2011 800 etec died

jumpingjack

Reaction score
:(
I need some help and was hoping someone on hear might be able to provide some answers.

On Sunday the PTO crank bearing failed on my 800 etec summit sled and took out the top end of the motor in the process. My dealer is not having any luck finding a 2011 short block to install. They checked 2012's and found 6 available but was told that they won't work. They were not given any answers as to why so they are waiting for a 2011 to come available.
I was not awhere of any major changes that were made to the 2012 etec motors that would prevent my dealer from putting one in. In November my dealer installed the 2012 pistons and reflashed the ECM and that was all I though was different.
Is there anyone out there that knows why a 2012 motor won't work? To make it work what would be involved?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont believe their are any rebuild shortblocks even available yet. Tell your dealer to order you a new crank to get you going before XMAS. If they cant supply rebuild parts then new shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!

jumpingjack

Reaction score
New crank won't help. Need cases and cylinders too!

Does Ski doo have a web site where you can look up the part numbers of each year to compare the difference?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some one might be able to do a link for you or just go to skidoo.com and there is a parts fiche on there.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think the motors are very similar the big hurdle is gonna be all the electrical components that need to be switched over. For example the obvious is the ECM, which also is the most expensive, they probably won't entertain this option as it would cost them a bunch of money. Keep pressure on them to come up with a soltuion for you so your able to get out over the holidays. Best of luck!

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I would think the motors are very similar the big hurdle is gonna be all the electrical components that need to be switched over. For example the obvious is the ECM, which also is the most expensive, they probably won't entertain this option as it would cost them a bunch of money. Keep pressure on them to come up with a soltuion for you so your able to get out over the holidays. Best of luck!

I'm not asking my dealer to change all the electrical components to make it a 2012 sled, I just want to know if the short block will work with all of my 2011 components. The ECM was already reflashed with the 2012 program in November so that is not the issue.
I did find out that the injectors are a different part number but that doesn't mean it's different. The injector base gasket is the same for both years so my injectors should work.

linksys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rather ironic..............

If this was a CAT failure....Maxwell (who does not own a CAT) would have had 10 posts already boasting his wisdom of his CAT knowledge.....but here is a DOO failure and not one post from Maxwell (the guy who eats, breath, bleeds DOO)............

rather ironic.......

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not asking my dealer to change all the electrical components to make it a 2012 sled, I just want to know if the short block will work with all of my 2011 components. The ECM was already reflashed with the 2012 program in November so that is not the issue.
I did find out that the injectors are a different part number but that doesn't mean it's different. The injector base gasket is the same for both years so my injectors should work.

I don't see how the 2012 programing works in a 2011 motor. The injectors are larger in the 2012, less duty cycle.

Operating a 2011 motor on 2012, don't think so.

The 2012 short blocks are different, different enough that they wouldn't work as a replacement for a 2011 shorty, I think you might find there are more things different.

superduty 348

Reaction score
I had a buddy go though the same thing on his 2011 etec , the dealer told him no cranks available but ended up finding one after a couple of weeks, and just got it back. He only had 2200 kms and crank gone now that sucks

jumpingjack

Reaction score
I don't see how the 2012 programing works in a 2011 motor. The injectors are larger in the 2012, less duty cycle. Operating a 2011 motor on 2012, don't think so. The 2012 short blocks are different, different enough that they wouldn't work as a replacement for a 2011 shorty, I think you might find there are more things different.
I understand that there may be different components bolted to the block but the skidoo part numbers for the short blocks are the same. My injecters should still bolt in along with all my existing components.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rather ironic..............

If this was a CAT failure....Maxwell (who does not own a CAT) would have had 10 posts already boasting his wisdom of his CAT knowledge.....but here is a DOO failure and not one post from Maxwell (the guy who eats, breath, bleeds DOO)............

rather ironic.......

what do you want me to do poop out an engine for the guy?

jumpingjack

Reaction score
Just recieved the good news from my dealer. BRP final approved the install of a 2012 short block into my sled. Dealer worked hard for me to get this done. The short block is on it's way and if all goes well my dealer will have me up and running by the weekend.
Good dealers are hard to find no matter what brand of sled your riding. A good dealer will keep you coming back because of the extra effort they put into to get you back up iand running. My 2011 is the 5th new sled I have bought from this dealer and I will by my new from them as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just recieved the good news from my dealer. BRP final approved the install of a 2012 short block into my sled. Dealer worked hard for me to get this done. The short block is on it's way and if all goes well my dealer will have me up and running by the weekend.
Good dealers are hard to find no matter what brand of sled your riding. A good dealer will keep you coming back because of the extra effort they put into to get you back up iand running. My 2011 is the 5th new sled I have bought from this dealer and I will by my new from them as well.

that deffinetly makes you want to go back thats for sure.

So any more on why the failure happend?

Top Bottom