2012 xp over heating

getnutz

Reaction score
2012 xp overheating, temp light on on dash and engine shut down. Water circulating in tank under hood. Heat exchanger melts snow, but is not hot to touch. 5 miles on machine. (1st ride of year) Its a circulation problem I thinks, could thermostate cuse this or water pump NFG ? Any ideas.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2012 xp overheating, temp light on on dash and engine shut down. Water circulating in tank under hood. Heat exchanger melts snow, but is not hot to touch. 5 miles on machine. (1st ride of year) Its a circulation problem I thinks, could thermostate cuse this or water pump NFG ? Any ideas.

Where is Maxwell when you need him?

getnutz

Reaction score
Tried that yesterday, as well as parked up hill for 6 hrs on snow plow ridge and rode spare sled. Ran machine for a mile and overheat again.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the e-tec have a t-stat? The p-tec doesn't have one.
This isn't true as the p-tec does have a t-stat as well as the etec. When you put nose up higher than the rear of the cooler you have to run machine also to help circulate fluid through system.
Failing that it must be the t-stat stuck and if they are the same as the p-tec you can't take them apart as they are molded inside a plastic housing beside the mag cylinder with 4 hoses coming and going.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Look at simple things first; air bubble, scratchers, snow on tunnel, dipping, throttle burping, etc..

If you are on a hard packed trail you need scratchers. If you don't have scratchers, dip into the snow on the side and burp the throttle (pin it!) to get snow to the coolers. If that fails, put snow on the tunnel and then keep riding with short bursts of throttle/track spin to achieve the cooling process.

It was -18C on Monday morning and I had the same experience. I had lost my scratcher the day before and didn't put it on again. Just a pain in the arse but once the snow was soft, I was good to go and had no problems until the trail ride back down.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2012 xp also, heading out this weekend are scratchers needed or recomended? I never ran them on my 2007 and no issues ever.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unless there is a bit of fresh snow to get stired up on the trail... the scratchers are allways down .....

getnutz

Reaction score
Tried all of those things, leaning towards t-stat. Dont believe snow or scratchers to be a issue. Lots of powder. Rode 162 turbo yamaha with CR tunnel on same trails and had no problems. Going to try the the air bubble again today.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its melting snow of heat exchanger, and if the motors not hot to touch I would lean towards a bad sensor given your motor false info.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First things first, I don't see anywhere that you mentioned if its an etec or ptek?

5 miles on the sled, on hard parked, and running stock snow flap? Still shouldn't over heat.

If its an etec, did you wait for the warm up sequence before riding it? It will flash warm up at you.

getnutz

Reaction score
2012 e-tec, went thru the warm up sequence, stock snow flap. Pull rope side of exchange hot to touch, brake side of exchange cool. snow melts off 1 side faster than other. Cylinders are very hot to touch, water in coolant tank very hot to touch. Just ran sled at idle parked up on a snow plow ridge for air bubble, no change, still over heat.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah deffinetly an issue.

I put 100 miles on mine this weekend, trails in were packed, but not super hard, no scratchers and no issues.

When you pop the fill bottle lid off does the coolant level rise?

getnutz

Reaction score
No fluid level does not rise. Fluid does not boil out the overflow line until the cap is loosened off. Dealer thinks the exchanger may have a blockage. says some of the 2011 e-tecs had a tech allert to change them out and it may be the same with the 2012s. That is just about as handy as VD

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was just going to say the rear cooler has a blockage... if one side is hot and one side is cold no brainer

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read some where, that some early XPs had the thermo installed upside down, not sure if that would cause over heating, but maybe worth a look

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2011 did the exact same thing first trip up Allen on a groomed trail about the same 5km up trail, Overheated and went into limp mode. Once i got into the powder it didn't do it again that day. Do you have a Vent Kit installed?? I installed a vent kit never did it again.

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i find this extremely interesting as i run a 163x3 with no scratchers and on hardpack trails for 20+km no issues. let us know what you find.

Top Bottom