2013 M8 cluch update. done?

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is done, as well as the gearing update. Way better back shift, tons of get up and go. Long, hard pulls at 7300' I was seeing 41-43mph track speed at 7900 rpm. A little low on rpm because my primary is weighted for 3-6000'. After a few good pulls clutch temps were 62c primary and 52c secondary, running 083 belt.The offset is different on the new secondary so get the alignment bar.
I think with the 084 belt and 8200rpm, 45+mph track speed is possible. Top speed with new gearing is right around 80mph, plenty fast for a mountain sled.
Noticeably harder on fuel around home but very little difference in the hills.

Last edited:

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Echo Cycle. They told me they ordered one for every sled they sold there.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is done, as well as the gearing update. Way better back shift, tons of get up and go. Long, hard pulls at 7300' I was seeing 41-43mph track speed at 7900 rpm. A little low on rpm because my primary is weighted for 3-6000'. After a few good pulls clutch temps were 62c primary and 52c secondary, running 083 belt.The offset is different on the new secondary so get the alignment bar.
I think with the 084 belt and 8200rpm, 45+mph track speed is possible. Top speed with new gearing is right around 80mph, plenty fast for a mountain sled.
Noticeably harder on fuel around home but very little difference in the hills.

thats great to hear cuz I just did mine today and went for a short ride with a new 083 belt and it felt too tight (not creeping though) and yet the belt didnt look like it was sitting high enough in the secondary. I put my old clutch back on and it felt better. I was getting 7900-8000 with the new clutch and 8100-8200 with the old clutch. My primary has the stock 70g weights. I also bought the alignment bar and I did have to shim the new clutch.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine also sits a bit low in the secondary. Put it to where I thought it should be but it was a little too tight, squealing all the time. Maybe the 084 belt is a bit longer?
I was over revving around Beaumont with the 70gram weights. Installed 73gram and it's perfect around here, just a tad heavy for elevation though.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 083 and 084 belts are supposed to be the same dimensions the 084 is just Kevlar reinforced. I am going to try the Carlisle ultimax xs822. It is supposed to be the same as the cat belts but also Kevlar reinforced and only $130 compared to the rapist cat $260

catothom

Reaction score
Had mine done a few weeks ago. Not that impressed yet.....
I have a 2013 LTD and my friend a 2012 sno pro modell.
Both 153" and stock clutching.
Stock gear ratio as well.
Both ride at sea level 0-3000 ft and riding mostly in the woods.
Sleds are all stock all the way, except for my new handlebars and t-post delete.

After we got the new secondary, we went out a few days later. Every seemed perfect. Sled was awesome. Better backshift, felt a little stronger from bottom and up to mid end.
Was pulling a little harder and felt just stronger than before.
Did not feel the clutches that day and I went home with a huge smile. Sled worked flawless in waist deep powder.
Then came the next ride. Snow has sunk down and the under layer was nice and firm.
Snow was about 15-20 cm of nice soft snow.
My friend was going to go uphill. Not that steep at all. Maybe 15 degrees. From standing still until his skis was just above the ground the belt went on him.
He has 2500 km on old setup with the stock secondary.
Belt blows into thousands of little pieces. Tried to touch the clutches and they was so hot that we both burned our hands on them.
Could not put hands on them for a second...

Then I pulled my side panel and felt on my clutches too. Same!! Scorching hot! Could fry a egg on them. Had to wait 15 minutes in minus 10 Celsius before we even could come near the clutches and put a spare belt on his sled. The dealer blamed the belt. Said it was not tight enough.....
So back to the dealer and had the belt aligned again and tighten up after specs. And the dealer would not warranty the belt, even when they put the clutches on and did not tighten the belt on our sleds enough...
So this weekend were heading out again to see if the temp has gone down. If not, I will have my old secondary back on!

For now, I don`t feel safe going out on the sled. Afraid to blow a belt and for that price of a new sled, is two full weekends of fuel......

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
M's come set from the factory for 6-9000' elevation. Invest a few bucks and get a clutching set up for your elevation, you'll be glad you did.

catothom

Reaction score
Proclimbs in Norway basically comes from the dealer setup for sea level riding. No problems getting the right RPM and sled runs flawless except for the scorching hot clutches.

Full Curl

Reaction score
Does anybody have any more/ better info. on the belt issue?
I have a riding buddy who is now on his 5th belt on his 2013.
2 before the new secondary and 3 since. Maybe 50ish km on each of the last 3 and kaboom!
Dealer aligned it etc. and obviously they have it again, but what do you think is the deal?

catothom

Reaction score
It`s not the same alignment bar for the 12/13`s. Should be a new alignment bar for them.
I do believe that it is the combo on the 14`s with gears, clutch, heat reduction and so on that makes the 14 work better.
Not only just the secondary!
I`m going to have my old secondary back on, because I had 1000 fault free kilometers on the sled. No belt blowing, no problems at all!

Do the dealer warranty the belts?? My friend blew a belt and no warranty on the belt when they installed the new secondary and even before sled had rolled 50 km on new secondary, it blew a belt. Both his and my clutches had frying egg temp on them.
Had to wait over 15 minutes in minus 12 Celsius before we even had a chance to come close to them! They stated that the sleds had loose belts. That the belts had not been tighten to specs when they swapped the clutches.
And it was the dealer who did it. But no warranty even if it was they who did it. Who`s fault is it then??

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a 13 do the updates. (gearing, the secondary clutch and the clutch cover). I blew a belt early last year and none since, it is an awesome machine now.

derekk

Reaction score
Dealer tells me now that the gearing and clutch cover are no longer being covered by Cat??

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Mcbride last weekend with the new clutch running a new 083 cat belt we put on about 230km clutches were hot but not too bad. I didn't do any long pulls due to Avy conditions. The only thing now is to get the proper rpm's I'm consistently hitting 8050 and I should be up around 8200-8300.

Top Bottom