2013 XM Turbo

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so fill us in on the cooling fins off the back of the air box... water cooled... is it something we can add to older kits... thks

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if BRP spent so much time working them and designing it for the 2013 etec and works that good, they should let us warranty with it hmmmmmm.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if BRP spent so much time working them and designing it for the 2013 etec and works that good, they should let us warranty with it hmmmmmm.
i sure hope so because that sure looks like fun. We will see what the xm is like stock first

Reaction score
The fins are a Air/Snow inter-cooler. Developed for the race team and repackaged for the consumer market. Very COOL parts. I am working on a video to further explain how it works.

Reaction score
pictures.... do you have to modify the tunnel for it to function?

Yes the tunnel gets opened and the new air box riveted in place. All of the video you see of the 2013 XM was running this set up starting after Jackson.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to incorporate this into the chassie build, please have some videos soon... The theory sounds better that the water/ air intercooler and a lot lighter... Gotta like the r&d your doing

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to incorporate this into the chassie build, please have some videos soon... The theory sounds better that the water/ air intercooler and a lot lighter... Gotta like the r&d your doing

X2.....................

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a huge difference between the intercooled and the non intercooled version; other then the obvious cooler charge temps? I have read some forums about guys having hesitation problems with the the intercoolers and ended up deleting them as a result. Any info would be great. Thanks.

go green

Reaction score
I would like to see the intake air temperatures before and after the intercooler . I would think that these extremely low boost applications would produce very low intake air gains . If you are getting a elevated gain in intake air temperatures this would mean your compressure is to small. Have you recorded your turbine back pressure ?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bingo....we seen air temps as low as 80f and that was on long pulls with out the intercooler... and like you said if the turbo is matched correctly and boost is run is in the most efficeint part of the map, then intake air temps are staying low, causing less chance of detonation

adding a cold air intake was much more effecitve than the intercooler i tried

even when i ran the intercooler, there never seamed to be a big difference other than the lag to fill the extra cavity...

now if your turbo is not mached correctly, then air temps can hit in excessive of 200f and the turbo is working overtime and a inter cooler or air/water cooler is a must... take a look at the other etec kits and see why they stress that the intercooler is a must, then look at the cfm of the turbo... aero 8 lbs is like 13 of theirs

th

I would like to see the intake air temperatures before and after the intercooler . I would think that these extremely low boost applications would produce very low intake air gains . If you are getting a elevated gain in intake air temperatures this would mean your compressure is to small. Have you recorded your turbine back pressure ?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is a little info brad had sent me last year when i was doing the water/air barrel cooler

We currently use Air/Water in 5 applications. We are also currently testing Air/Water systems on the e-Tec. An A/W system will ONLY be release if the testing performs within our design parameters. Our current system was not intended to have an A/W system because BRP had certain requirements for the system specific to the Race Team.

Current water pump is a Bosch pump. Be careful of the amps!

A 1.1 psi pressure drop is probably not accurate and is excessive.

Here are some of my calculations and assumption that may be helpful.

800cc E-Tec, 7000ft or 11.3psia, 34f Ambient air, 110f engine coolant returning from tunnel (from test data), Water temp on a dedicated system 32f (again from test data), 10psi, 1.88 P/R, 12.8afr, 72% compressor Efficiency, 70% intercooler efficiency, and .5 pressure drop.

No intercooler, 307cfm, T2 170f (Compressor Out), 170f Charge Temp, and 213hp at attitude not corrected.

A/W, 363cfm, T2 170f, 73f Charge Temp, and 251hp

A/W W/ engine coolant, 329cfm, T2 170f, 128f charge Temp, and 228hp

No boost A/W, charge temp 33f

No boost A/W w/ engine coolant, charge temp 87f

Max delta w/ engine coolant 41f

Max delta w/ closed loop coolant, 40f.

go green

Reaction score
I cant determine if 10psi was a constant in the test ( only air flow numbers are compaired )and if the reading was at the manifold or at the compressure ? There is a 56cfm flow change in the cooled and non cooled test , are you suggesting that the turbo picked 56cfm by bolting your intercooler on it ?

WesG

Reaction score
Roughly 125 Deg F increase from the gtx 2863 at 10 psi 4500 ft elevation. The aero was 135 Deg F @ 10 psi 4500 FT. Both were done with 0.5 lb drop across the intercooler (assuming the sled has one, no intercooler would drop the charge temps by roughly 5 Deg F for both) This is all calculated I have no field data! Fred I am very curious where and how you measured your IAT on these runs? Do you have secondary injectors upstream of this point? Elevation and ambient air temp would be great to know as well.

Wes

WesG

Reaction score
I cant determine if 10psi was a constant in the test ( only air flow numbers are compaired )and if the reading was at the manifold or at the compressure ? There is a 56cfm flow change in the cooled and non cooled test , are you suggesting that the turbo picked 56cfm by bolting your intercooler on it ?

In order to maintian the same 10 lbs manifold pressure you have to flow more air as the intercooler equipped unit has cooled the intake air temperature and thus dropped the manifold pressure. Think air in a balloon. heat the balloon it expands, cool the balloon and it will shrink same thing.

go green

Reaction score
That's what I figured ,the boost referance was at the manifold after the intercooler . The pressure drop from the cooled air needed more air from the charger to maintain the 10 psi .

Top Bottom