2016 163 3" suspension set up help

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello, i just purchased a 2016 163 3" axys snow check with piggy back shocks up front and the rear skid shock, im coming off a 2013 163 pro and am having a hell of a time with this new sled, it doesn't want to get up on edge and i cant get the thing to side hill unless the snow is real deep, is this because of the 3" track? i also removed the sway bar and it helped but not a lot. any set up advice would be appreciated as this thing is starting to drive me crazy and makes me want to jump back on my old pro. Thanks in advance.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello, i just purchased a 2016 163 3" axys snow check with piggy back shocks up front and the rear skid shock, im coming off a 2013 163 pro and am having a hell of a time with this new sled, it doesn't want to get up on edge and i cant get the thing to side hill unless the snow is real deep, is this because of the 3" track? i also removed the sway bar and it helped but not a lot. any set up advice would be appreciated as this thing is starting to drive me crazy and makes me want to jump back on my old pro. Thanks in advance.

I have this exact sled and found it easier than my 2013 155" with the 2.4" track. I have the RTS fairly hard, the FTS about middle of the threads, and the ski shocks backed off as far as they can without the spring bouncing loose when they are in the air.

This is the best set up for climbing as well

Côme

Reaction score
Ski shocks hard , front rear shock at least middle , and rear shock soft. That's tree riding set up.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski shocks hard , front rear shock at least middle , and rear shock soft. That's tree riding set up.

I disagree with a hard front end being beneficial for tree riding. Softer shocks will allow for body roll to make initiating sidehills easier and when side hill a softer shock will absorb the humps and bumps. If the shocks are stiff the whole chassis will react to every thing you ride over while on edge.

Côme

Reaction score
Reason why I say stiff front shocks , is because he is running factory shocks , with sway bar disconnected . When your side hilling and you have all the weight on one ski , and your ski shocks are soft , you will be so far into the stoke that you won't have any shock travel left for when u run over rough terrain. Which will result in getting bucked. Another reason for stiff front shocks is to keep weight transfer to the rear. Skis have to b light in order to make tree riding a breeze . If it wheelies to much , then stiffen up your rear track shock ,till u are comfortable .

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reason why I say stiff front shocks , is because he is running factory shocks , with sway bar disconnected . When your side hilling and you have all the weight on one ski , and your ski shocks are soft , you will be so far into the stoke that you won't have any shock travel left for when u run over rough terrain. Which will result in getting bucked. Another reason for stiff front shocks is to keep weight transfer to the rear. Skis have to b light in order to make tree riding a breeze . If it wheelies to much , then stiffen up your rear track shock ,till u are comfortable .

To each their own.

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend running everything as soft as possible then adding preload and compression dampening to get rid of bottom out. This setup has worked best for me in all conditions other than super mega deep days when climbing so a little extra to stiffen the rear helps to keep form trenching so much.

Not sure if your shocks have rebound dampening or not but i found adding some (fox Evol 3's) kept me from bouncing off my line while poaching a track on the super deep days too

Hope this helps

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not so much the suspension it's the front end of the axys I've had the pro, pro climb and e xm's. The front end of the axys feels like a trail sled it's to wide and requires to much input to side hill or change direction it's the lightest but requires the most effort to ride. Die hard will argue but get on a xm and tip it over then get on the axys tip it over if you don't pull hard enough it tips right back now put a hill their if you don't have 2 feet of fresh it's the same thing. T motion and the front end of the Xm is amazing the polaris is a great sled but I think they need to loose 3-4 inches of ski stance

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I moved the ski stance narrower before my last ride and it made a world of difference.
I imagine the effect would be even greater on the Pro rmk with the narrower ski stance compared to the assault.

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the input everyone, i think the plan will be to go with one of the 36"-37" front end, i forgot to mention that im running that on my 13 pro and love it and believe that could be a big part of the issues im having with the axys. thx again for all the advice.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a pretty good sale from a vendor in Colorado on Zbroz, both the front end kit and Exit shocks. PM me for info.

Top Bottom