2012 etec wont start cold over -25

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed in Golden couple weeks ago cannot start this sled -25 or colder, the first pull it sputters a bit and that's it, we pass the rope around and just wont go.

I have had to do this everytime pull it off the deck and slide the clutch side up against the truck exhaust and tarp it for 15 minutes.

My old 08 would start any temp.

??

Attachments

• -28.jpg
    -28.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 399

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn that's some ingenuitive hoarding. If you search around on here it seems it's a common problem with the etec, poor cold starting. Haven't heard of any fixes yet, too cold to ride for me so I've been fine lol.

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn that's some ingenuitive hoarding. If you search around on here it seems it's a common problem with the etec, poor cold starting. Haven't heard of any fixes yet, too cold to ride for me so I've been fine lol.

It was -33 at the house yesterday morning , we went out around 10am, its only cold when you go to fast lol

I guess build that garage in June .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just like using the Herman-Nelson for starting the bush planes. When I was up north, there were times when one couldn't even pull the rope out. Just tarped it up and hung a light bulb in there. Have to be careful not to be touching anything. An interior car heater works best!

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propane torch on the left cyl will work too. Frees up that side so you can pull it over faster. Done this 2x now on brothers sled and fires right up

Sent from my iPhone using

Megrizzly

Reaction score
I don't ride one, but when I started a 2012 yesterday morning at -26, it sputter and die or backfire. Finally, i pulled and when it sputtered, just gave it some gas. Definitely not the greatest cold weather starter. Other thing i noticed is the pull handle is piss-poor for pulling with two hands compared to my polaris.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why are they not starting?
Do they need some Cat technology for fuel injection .
Is it just the pull start that don't start?
If a person grabs clutch and turns sled over a couple times with kill shut off before using recoil?
Does this help?
The 600 etec started very good at - 40 with e start thou.
800 ptec also started good when cold.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I jumped on my buddy's '13 etec the other day to move it and was surprised how much stiffer it was than my p-tek. I guess there's a reason why pull start is the option

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why are they not starting?
Do they need some Cat technology for fuel injection .
Is it just the pull start that don't start?
If a person grabs clutch and turns sled over a couple times with kill shut off before using recoil?
Does this help?
The 600 etec started very good at - 40 with e start thou.
800 ptec also started good when cold.

Spun clutch a bunch pulled the plug we could get the wrench on, burned the the head gas out, heated plug, nothing. Seems if they don't go first pull it floods out.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When super cold yo need a helper to hold throttle 1/4 open while you give it some ape pulls

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2012 Etec and never had an issue with cold starting(mind you only had it that cold a couple times but mostly first pull starts)Any way I noticed it slowly got harder and harder to start over a while. well eventually at 2300 km the reeds failed completely. when I got them apart it was clear they had been bad for some time they were all frayed and chipped around the tips. maybe your reeds are on the way out also? just a thought, maybe or maybe not.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started mine 2 days ago at -29. I slowly pulled it over twice then gave a normal pull. It would fire then stall.4 pulls n it was running. 2013 etec with 1300km's. Buddy has identical sled n his started well with electric start so pulling it over fas must play a roll. Both stock i have a except TSS can n he has an mbrp .

i would see if u can get it reflashed to the newest one. I know some guys have a very slight bog and they get the reflash and it takes care of the bog. Maybe with the reflash it will start better too.when they start that cold they idle at 1750 RPM's. Mine vibrates like hell at that rpm but then is normal at 1150. I noticed at 1950RPM it doesn't vibrate. Would b nice if they could up the rpm's some how on a comd start.

u could try a hotter plug. See if the 2012 uses same plug as the 13's.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2013 won't start either.
I am carrying propane buddy heater with me, inside enclosed trailer.
Here is another advantage having trailer instead of deck

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2012 Etec and never had an issue with cold starting(mind you only had it that cold a couple times but mostly first pull starts)Any way I noticed it slowly got harder and harder to start over a while. well eventually at 2300 km the reeds failed completely. when I got them apart it was clear they had been bad for some time they were all frayed and chipped around the tips. maybe your reeds are on the way out also? just a thought, maybe or maybe not.

2900km's, never been looked at.

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started mine 2 days ago at -29. I slowly pulled it over twice then gave a normal pull. It would fire then stall.4 pulls n it was running. 2013 etec with 1300km's. Buddy has identical sled n his started well with electric start so pulling it over fas must play a roll. Both stock i have a except TSS can n he has an mbrp .

i would see if u can get it reflashed to the newest one. I know some guys have a very slight bog and they get the reflash and it takes care of the bog. Maybe with the reflash it will start better too.when they start that cold they idle at 1750 RPM's. Mine vibrates like hell at that rpm but then is normal at 1150. I noticed at 1950RPM it doesn't vibrate. Would b nice if they could up the rpm's some how on a comd start.

u could try a hotter plug. See if the 2012 uses same plug as the 13's.

when mine is cold is idles around 2000, after a minute or so if I blup the throttle it comes down to 1150 then slowly idles up again when out of warm up mode idles fine.

**** I forgot to ask too, always find a little drool of antifreeze under the sled when cold anyone else? bad clamp? cant see where the spot is get it up to temp the overflow is still full.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2013 won't start either.
I am carrying propane buddy heater with me, inside enclosed trailer.
Here is another advantage having trailer instead of deck

Lots of times when a deck has more advantage though too. :)

On cold mornings I have separated the can from the pipe and moved it over enough (like an inch) to get a propane torch up into the pipe, then just preheated the motor a little that way. You could do it at the y pipe as well, but if you did, I wouldn't put the torch right on the pistons or you will burn the oil off, it just needs indirect heat. Couple mins up the pipe and then it usually lit right up. If you have a straight through can, you can maybe shoot it all the way up the exhaust pipe as well, although I always worried about the actual amount of heat that ever made it to the cylinders that way.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when mine is cold is idles around 2000, after a minute or so if I blup the throttle it comes down to 1150 then slowly idles up again when out of warm up mode idles fine.

**** I forgot to ask too, always find a little drool of antifreeze under the sled when cold anyone else? bad clamp? cant see where the spot is get it up to temp the overflow is still full.

They all do it when cold, xp or xm

Stupid squeeze clamps, and plastic nipples don't expand and contract with rubber

sent while I should be drinking tea's

on the fence

Reaction score
open your secondary up with the L tool then it pulls over easier started my 2014 at -26 no problem 2pulls??

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as rgm said they will go you just need someone to hold the throttle open but man are they stiff after minus 25 so hard to pull

Top Bottom