2013 X model E-start OR Recoil....... NOT BOTH!!!!??? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ ON..

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering WHY Ski-Doo decided it was a good idea to make the recoil start an option...? Like as in the FACTORY WILL NOT install both esart and recoil start before shipping in crate... Which means IF u order an e-start, no recoil AND the side panel is modified to no accomidate a recoil handle EVEN IF U WANTED TO INSTALL!!!!

NOW, if u but the 2013 with E-start..... You will then have to spend even more $$$$$ to buy: Side Panel, Recoil Saddle, recoil handle, and the whole recoil assembly that covers the mag, because apparently the MAg cover with e-start does not have ANY of the tabs or mounting locations for the internals of the recoil...

My question is... WHY THE EFFFFFFF would they do that!!!??????? I know ya ya the etecs are super easy to start and u can start them with a 1/4 turn of the clutch if you need to..... BUT the recoil does not take up much room, if you always use e-start you never even notice the silly little handle sitting there UNTIL YOU NEED IT...... I just feel that SKi-Doo made a mistake doing this......

If you get e-start, you spend prob a grand to install a recoil... Same as if you order with just recoil..... You will then have to spend big $$$$$ for dealer to install E-start.....

I just Snowchecked a Ski-Doo 163 X, not knowing this scenario.... NOW THAT I DO, I wish I knew before, that would have been a BIG deciding factor for me on dealing with SKI-doo.....

LET ME HEAR WHAT YOU ALL THINK..... Should Ski-doo offer RECOIL as STANDARD Equipment, and E-start as an option...????? Just seems silly not to have.... BUT the time u need it, and its not there, and you then have to tear the clutch shield all apart and pull out the old emergency rope onto primary deal.... YOUD SURE WISH THAT LITTLE HANDLE WAS THERE FOR YOU TO PULL......

Anyway thats what I think...... I never asked the question about recoil and electric start BECAUSE ALL SLEDS THAT I KNOW IF HAVE RECOIL AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT (minus Yammy I think)...

LETS HEAR VIEWS, OPINIONS, COMMENTS........ Oh and I have no problem being wrong here.... ID RATHER BE WRONG, then that means my 2013 will come with E-start and recoil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have been dooing this for 2 years now. No big deal as the ETEC starts so easy.

polguy

Reaction score
No E-start ETEC has rope! Never has. Really nice when you kill the battery with your led-dog! Gotta save weight I guess...

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In most cases if you have a dead battery on a E-tec or any other sleds for that matter, you've got other problems on hand.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad has estart only on his sled and has had no problems with it. Have never even touched the battery except to take it off to change chain case oil.

polguy

Reaction score
In most cases if you have a dead battery on a E-tec or any other sleds for that matter, you've got other problems on hand.

The problem is using the led-dog, pulling down the battery while you are cutting of the belt wrapped around the clutches. Only happened a couple of times though.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOUD NOISES!

Lots of sleds out there e start only. Ski Doo would be an awful lot easier to start manually than the thumpers.....

I don't see the big deal. But I went pull start and more warranty....

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOUD NOISES!

Lots of sleds out there e start only. Ski Doo would be an awful lot easier to start manually than the thumpers.....

I don't see the big deal. But I went pull start and more warranty....

That's what I did as well, then found an estart kit on kijiji and put that on. The best of both worlds really.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I took pull start and took off suitcase and installed can and love the weight savings. I have always started sled in one pull and would take extra warranty over e start. Good luck and ride.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the guys that want both; ES and PS (electric start and pull start). Doo you want Ford, GM, and Chrysler to put a crank in the front of your truck just in case????

Get with the times and quit whinning......just saying

LOL...... Once again an honest innocent question asked, and it gets turned into accusations and name calling and NEGATIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not whining nor is anyone else.....All I did was make a statement to get positive feedback and opinions on the matter at hand.....NOT to get feedback on what YOU think of me or anyone else who may feel the same as I...

Theres NO reason for a PERSONAL ATTACK like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Regardless if it was directed to me or a group of us commenting on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Btw, ford, gmc and dodge all come with roadside assistance, try calling roadside assistance in the middle of the mountains on your sled...... nuff said.....

(And I did that all without personally attacking u ferniesnow....)

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also went with the pull start and 3yr warranty. Honestly, as mentioned, these sleds start so easy I don't see the need for e-start for most riders. I've used sleds with e-start (albeit these were older sleds so they had both), but still hauled them over by hand. Maybe I'm just old school.

Top Bottom