/2 Score for Prediction Reputation at stake...
My prediction is that a 155" track will be required to navigate off trail riding on the flat lands of Alberta. Those that Snowchek'd the 174" tracks are ahead of the curve.
Happy Trails.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fresh snow in the Kootenays this morning way up top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom