2015 F150 anyone have one yet?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Really ?
I have a aluminum welder and steel welder combined and it wasn't a huge cost.

I won't go into a chit load of detail , cause I really don't care but aluminum corrodes when steel contacts it . Ever seen a rear gate all corroded around the wiper arm? Or a hood that's rotten. ? That's what is gonna be a problem. Your supposed to have a special room for aluminum work so there's no cross contamination and crap like that. So different everything to not contaminate it. And like I said. The panels are put on with rivits , so how tight will they be in a few years. . I am skeptical on the future of these ideas ,, So it's not the cost of a TIG , it's the cost for the owner or shop to prepare a special room to fix these things ,,, and guys your right. GM and dodge will follow with aluminum bodies for sure.

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has a body shop and he said with a combination of equipment that is needed it's around $60,000.00 and a sh1t load of training that isn't cheap, the insurance wants before they will allow them to work on there insureds vehicle. He also said they will pay a higher labor rate, how much don't know. When all makes go this route it will eliminate a lot of the smaller shops, to bad because they is a shortage of body man as it is.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Buddy has a body shop and he said with a combination of equipment that is needed it's around $60,000.00 and a sh1t load of training that isn't cheap, the insurance wants before they will allow them to work on there insureds vehicle. He also said they will pay a higher labor rate, how much don't know. When all makes go this route it will eliminate a lot of the smaller shops, to bad because they is a shortage of body man as it is.

Yup. It's gonna be learning curve and a big kick in the sack for owners but if you wanna survive and get ins work you have to roll with the changes , And I am glad I don't have to pay for any of it. Maybe I will get a raise seeing as how it's probably the lowest paid trade out there. If it wasn't for flat rate pay there wouldn't be any body men around

Anywho. Back to these wonderful fords :)

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Lower hourly rate maybe, but the flat rate times are pretty ridiculous. My buddy (and he's VERY good at his job, I know), made near 200k last year as a body man. He has NO problem doing 500 hours in a typical 173.3hr month. I'm betting there are a LOT of tradesman that didn't make half that last year.

HeavyD111

Reaction score
200k body guy? Thats incredible. Guess if you have a talent for something and really push, one can do well in almost any trade

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Lower hourly rate maybe, but the flat rate times are pretty ridiculous. My buddy (and he's VERY good at his job, I know), made near 200k last year as a body man. He has NO problem doing 500 hours in a typical 173.3hr month. I'm betting there are a LOT of tradesman that didn't make half that last year.

Certainly not me. Worked with one guy that averaged 200 in two weeks but he was pretty good at certain things ..

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don`t forget with those kind of hours, I don't care how good you are the quality suffers.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The riveter alone is a ridiculous cost. 10-$12,000. !!!
. I am going to a aluminum course this week. I will report back with some info for you all.

I have a few hundred empty beer cans if ya need some practice!!!! lol j/k

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Don`t forget with those kind of hours, I don't care how good you are the quality suffers.

I promise you, his quality does NOT suffer. Certainly has the lowest comeback rate in the shop (almost non existant), and I would trust him to work on anything and everything. And he has. Did 75 hours worth of work on my tow rig in 3 days, and that was taking his time and being super-extra careful, cause he knows how picky I am with stuff. It's all the book times that are out of wack, IMO. An SUV tailgate break down and re-assembly is like 3-5 hours. GET SERIOUS!!!! That's part of the reason that insurance rates continue to sky rocket.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2014 6.2 GM gets better them any #'s posted.
Just saying

I have a 2010 6.2 Yukon Denali - I find the fuel mileage to be hot garbage. :/ I like the power and the vehicle itself - just not forking out $100 to drive 500 KM. ha

Last edited:

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't drive so fast ? Lol

My driving abstract would tell you that I don't speed. Looking at my cell phone at stop lights happens. Speeding ... Never ;)

Also, I live out of town, so almost no town/city driving. My kms are put on on the highway.

trade it in.

I thought about it, but* then I looked at the price of the new ones. Like I said, I like the vehicle and the bells and whistles (Read: heated steering wheel, dvd entertainment system etc) but I am NOT gonna pay $85g for the same thing with a new body on it. Also they don't have all wheel drive in 2015, I like my AWD.

*Kevin put the kybosh on it.**
** And I'm cheap

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
My driving abstract would tell you that I don't speed. Looking at my cell phone at stop lights happens. Speeding ... Never ;)

Also, I live out of town, so almost no town/city driving. My kms are put on on the highway.

I thought about it, but* then I looked at the price of the new ones. Like I said, I like the vehicle and the bells and whistles (Read: heated steering wheel, dvd entertainment system etc) but I am NOT gonna pay $85g for the same thing with a new body on it. Also they don't have all wheel drive in 2015, I like my AWD.

*Kevin put the kybosh on it.**
** And I'm cheap

Don't forget about the bum coolers. VERY important.

Top Bottom