2013 Polaris Ranger 500 - Any good ??

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope so !!! LOL I just put a down payment on a new 2013 Polaris Ranger 500 !! :D After a bit of research and thought...I decided on it !! Any concerns or issues I should be aware of ?? I wanted something to have fun with BUT also could be used for work as well. My parents will be using it as well (mid 60's) for a round the farm for chores and such. Let me know if this is a wise choice !!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should work well, get out and ride, only you can decide if it fits the purpose you bought it for. other peoples opinions are like a good crap, everyone has one and they usually are full of shiit.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should work well, get out and ride, only you can decide if it fits the purpose you bought it for. other peoples opinions are like a good crap, everyone has one and they usually are full of shiit.
Thanks for the advice but still like to hear others opinions (whether I listen or not !! LOL) !! Pick it up end of the week !! Look forward to having a little fun with the Lil Ranger !! Was wondering what mods that folks have done to their Rangers though ?? Side-by-side is a whole new world to me BUT been a quader since I was a kid !!(In my mid-40's now) I know tires should (and will be first upgrade) be changed out....how big ?? Not interested in a mud machine or lifts....just want it to be a good run around unit. Thinking about a cab, snowplow, etc. Let me know what works and what doesn't with this 500 mid-sized rangers !!

rizzman

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Ranger 500. It has been good so far, but I have only put about 120 miles on it. It mostly stays on the acreage and hauls stuff around. It pushes snow really well, mostly because of it's weight I would think. The stock tires are crap, but that's easily changed. I've been stuck a few times out at the lake and it takes a bit to winch that heavy boy out.

When I switch out tires, I'll keep the same size rim but move up an inch on the tires. Just a little more clearance and no need for any kind of clutching or other mods to make it work. Maxxis Bighorns would be my first choice, but they are very spendy. I chose to spend money on my sled this year instead of the little utility buggy. BTW, it isn't a powerful machine, but it holds its own pretty good. It's plenty good enough for us.

I put a 4500 lb Viper winch on it but the jury is still out on it. It's pulled me out a few times already, but I'm interested to see how long it will last over time.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When in snow or mud and stuck or having a tough time you can help a fair bit my rocking the machine. Can get good leverage off the roll bar. Or someone standing in the box hanging onto the rollbar and get them to rock as hard as they can while you work the machine forwards and backwards. If you're driving and pushing be careful of footing as to not run yourself over though. It's amazing what it'll go through though.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely dump the stock tires if you are doing much offroading. although i did drive my ranger 900 xp on the stockers for a couple rides. much better with some mud tires. but harder on the grass. love the turff mode on grass.

gasman

Reaction score
I have a 2012 limited 500 and it is great. I would recommend a good winch, 4500 min, a hard top roof for keeping snow and rain off. I put on the half windshield, not really happy with it but it does help on cooler days. I have been looking for some doors. you can get them for the 800s, 900s but not the midsize. power is decent. just curious how much more the 570 is ?

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 limited 500 and it is great. I would recommend a good winch, 4500 min, a hard top roof for keeping snow and rain off. I put on the half windshield, not really happy with it but it does help on cooler days. I have been looking for some doors. you can get them for the 800s, 900s but not the midsize. power is decent. just curious how much more the 570 is ?
I didn't really consider the 570 ..... I think he (the dealer) said it was about $1500-2000 more. After all the research I did ....the 500 motor has been around a long time (the longest in the Ranger lineup I believe) so all or most of the issues should be resolved. The 570 is a new motor and design so ???? . Got a winch installed all ready (a 3500...??) and shopping hard for new tires. Snowplow will probably be next and a cab or windshield after that !!

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well....got a little spendy at the dealer....upgraded the tires (BigHorns of course).....and the winch (Polaris 3500lb) ....and picked up a snowplow too (Quadavator 72")...only been riding it abit ...BUT .......so far so good !!! Got hung up in a couple of snow banks ...and yeah the "grab the roll bar and rock" thing works !! LOL NOW...just looking for a cab ??? Steel or Poly ???

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked up the Ranger crew. Mostly because we have 4 kids and can strap the car seats in for the younger ones and enough power for moving small bails and such. Im in the same boat, no mods but did go with the full window and roof and winch. Stock tires are crap in the snow but im not really using it for that. Only have 10 miles but im happy and it was really what we wanted.

Enjoy

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well....got a little spendy at the dealer....upgraded the tires (BigHorns of course).....and the winch (Polaris 3500lb) ....and picked up a snowplow too (Quadavator 72")...only been riding it abit ...BUT .......so far so good !!! Got hung up in a couple of snow banks ...and yeah the "grab the roll bar and rock" thing works !! LOL NOW...just looking for a cab ??? Steel or Poly ???

I had one for 2 years great machine! If you can burn a tank of gas in one weekend I would be amazed! I put on 150 miles not km and gas light was not one. One thing is where the wires come out of the motor on passenger side put some kind of protection from rubbing on them. Had mine rub though and didn't want to start and got real hard on gas! And keep an eye on your front diff input shaft for play it's a real weak point I think. I made a peace to beef it up and it worked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom