2012 summit belt "shroud"

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What amazes me is how guys think they know more than the manufaucturer. Buy a new machine and then screw it up tearing ch!t off and drilling holes in things.
Like the guys that hop up their diesel trucks and blow head gaskets, tear out trannys etc. Leave it alone and enjoy it.

hahaha - what amazes me is that some guys think that any engineer that ever designed something, somehow walks on water.......yeah, sled manufacturers are so wickedly awesome that no one in the history of the world ever designed an aftermarket product to get fresh air under the hood of the sled to help keep the clutches cool..........got vent kit?

Walleyehunter hit the nail on the head. It took a team of BRP genius' probably a week to design and build this shroud, then a week of testing.....and all that probably added $500 to the cost of the sled, instead of just adding a vent and screen to the panel for $15 to get the same effect.

HaHa. It continues to amaze me how guys will pull something off that weighs a half a pound because it is to heavy yet they will pack a 6 pack of beer up the hill or they could have a big chit and solve the weight issues. LMAO.

1/2 lb here and 1/2 lb there, pretty soon its 20 lbs......every ounce counts.

Throw the shroud in the garbage and save the 1/2 lb.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys just curious how exactly the 2012 shroud will cool the clutches in the mountains when the hood is full of snow? I can see it working on the trails as the air coming through the front of the hood is forced right into the clutches.

Right now I just don't buy into this majical shroud unless someones has an valid explanation for the engineers design... I think they should concentrate on their clutch design to solve the hot clutch issues...

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well some of us will be leaving ours on and some of us will be removing them. And then it'll be a wait and see thing to find out which works better. We're all gonna be riding a bit differently so we'll all have different preferences.

Brap

Reaction score
Guys just curious how exactly the 2012 shroud will cool the clutches in the mountains when the hood is full of snow? I can see it working on the trails as the air coming through the front of the hood is forced right into the clutches.

Right now I just don't buy into this majical shroud unless someones has an valid explanation for the engineers design... I think they should concentrate on their clutch design to solve the hot clutch issues...

hot clutch issue? this isnt 2008 anymore. yes they are still hot...or warm...and thats not a terrible thing like everyone thinks. you need heat to grip these stiff belts with the material they are made of. the 2012 clutching is consistant. and works. heat or not get that out of your head.

the clutch guard promotes air movment plain and simple. regardless of where it is coming from. its using the fins on the primary and secondary to move air over the clutches at a high rate of speed. even warm engine air moving over hot clutches is going to help the supposed situation which i havent seen since 2008.

OH MY GOD MY CLUTCHES ARE HOT. MY SLED MUST NOT BE WORKING. WHERES THE DREMEL ILL TAKE CARE OF THIS!

no

ride it.

practice riding skills rather than practicing how to make a damn near perfect sled better?

Last edited:

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the problems seemed to be that not nearly enough cool air came through the hood, around the clutches and out the footwell. What they found was that by enclosing the clutches in the shroud and redesigning the footwel a bit, it created a bit of a vaccum and pulled cool air from the top of the footwell and pushed it out the bottom. I don't blame you or anyone else for thinking this is stupid, I thought it was at first to. But now I think it kinda makes sense. What happens when the footwell gets plugged like it always does??? don't know, but cutting the plastic off the shroud and venting the side panels seemed to do SFA so I would recommend giving the shroud a chance.

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
If people didn't alter there stock machines and left them the way they were, what would sleds be today? You can't tell me the R and D guys at all the big 4 dont look at what guys have done to sleds to make them better and incorporate that into there next years designs?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahaha - what amazes me is that some guys think that any engineer that ever designed something, somehow walks on water.......yeah, sled manufacturers are so wickedly awesome that no one in the history of the world ever designed an aftermarket product to get fresh air under the hood of the sled to help keep the clutches cool..........got vent kit?

Walleyehunter hit the nail on the head. It took a team of BRP genius' probably a week to design and build this shroud, then a week of testing.....and all that probably added $500 to the cost of the sled, instead of just adding a vent and screen to the panel for $15 to get the same effect.

1/2 lb here and 1/2 lb there, pretty soon its 20 lbs......every ounce counts.

Throw the shroud in the garbage and save the 1/2 lb.

Obviously with due respect Modman you really don't understand exactly what a manufacturer goes through to get a product to the snow. I 'll fill you in because I have seen it first hand and talked to the engineers that are faced with the challenges. You say it would be easier to toss the shroud and put a bunch of vents in the side panels. Yes..........you are right, and the engineers agree with you, but there is one problem. When you vent the panels the sled gets louder. When the sled gets louder then the sled doesn't get passed by transport Canada or the same affiliation in the US for noise regulations. When it doesn't pass it is not built, it is not put in a crate and it is not sold to the consumer......end of story. Your just abit confused on your statement about Wallyworld. He didn't hit the nail on the head he hit his head with the nail. Pull the shroud off, save the 1/2 lb and then put a 1 1/2 pound vent kit. Problem solved!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If people didn't alter there stock machines and left them the way they were, what would sleds be today? You can't tell me the R and D guys at all the big 4 dont look at what guys have done to sleds to make them better and incorporate that into there next years designs?

BRP does look at what guys are doing on the hill and will use ideas they can incorporate as long as it follows certain guidelines that fit in the box they are put in. They have dealer committees that feed them information on what the customer wants and weigh all the information carefully. BRP even has a customer feedback device where consumers can input ideas to them and if your idea is chosen you are rewarded for it. They do listen, just not as much as we would like them to it seems.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hot clutch issue? this isnt 2008 anymore. yes they are still hot...or warm...and thats not a terrible thing like everyone thinks. you need heat to grip these stiff belts with the material they are made of. the 2012 clutching is consistant. and works. heat or not get that out of your head.

the clutch guard promotes air movment plain and simple. regardless of where it is coming from. its using the fins on the primary and secondary to move air over the clutches at a high rate of speed. even warm engine air moving over hot clutches is going to help the supposed situation which i havent seen since 2008.

OH MY GOD MY CLUTCHES ARE HOT. MY SLED MUST NOT BE WORKING. WHERES THE DREMEL ILL TAKE CARE OF THIS!

no

ride it.

practice riding skills rather than practicing how to make a damn near perfect sled better?

That's good to hear the 2012's have cool clutches, sounds like the clutch changes or shroud are doing good. I disagree with the hot clutch comment. If a clutch is getting hot where is this energy coming from? "Plain and simple" it's a taking the energy/power from the engine. I agree this isn't 07, 08, 09 clutches from what I've seen riding, hate to say it but the 2011 Snowest Deep Powder shootout showed the XP with the highest clutch temperatures by far when compared to the M8 and Pro RMK. Now keep in mind all sleds are stock, no setup changes. Anytime you can reduce the clutch temperatures by design/setup performance to the track will increase (assuming you don't just transfer the energy loss to other parts of the system). I know with some setup changes you guys got those 08-11 XP's running like they should, just wish they could do it from the factory.

I agree I wouldn't throw away the shroud until it proves not to be working effectively in the mountains.

Keep in mind I'm no mechanical engineer though...

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
What amazes me is how skidoo couldn't figure out a way to make this sled lighter over the last 5 years instead of gaining 30 lbs. How many of you guys are keeping that big ugly windshield on? How much does that half gallon of paint weigh that they threw on this thing? Why not offer it with a Boss seat like cat did a couple years ago? I got the "X" but really what's the difference between the X and the SP other than shocks, bars, and a higher price tag? I believe Polaris will be leading the charge in the next few years. All they need is 20 more horsepower and a 16 inch track and they'll be eating our Summits for breakfast. As for the plastic belt shroud? This thing is supposed to pull cool air from the side panel? Footwell? Where's that air supposed to come from when the sled is in handlebar deep powder? I can see that maybe the engineer who designed this has never ridden a sled off a groomed trail. I'm beginning to think that I should've bought the RMK and spent the 2 grand difference on horsepower.

Seriosly... Where is Maxwell when you need him.... Someone put the bat signal up!

Emt Worker

Reaction score
HaHa. It continues to amaze me how guys will pull something off that weighs a half a pound because it is to heavy yet they will pack a 6 pack of beer up the hill or they could have a big chit and solve the weight issues. LMAO.
Now that right there is funny...and true.

Brap

Reaction score
That's good to hear the 2012's have cool clutches, sounds like the clutch changes or shroud are doing good. I disagree with the hot clutch comment. If a clutch is getting hot where is this energy coming from? "Plain and simple" it's a taking the energy/power from the engine. I agree this isn't 07, 08, 09 clutches from what I've seen riding, hate to say it but the 2011 Snowest Deep Powder shootout showed the XP with the highest clutch temperatures by far when compared to the M8 and Pro RMK. Now keep in mind all sleds are stock, no setup changes. Anytime you can reduce the clutch temperatures by design/setup performance to the track will increase (assuming you don't just transfer the energy loss to other parts of the system). I know with some setup changes you guys got those 08-11 XP's running like they should, just wish they could do it from the factory.

I agree I wouldn't throw away the shroud until it proves not to be working effectively in the mountains.

Keep in mind I'm no mechanical engineer though...

so the clutches are hotter....but yet none of the other sleds outperformed it? and they no longer eat belts.

Top Bottom