2011 Ford Dually Rear Air Bags

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rear seems a little soft to me, so I'm looking at throwing some bags in it. I've found a few different setups online that seem descent, but none have the compressor and gauges. Probably not a big deal to line that stuff up after the fact. I'm curious as to what everybody else is running. I have the factory 25k Ford fifth wheel hitch in it, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

hmmc

Reaction score
I have run both firestone and pacbrake, both seem to hold up. I like the construction and quality of the pacbrake kit more and have been using them as of late. The pacbrake bags seems to be a better quality more like a heavy truck bag . The price is very close in Edmonton Lacustoms, NADP, and Raven sell them I know.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Firestone bags in my 09f350 if you plan I keeping the truck I would get some kind of air compressor
also I am pretty sure you need a special kit when you have the factory fifth wheel hitch as the mount plates need to be different to go around the hitch backets

I bought mine out of the states and even after paying an extra $80 for shipping
I still saved a 150.00 over the pest price I could find I red deer

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had a truck with bags before? If not you will hate the ride when empty. I put bags on my F-450 and will never do it again. I have 2011 F-350 dually now. I pull a 42' toy hauler and I have no intention ever wasting money on bags again. Hated them. If I ever need the extra lift I will go to a spring shop and get an extra leaf put on the over loads. I did that years ago and it works awesome. Plus its cheap. You get the extra lift when loaded and you run on the normal leafs when empty.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had a truck with bags before? If not you will hate the ride when empty. I put bags on my F-450 and will never do it again. I have 2011 F-350 dually now. I pull a 42' toy hauler and I have no intention ever wasting money on bags again. Hated them. If I ever need the extra lift I will go to a spring shop and get an extra leaf put on the over loads. I did that years ago and it works awesome. Plus its cheap. You get the extra lift when loaded and you run on the normal leafs when empty.

How much friggin air did u have unloaded ???

I have bags in mine and wouldn't go with extra leafs.

I run between 5-10 psi unloaded and rides way better than stock.

Run about 60 psi towing the toyhauler.
Yes unloaded 60 psi is too much and rides like a lumber wagon.

from my HTC

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same set of firestone bags on my 12 dually as i had on my 05 so we are talking 900000kms++ and are still holding up great as for compressor not sure.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya for sure, I've several trucks with bags....can't say as I've ever hated any of them, as i always dumped the air when empty. That said, I've never had an on board compressor, so it was a bit of a pain in the ass to dump the bags when i dollied off the trailer just to fill them back up again when I hook up. The rig I'm using now is a little Freightliner with auto leveling valves, so it does the work for me. I bought the dually to rePlace it, and I'll have the toyhauler on and off lots this year, so a compressor is a must. I think I'll end up trying a set of Firestone bags.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya for sure, I've several trucks with bags....can't say as I've ever hated any of them, as i always dumped the air when empty. That said, I've never had an on board compressor, so it was a bit of a pain in the ass to dump the bags when i dollied off the trailer just to fill them back up again when I hook up. The rig I'm using now is a little Freightliner with auto leveling valves, so it does the work for me. I bought the dually to rePlace it, and I'll have the toyhauler on and off lots this year, so a compressor is a must. I think I'll end up trying a set of Firestone bags.
Got rid of the freightliner eh....
Damn dog prolly shook it to pieces lol

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got rid of the freightliner eh....
Damn dog prolly shook it to pieces lol

Hahaha, no I still have it for now....not totally sure if I want to sell it or not. I'll try the dually for a bit before I get too carried away. I did get rid of humpin dog though.

realwickedone

Reaction score
Ya have to agree with you i've done the bag thing and for real heavy stuff didn't care for it,have a 2004 f-350 dually and use to put the 10'5ft Bigfoot camper on and then pull a 22ft quad trailer with 4 fullsize quads and then 12ft cartop and gear was pretty heavy!!!! Didn't like they way it handled very wishy washy,and a lot of body lean cornering at highway speed, i even had to replace one bag because it rubbed thru,now thats a hand full when your driving loaded and the bag lets go!!! i went and added 2 springs to the main back,and then had the spring shop make up an over load pack that consisted of 5 leafs, when that thing was loaded it sat totally level i could throw that thing into any corner and feel very confident,i think the bags would be okay if your just looking to trim up the ass end a bit, but for heavy stuff i think your better off to add a couple of leafs.Just may 2 cents from experience>

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much friggin air did u have unloaded ???

I have bags in mine and wouldn't go with extra leafs.

I run between 5-10 psi unloaded and rides way better than stock.

Run about 60 psi towing the toyhauler.
Yes unloaded 60 psi is too much and rides like a lumber wagon.

from my HTC

I tried running the bags with all kinds of different air pressures from 0 to 60 PSI and it rode like a Haywagon

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 1 ton I don't care what you do but rather than throwing 2000 lbs in the back it's going to ride like chit

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As far as compressors go I have the air ride wireless system and it has worked great for the last for years, other then the relay rusting out. The air bags will need to be mounted inbaord for that hitch.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the wireless system as well, but I am finding that the compressor runs on and off alot, looked for leaks and can not find any, it does not loose alot of air and the system does have leak detection which is not alarmed in. I think it has to do with ambiant temperature and load shifting as one minute it bleeds off and the next it is filling. It will only run for only a second, but due to the weather conditions in central Alberta I think it ends up pulling in alot of moisture in and freezes up the pressure sensor. I have been wanting to call the manufacturer and find out if I can set a larger control deadband maybe to 2 or 3 psi as I believe it will adjust with .5 psi difference to setpoint, but have not gotten around to it. The controller does seem to use a a few sets of batteries but other then that convenience is very nice and no wires or hoses need to ran into the cab.

I also run my air bags at 5 psi when not loaded and from what I can tell my ride did not change, it does not make any sense to me why running a minimum pressure would have any effect on ride only way it would is if you were pressured up unloaded.

As far as compressors go I have the air ride wireless system and it has worked great for the last for years, other then the relay rusting out. The air bags will need to be mounted inbaord for that hitch.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also have the wireless firestone system, i went with the heavier duty air comprerssor so it fills up the airbags real quick. i find it kicks on and off more at the start when in stop and go type of traffic, the rubber in the bags might be warming up...i dunno. but i dont see the compressor kicking on and off an issue, its just doing what its supposed to....

i like the system because you can set to fill 4 airbags independantly or all together, i also got installed an air out in my truck box so i can have a small air supply for filling up tires or whatever

you can also set up 3 pre-set pressures so you dont have to scroll through to the psi you want.

had installed in two trucks, one didnt work out of the box... so warranty reaplaced that right away

Top Bottom