2013 can am commander 800 to 1000 swap

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the motor in my 800 is dead and I've been looking around for motors. Found a 1000 and hoping to slide that in there. I know the motor fits as it's just a stroked 800 basically. I can get the computer and key with it(or just get my key reprogrammed). Now my question is how different is the gearing from a 800 to a 1000? I'm fairly sure he has the gear box as well so I may have to buy that. Then there's the clutching. If he has those should I buy those as well or is there a good clutch kit I can put in my 800 clutches to bring it up to par for the 1000?
I know this is a bit of a project but I'm hoping its not going to be one of those I wish I never started.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your 800 has the same gearbox as a Maverick so you are good there. Only thing needed will be the computer and I'm not sure on clutch. I don't think the clutches are different and if they are it is just the levers in the primary that can be swapped easy.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya you bet they are the same gear box and clutch but the internals of both are supposed to be different, or do I was told by the can am dealer. He wasn't 100% sure on how different tho. I do know the renegades had different ratios from the 500 to the 800 so I was concerned it would be the same in my situation.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your 800 has the same gearbox as a Maverick so you are good there. Only thing needed will be the computer and I'm not sure on clutch. I don't think the clutches are different and if they are it is just the levers in the primary that can be swapped easy.
And the springs maybe in the primary too? What about the helix in the secondary ? I'm just used to sled clutches and those sure vary between motor sizes ect.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the springs maybe in the primary too? What about the helix in the secondary ? I'm just used to sled clutches and those sure vary between motor sizes ect.

I don't think the primary spring is different as this is just engagement RPM, I think is the same on the different machines.

Top Bottom