2012 Etec with RPM ISSUE

ANDY SAIGER

Reaction score
I am running a 2012 etec with a MBRP can and as far as I know it has had the updates. I was out today running trails at around 1100 feet above sea level. If I start off from a stop the sled will hit 7900 -8000 rpms no problem but after a about 4- 5 seconds of WOT it drops back to 7300 - 7500. If I run along at 4500 rpms and go WOT it will only rev to 7300 - 7500. It is on clicker one. some times at WOT the sled will fall on its face for a seconds or two.
This happens most of the time but sometimes it runs great.
Any ideas?

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe you need some sort of precalibrated sea level clutch kit. Either brp's or Dynamo Joe's (DJ's is awesome). If my understanding is right, running on clicker 1 with too light a pinweight will shift out faster and actually overshift, then drop because there is not enough load from the track once you are moving. Not enogh pinweight makes it worse.

You cant just use clickers to calibrate for elevation. They are more meant for changes in the field for snow conditions and same day elevation changes.

Think about it. If clicker 1 was meant to be ideal for Sea level, BRP wouldnt be slogging the sea level clutch kits on every summit

I might be off on my actual theory (probably am) but I say clutching is the easiest and cheapest to change, thus should be the first option explored. If you are running a proven kit like DJ's and still have problems, well then at least you have it clutched great and can move to the next thing.

Last edited:

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine acted something like that . Once I got the re flash and the RAVE bolt recall done it works much better. One of my bolts were completely off. Make sure you had the most recent update.

wimpy#1

Reaction score
My 12 had the same symptoms after I changed the primary spring from the stock 160/350 to a 130/350. Well the part number from the dealership said it was a 130/350. A 130/350 spring should be marked blue/pink but this so called 130/350 spring was blue/ and not quite pink but the part number indicated I had the right one so in it went.

I had the dealership do the latest updates but the sled still fell on its face. I've changed the primary spring back to stock 160/350 and am going sledding to test the change.

wimpy#1

Reaction score
Returned from tryout on Stoney Mtn. The sled rocks 7900-8000 on clicker 1 @ 2400 ft. and bouncing off the limiter on the trail.

Check your clutch

Top Bottom