2012 pro with bd turbo having an issue and engine light

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
today went for my 4th ride in 5 days, sled has been running fine all along until near the end of today. first i had noticed the sled was idling higher then normal when i came to a stop. after shutting it off and restarting it it would idle fine. we rode for 50 plus km today so just a short trail ride pretty much and a little playing. about 5-6k from the truck the sled out of no where seemed to run out of fuel and lunge me forward. engine light would come one but go out right away as soon as throttle was closed. i did not want to stop and have the sled not restart so i rode it to the truck and it continued to do the same thing. at times it would clear up and pull hard with no issues. other times it would flat out stumble as if it ran out of fuel or kill switch was hit. never did it shut off completely. i did not see any codes on the display and i dont think the light would stay on long enough to read a code. i have google'd this issue and read mixed reports that this could be tps,det sensor or even the pin switch in the throttle lever. right now the sled is finally in the house with a wood fire going defrosting/de-icing the sleds. tomorrow i will start it up and see how it runs, not sure if i can get it to throw a code with out it under a load?

anyone have any ideas for me on this issue?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
today went for my 4th ride in 5 days, sled has been running fine all along until near the end of today. first i had noticed the sled was idling higher then normal when i came to a stop. after shutting it off and restarting it it would idle fine. we rode for 50 plus km today so just a short trail ride pretty much and a little playing. about 5-6k from the truck the sled out of no where seemed to run out of fuel and lunge me forward. engine light would come one but go out right away as soon as throttle was closed. i did not want to stop and have the sled not restart so i rode it to the truck and it continued to do the same thing. at times it would clear up and pull hard with no issues. other times it would flat out stumble as if it ran out of fuel or kill switch was hit. never did it shut off completely. i did not see any codes on the display and i dont think the light would stay on long enough to read a code. i have google'd this issue and read mixed reports that this could be tps,det sensor or even the pin switch in the throttle lever. right now the sled is finally in the house with a wood fire going defrosting/de-icing the sleds. tomorrow i will start it up and see how it runs, not sure if i can get it to throw a code with out it under a load?

anyone have any ideas for me on this issue?
Pretty good odds it's the TPS sensor. A dealer can check stored codes and check the TPS calibration. They could reset it if it's out, but from my experience once they start going out of calibration, you might as well change them.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks neil, when i bought the sled they did make mention to have it adjusted or reset. i was told by another well known polaris tech it was not needed. once there set dont touch them. i bought it with 890 mile and now it has just over 1300 miles and today was the first time it did it. well guess ill take it in :(

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said^^^^^^
We had a 13 with a similar problem brought it to the dealer it had a few det codes and the tps was out they "adjusted the tps" but it never seemed to fix the problem. We threw our spare tps on calibrated it and now the sled runs 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think im going to change fuel filter just cause im over the 1000 mile mark, and i am looking into the tps issue and seeing if i can do the job my self or not? or if i can buy the digital wrench they call it polaris uses.

looneyrod27

Reaction score
Fuel filter won't turn a check engine light on.

Could be a fuel filter, if it's plugged it could be throwing a detonation or knock code. Also check and make sure you have the correct freeplay on your throttle cable, too tight and it could be throwing your tps baseline number out of each as well as too loose. If it's too tight it will throw a stuck throttle code as well.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, i tried to pull codes this morning, using the set parking brake and holding the select button down. but the brake switch is not working now. so ill check cables and get a meter and check voltages on tps

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a TPS, they adjusted mine back as it was way out and still no go, still stumbled at light throttle. Replaced TPS and sled runs fine now.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Could be a fuel filter, if it's plugged it could be throwing a detonation or knock code. Also check and make sure you have the correct freeplay on your throttle cable, too tight and it could be throwing your tps baseline number out of each as well as too loose. If it's too tight it will throw a stuck throttle code as well.
Yes that is possible, but if it was Det or knock as you say. Which in Polaris terms is the same thing, then the DEt code displays on the dash while this is occurring, and hard Det will limp the sled. The original poster indicated it was a check engine light.
I just wanted to clarify that for people who actually experience a Det situation.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can see your throttle position via the bd box in real time. Just hook up 9v battery lead and cycle your throttle in stats screen.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to sound stupid but what will i want to see on the bd box? or what will i see that will tell me i have an issue? i tried to google it but cant find a test using the boondocker box

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i found my issue, the three wires coming out of the clip to the tps sensor had previously been repaired and now this time the red wire was cut and the blue wire was rubbed threw. my question now is would this have caused damage to any other electrical device? once i repair the wires dose the tps have to be reset?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to sound stupid but what will i want to see on the bd box? or what will i see that will tell me i have an issue? i tried to google it but cant find a test using the boondocker box

Go to stats page on bd box while 9v powered or running as you move the throttle the % throttle position shows on the screen so you can see if calibrated. If you have it at half throttle and the screen says 25% for example you know you have a problem with the tps.

Top Bottom