2014 Ski-doo Snowmobiles. First impressions?

SnoRiders

Reaction score
Website
www.snoriderswest.com
Last night, Ski-Doo unveiled its new lineup of 2014 sleds. In a nutshell, the company tossed a new four-stroke engine into the mix, upgraded its REV-XS platform and gave more sleds the rMotion skid. As well, the REV-XM platform, tMotion suspension and FlexEdge track was expanded to other sleds in the mountain lineup.

First impressions?
Was this what you were hoping to see from Ski-Doo?

Polaris2012

Reaction score
Honestly, this was enough for me. the freeride was about all i expected from them. I think its a little crappy to expect a revolution every year, plus they dont really have an answer back from any of their competitors to create a need for changes to the summit. im glad to see they put some thought into accessories and gear. my 2 cents

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I expected. There were some pretty solid rumors out there about a weight reduction of 10-15 lbs. on the 800 Summits that didn't happen but still the best all around mountain sled in my opinion.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are those people who wanted bigger bores, turbo's, 3" tracks, more storage, huge weight drop's and such and overall I never had any expectations of much of a change. If you want a turbo, then go put a turbo on it.

A weight reduction would be nice. There are ways to cut weight on the XM. Why does it need a wiring harness that weighs 20+ pounds... Why does it need two heavy headlights in a mountain sled... the stock can, I am pretty sure %90 of the sleds out there throw away the stock can. Think about the impact of throwing away those cans. The entire airbox assembly needs to be worked on. Offer something from the Race Department.

The t-motion was a nice change for the XM. But why keep the torsion springs. Isn't it time to look at redesigning the skid. If guys like Tom's Snowmobile, and Baker can build a skid that encorporates a flex joint and does away with torsion springs, shouldn't BRP be able to?

Overall the XM was a success. They obviously sold lots of them. Some further refinements I think would appeal to the masses...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first impression is as I hoped. I wanted to see the freeride updated and that is what they did. Good color choice. Nice to see they are working on the four stroke and finally someone is coming out with drive by wire. Some of the options like the led lights are a nice touch for someone that rides a lot at night. The linq system is getting better. The have a good lineup and with the refinements they are getting better. Hopefully they have learned from the issues they had in the 13's and have improved on them.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first impression is as I hoped. I wanted to see the freeride updated and that is what they did. Good color choice. Nice to see they are working on the four stroke and finally someone is coming out with drive by wire. Some of the options like the led lights are a nice touch for someone that rides a lot at night. The linq system is getting better. The have a good lineup and with the refinements they are getting better. Hopefully they have learned from the issues they had in the 13's and have improved on them.

Just think about what that thing costs to replace the first time you roll the sled over. The size of that throttle block is silly. The components in it costly.

I hope they never put that thing on a mountain sled. The etec pull is so light already. It is not needed.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either way I don't like the idea of an electric throttle on a mountain sled. If it fails, you damage it or rip out the wires, chances are good your leaving it in the mountains or calling a chopper. It's not like a trail sled which you have a chance of towing home.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very interested in the 900ace going to see what it is in. Drove a 600 in a tundra and very responsive to a point another 300cc and 14lbs of boost in a tundra nice sleeper.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either way I don't like the idea of an electric throttle on a mountain sled. If it fails, you damage it or rip out the wires, chances are good your leaving it in the mountains or calling a chopper. It's not like a trail sled which you have a chance of towing home.

Very true

BAP

Reaction score
I wonder if they changed the "precision" fred flinstone oiling of the center crank bearings.......trail riders keep your oil tanks full.

BAP

Reaction score
dont know why they cant just build a big ugly crank with properly lubed bearings and pressed splines for timing and just leave it at that....for the three extra pounds and couple extra drops of oil....for TONS of reliability.
i realize where the world is connected people need some work.....but remote or mountain riders dont need those kind of adventures he, he.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
dont know why they cant just build a big ugly crank with properly lubed bearings and pressed splines for timing and just leave it at that....for the three extra pounds and couple extra drops of oil....for TONS of reliability.
i realize where the world is connected people need some work.....but remote or mountain riders dont need those kind of adventures he, he.

Lightweight/high horespower......crank contributes to both.....just the way it is.

Top Bottom