2014 freeride 137 ?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder out off all those people that say the suspension is junk actually took the time to set it up for the conditions. Look any suspension will work fine if you ride powder all day but take out the soft landings and you have another story. But not everyone ride the powder in the mountains all the time do they?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder out off all those people that say the suspension is junk actually took the time to set it up for the conditions. Look any suspension will work fine if you ride powder all day but take out the soft landings and you have another story. But not everyone ride the powder in the mountains all the time do they?

Actually any suspension won't work the same just because it is in powder. There are limits as to what will work and what won't. You still have suspension working in pow. But I guess as a trail rider you might not know that.

As far as guys not taking the time to set up their suspension on the freerides, well I don't know many who would set up an extreme backcountry sled for trail use.

Obviously you have an opinion on what you figure is best and everyone else is wrong.

sent from a top secret location

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Therefore proving my point. You don't know that the sled can be used for anything other then the mountains. Good job proving my original point!! You get an atta boy for that one!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Therefore proving my point. You don't know that the sled can be used for anything other then the mountains. Good job proving my original point!! You get an atta boy for that one!!

haha you guys are funny.... takethebounce knows his chit and is very technical and well informed...

to sum it up I think he is sugesting the freeride is overkill for a trail sled lol ... but me I like overkill so to each their own lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it might be overkill for perfectly groomed trails in Ontario but have never been on them. They usually consist of three foot whoops and drop offs of a few feet onto hard packed snow around here. I would assume sask is the same.

Megrizzly

Reaction score
I live and ride in the same conditions as yourself. Your the type of rider who rides some trails, lakes and rivers, exploring new areas, and jumping beaver dams. Also watched the new snowtrax which reviewed the renegade with rmotion. They said it was the best riding sled in the industry and was easy to adjust. I'd say you'd get more out of rmotion that tmotion in the conditions you ride. I will go on to say that from a practical standpoint that the backcountry x is more suitable to you. Your not dropping off huge cliffs or anything similar where the reinforcement of the freeride is needed. You probably won't see any noticable improvement in the free ride suspension compared to the backcountry as well. All your really paying for is the name and colours. I understand its your money and everything, but might as well save your cash and customize a backcountry x to your liking.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the guy wants to buy the freeride, let him do what he wants...jeez..

How many flatlanders buy mountain sleds? LOTS! Some don't even make it to Robb....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry I didnt prove you right about anything so don't read into something that isn't there. For the most of the first 20 years of my life I lived out East, never saw a groomed trail ever until I moved West. So I am quite confident my riding experiences are not one dimensional but it appears someone's are.

Anyhow this wasn't supposed to be all about you and your continued need to justify why you ride a freeride as a trail sled. Enjoy.

sent from a top secret location

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's your money, but why are you even considering the Freeride?

It is supposed to be a purpose built sled for the back country. Doing gap jumps and dropping cornices. The more and more people who buys these sleds gives BRP a sense that the sled is being used for its intended purposes. Meanwhile ditch bangers and trail riders run around on Freerides because they look cool and have a cool name with cool colors.

Again, your money and you can buy whatever you want but its just like the guys out East who buy Summits. Soon Summits will have mirrors and heated seats because of what the flatlanders want on a sled.

:)

Buy yes I would agree a 137. Why not the Renegage? I have never looked at the specs but its likely 30 pounds lighter than the Freeride.
The backcounrty x is almost the same price as the free ride. As far as ditchbangers go I have Backcountry x and its a awesome sled for local rides. Big jumps over approach roads. Whoops. Whatever. I am 240 and haven't bent anything. I have the skills to land properly and not totally abuse the sled or crash every ride. Just every couple rides. . One question I would have is gearing. I can't catch the short tracks on rivers and lakes and would guess the freeride is geared lower than a backcountry. Top speed and cruising speeds are important factors to most flat landers

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update on the 137 freeride. I have now got 290 km on my 2014. It's a sweet sled and handles very similar to my bcx. I was concerned about top speed and gearing. It definitely is geared lower. I have seen 80 mph so far ditch riding. The bcx is definitely faster top end but the freeride should do better for deep snow ditch bangs. Loving the new freeride.

Top Bottom