2014 Pro RMK electric starter issues

depthcharger

Reaction score
Hello...The sled is a 2014 PRO RMK and the electric starter seems to spin, but does not engage to turn over the motor. The exact same thing happened on a 2011 Pro RMK that I had a few years ago also, but it was a little more intermittent as it would work some of the time. I am wondering if anyone has had this issue and if there is something that just needs to be lubed, or adjusted???

mavverick

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Pro as well, and my starter did the same thing as you described. It turned out my battery wasn't charged enough to work properly. Maybe try throwing a charger on it.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran an inadequate light weight battery for a while on my 13 and it resulted in my starter gear getting mangled on the end of the teeth. Once the teeth were damaged it would not engage and grind even with a good battery. I took the gear off and got creative with a drill and grinder to restore the shape. Now it works like new.

After fixing:

Poo time

Reaction score
Trickle charge the battery. My rmk did the same as yours today.like jmcx posted you can damage the teeth pretty easy.

dcski701

Reaction score
I ran an inadequate light weight battery for a while on my 13 and it resulted in my starter gear getting mangled on the end of the teeth. Once the teeth were damaged it would not engage and grind even with a good battery. I took the gear off and got creative with a drill and grinder to restore the shape. Now it works like new.

After fixing:

I have the same thing going on. How hard was it to get the starter out? does the y-pipe need to come off?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on. How hard was it to get the starter out? does the y-pipe need to come off?

Pull the clutch then pull the plastic cover off at the end of the starter gear. Under that you will see a spring and a small 'C' retaining ring held under a small cup. Get the retaining ring off and it all comes off in your hand. Don't mangle that retainer ring, it's no fun getting it back together even in perfect shape.

WPS lists a rebuild kit: 2016-Snowmobile-Catalog

nosaj82

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 2011. Got sick of dealing with it so I yanked the whole system out and just use the pull cord, battery and all. I'm thinking it shaved 20 pounds which is a bit of a bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcski701

Reaction score
Pull the clutch then pull the plastic cover off at the end of the starter gear. Under that you will see a spring and a small 'C' retaining ring held under a small cup. Get the retaining ring off and it all comes off in your hand. Don't mangle that retainer ring, it's no fun getting it back together even in perfect shape.

WPS lists a rebuild kit: 2016-Snowmobile-Catalog

ok thanks alot JMCX, on wps website it says they only have dealers in the states, know of any in ab?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanks alot JMCX, on wps website it says they only have dealers in the states, know of any in ab?

Sorry, I don't. Plan A worked so I didn't have to pursue that route any further.

Polski

Reaction score
I have to see if they have any in stock. When you put the part number in the web page price check box it says on order. I will run down there today and see if they have any cause I need one as well

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Polski

Reaction score
They didn't have any. Said this week they should be in so I put my name on one.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom