2012 etec wont start cold over -25

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed in Golden couple weeks ago cannot start this sled -25 or colder, the first pull it sputters a bit and that's it, we pass the rope around and just wont go.

I have had to do this everytime pull it off the deck and slide the clutch side up against the truck exhaust and tarp it for 15 minutes.

My old 08 would start any temp.

??

You couldnt even pull my sled over at -3.

Mtdgt

Reaction score
Great idea, -32 this morning had to flash mine up took 6 pulls after 4 it sputtered and then idled fine

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told if you pull it over a couple times with the kill switch off it helps loosen it up a bit and doesn't inject any fuel. Then pop the kill switch up and you should be able to turn it over quick enough to fire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using

Rechner99

Reaction score
I was in Valemount this last weekend, i had never had this problem until reading this thread, then wouldnt you know it, it happened to me. My recoil wouldnt even retract back in for at least 15-20 min. trying started on clutch like 6 times, then rope finally sucked back in pulled it over with some throttle and fired right up. after everything warmed up recoil worked good and started fine the rest of the day. Talked to MMS and the said the Grease on the recoil get cold and thickens up, apparently cleaning it doesnt do anything. Looks like ill be buying a $600 Elec start kit cause this was a pain in the ass....

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Valemount this last weekend, i had never had this problem until reading this thread, then wouldnt you know it, it happened to me. My recoil wouldnt even retract back in for at least 15-20 min. trying started on clutch like 6 times, then rope finally sucked back in pulled it over with some throttle and fired right up. after everything warmed up recoil worked good and started fine the rest of the day. Talked to MMS and the said the Grease on the recoil get cold and thickens up, apparently cleaning it doesnt do anything. Looks like ill be buying a $600 Elec start kit cause this was a pain in the ass....

^this^

Is why I have estart

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you mean reflash?
This thread is literally 10 years old bud! He has not been seen since Aug 2020 - so he's likely not going to answer you! I'm guessing when he meant "flashed" it up, he meant "start it up"

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
This thread is literally 10 years old bud! He has not been seen since Aug 2020 - so he's likely not going to answer you! I'm guessing when he meant "flashed" it up, he meant "start it up"
Just looking to see if anyone has answers that are new haha

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
So my dads 800 etec is acting strange. It is super hard to pull anything below -10c and was not like that a couple years ago. And when you try to start it doesn’t want to run without sitting there nursing the throttle. It goes all the way down to 1050rpm idle then quits. I think it’s missing on a cylinder too to start. Takes a long time to warm up too. Would this be from old gas or something more going on? I’m not sure if bad gas would cause it to make it that hard to pull. -10c or lower its like a rock

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my dads 800 etec is acting strange. It is super hard to pull anything below -10c and was not like that a couple years ago. And when you try to start it doesn’t want to run without sitting there nursing the throttle. It goes all the way down to 1050rpm idle then quits. I think it’s missing on a cylinder too to start. Takes a long time to warm up too. Would this be from old gas or something more going on? I’m not sure if bad gas would cause it to make it that hard to pull. -10c or lower its like a rock
Hard to pull over:
-belt too tight or clutch dragging
-disassemble and clean the the recoil
-did you switch oils?

Crappy Idle:
-get rid of the old gas
-change the plugs AND wires

If it continues:
-weak stator
-damaged reeds
-low compression

BubbleNuts

Reaction score
Hard to pull over:
-did you switch oils?

Crappy Idle:
-get rid of the old gas

If it continues:
-weak stator
-damaged reeds
-low compression
Hard to pull over:
-did you switch oils?

Crappy Idle:
-get rid of the old gas

If it continues:
-weak stator
-damaged reeds
-low compression
I think we’ll look at belt tightness, get some new gas and check plugs. It there any possibility of crappy plugs not allowing it to turn over? And same oil. Didn’t do this last year just this year

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we’ll look at belt tightness, get some new gas and check plugs. It there any possibility of crappy plugs not allowing it to turn over? And same oil. Didn’t do this last year just this year
My experience with the 800 etec and plugs is that if they're worn/fouled, it will make cold starts miserable. Pop some new plugs in, index them correctly and put some fresh gas in. How many KM on the sled?

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 did that. Pull rope and it would chug along for a few seconds and die. Then couldn't pull the rope. It ended up being a throttle position sensor I think it was. Something along that line anyway. Would dump way too much fuel in. New and indexed plugs did not help mine in that situation

Top Bottom