2014 Ram 3500 6.4L

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do those go into the 4cyl mode on highway?
Co worker has a power wagon and loves it, says the fuel aint bad on hwy unloaded when it does the fuel managemtnt thingy
If they don't have lifter troubles I would bet they don't, seems like the lifter troubles really got going when AFM showed up.

I electronically disabled mine and 200,000 km later I still have a suspect lifter.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they don't have lifter troubles I would bet they don't, seems like the lifter troubles really got going when AFM showed up.

I electronically disabled mine and 200,000 km later I still have a suspect lifter.
And the piss water 5w20 or worse 0w20 oils

Has no viscosity

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was looking for a HD gas job I would look at the Ford 7.3 it seems like a well built motor. I wouldn’t be afraid to by a 6.4 hemi either though. Change the oil every 8000k don’t drive it like a moron and it will be fine. Probably good advice for any vehicle lol.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was looking for a HD gas job I would look at the Ford 7.3 it seems like a well built motor. I wouldn’t be afraid to by a 6.4 hemi either though. Change the oil every 8000k don’t drive it like a moron and it will be fine. Probably good advice for any vehicle lol.
On the contrary… if you’re going to buy a Hemi, drive it like you stole it! The Hemi was designed by the race department. It doesn’t have drain back oiling like the older mid engine camshaft type engines. Therefore the camshaft and lifters do not get proper oiling unless you are running more consistently higher rpm’s.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the piss water 5w20 or worse 0w20 oils

Has no viscosity

Yup I think that’s most of the valve issues. I put 5w20 in my hemi it burns it like it’s free. Up it to 5w30 it just needs some added at 5000km. Motor sounds way quieter to.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the point of getting a truck thats only 4 years newer? Your chevy have lots of miles? Got problems?

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup I think that’s most of the valve issues. I put 5w20 in my hemi it burns it like it’s free. Up it to 5w30 it just needs some added at 5000km. Motor sounds way quieter to.
Yes, 5w30 is an option. The only problem with that is it’s has less detergents therefore the service intervals would have to be reduced. Let’s be honest. I’ve had customer’s with a brand new Cummins come in and ask when they should do their first oil change. “I have 22k on my truck and the service minder hasn’t come on”? Now that is the idiot salesman not doing his job! In your case, if you’ve done the the mds delete then you wouldn’t have to worry and could run 8-10k on 5w30.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sound like you should go work for GM! Lol

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason the service intervals are so high nowadays is to meet epa specs. Less oil changes means less pollutants. Less mess and energy spent to recycle. That’s if you are even recycling it. You could always be doing what my 91yr old grandfather used to do. Pour the oil on the dirt driveway to keep dust down or pour the oil on the fence posts to keep the non-treated or homemade ones from rotting!

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All dealerships or even independent shops are all basically the same. I’ve even owned my own business.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vehicles I mean… definitely some shops are better than others. We all know that is because of knowledge and just plain good people!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the 2010 is doing you fine i'd just keep it, it's not a good time to be upgrading a vehicle.

Can't say i've ever had a complaint about a hemi, current one has 230k on it and runs as smooth as a new one and mileage is really good. Run 5w20 and it uses a lot but IMO not worth the risk of switching to different oil, oil is cheap. Owned quite a few of them and never had a engine issue yet.

Top Bottom