2014 XM Can

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered a thing cooker for the new x today. Sure does look back yard built and a little pricey but the access to the cooker is what sold me. With the faster cookn time there is sure to be a few burnt lunches by losing track of time. Gonna have to put a baking timer on the bars lol. Havent heard of any problems but has anybody had any codes or bogs with this can?
Only guy that had an issue with the Thing that I have heard of is Sideways in Squamish but he was having other issues as well.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still dont understand how there is so much of a performance difference with different cans. Maybe a guy should start a separate thread in the general section to discuss. Its funny, you talk to a super knowledgeable engine builder like Dave Trygstad and he swears by the stock suitcase to make the best power. What is it about the stock can on the XMs that works so good? Why cant aftermarket can builders build something that works just as good but doesnt weigh as much?

Do different can configurations send different pulses back into the pipe? Because other than that, the only real variable would be the restriction and that should be simple to replicate no?? I guess the etecs have an extra variable with the exhaust sensor placement. Can anyone more knowledgeable than myself give any theory or explanation?

Im curious about the new diamond S titanium one, but would be leary to try something unproven. You dont really hear anything bad about the HPSs.

murrin

Reaction score
Ordered a thing cooker for the new x today. Sure does look back yard built and a little pricey but the access to the cooker is what sold me. With the faster cookn time there is sure to be a few burnt lunches by losing track of time. Gonna have to put a baking timer on the bars lol. Havent heard of any problems but has anybody had any codes or bogs with this can?

1000km's with mine and no issues!

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only guy that had an issue with the Thing that I have heard of is Sideways in Squamish but he was having other issues as well.

yup .. the thing cooker sits on the shelf now

maybe I got a bad one, but mine was way too loud, the worst part is cruising up the trails, that drone gave me a headache. It sounds loud but pretty good under wot. Also the clips on the cooker thingy started all falling apart, and my sled ran like crap very specifically when I went from WOT to part throttle back to WOT. seemed to be ok under other throttle conditions. swapped in the suitecase and problem disappeared

Later I had different problems with the sled, turned out to be a bad fuel pump which warranty took care of.

I'm willing to try the thingy again. They do suggest +2 grams of pin weight .. Got a clutch kit in her now so I can experiment with pin weights

It does look cheaply made (45* mig welds) but the hot meals make everyone jealous !

In the meantime i've been putting my sandwiches in a ziplock and stashing them on the clutch cover .. keeps the cheese melty!

here's a couple of clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLj_pit3A7s&feature=c4-overview&list=UUMZ5HpyscICKZ9ujZNglRKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mpiy5sBJHk&list=UUMZ5HpyscICKZ9ujZNglRKA

Last edited:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sell a ton of mbrp's actually is the only can I sell, this year we have a muff pot mount specifically for the mbrp so everyone can their favourite food.

Thank you

Deano

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup .. the thing cooker sits on the shelf now

maybe I got a bad one, but mine was way too loud, the worst part is cruising up the trails, that drone gave me a headache. It sounds loud but pretty good under wot. Also the clips on the cooker thingy started all falling apart, and my sled ran like crap very specifically when I went from WOT to part throttle back to WOT. seemed to be ok under other throttle conditions. swapped in the suitecase and problem disappeared

Later I had different problems with the sled, turned out to be a bad fuel pump which warranty took care of.

I'm willing to try the thingy again. They do suggest +2 grams of pin weight .. Got a clutch kit in her now so I can experiment with pin weights

It does look cheaply made (45* mig welds) but the hot meals make everyone jealous !

In the meantime i've been putting my sandwiches in a ziplock and stashing them on the clutch cover .. keeps the cheese melty!

here's a couple of clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLj_pit3A7s&feature=c4-overview&list=UUMZ5HpyscICKZ9ujZNglRKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mpiy5sBJHk&list=UUMZ5HpyscICKZ9ujZNglRKA

I bet Ur issue might have caused the can to get too hot and cause Ur sled was lean on fuel it got the can hotter than normal.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still dont understand how there is so much of a performance difference with different cans. Maybe a guy should start a separate thread in the general section to discuss. Its funny, you talk to a super knowledgeable engine builder like Dave Trygstad and he swears by the stock suitcase to make the best power. What is it about the stock can on the XMs that works so good? Why cant aftermarket can builders build something that works just as good but doesnt weigh as much?

Do different can configurations send different pulses back into the pipe? Because other than that, the only real variable would be the restriction and that should be simple to replicate no?? I guess the etecs have an extra variable with the exhaust sensor placement. Can anyone more knowledgeable than myself give any theory or explanation?

Im curious about the new diamond S titanium one, but would be leary to try something unproven. You dont really hear anything bad about the HPSs.

Personally I would believe the stock can is good enough for power and makes the sled run probably at it's best. It's just it's massive size and weight that make it such a PIA and the reason so many want to dump it. I liked being able to get at the chaincase without having to pull the can off.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No problems with the thing. I ran one on both my mountain sled and my renegade x at home

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^Your right it was super easy. And Scott seems like a great guy to deal with.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got this can from Ken at specialty sled. Was in there buying parts and saw his cans and they looked like a good unit to me. So just bought one of theirs.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the same as mine. 1500 km on mine last year and ran perfect. Sounds nice at wot and not horrible on trail. You will like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well chit I guess if my can falls apart I'll get a different one..... Not to worried about it tho.....

Top Bottom