2011 600 Switchback Fouls Plugs

Simpy1963

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Switchback 600 with 409 miles on it! At 323 miles while the sled was still on warranty, it started fouling plugs The last set lasted 8 miles, started to bog and then run on one cylinder and changed the plugs and it was good! Seems when it warms up a bit, it runs poorly. had it to my polaris dealer and they just charge me $300 to tell me nothing showed up! If you let it warm up by idling to temp, needs new plugs, over fuels real bad. Had it out today and it's 0 degrees c, ran rough at idle , once you got over 2000 rpm smoothed out. ran over to neighbors and on way back started to bog, changed the plugs , ran good, when I backed it into the shop , it would backfire when I engaged the reverse, it was up to operating temp. Talked to the service manager at my local Polaris dealer in Lloydminster and he blamed it on the NGK plugs that they sold me, it fouls Champions as well. he did concede that I should maybe take it to the dealer in Vermilion or Bonnyville, having another dealer look at it might find the issue. Seems when it warms up, there is a problem and the sled over fuels. temp sensor? or just coincedence? First started last summer when I was fogging it. I could not get it to run and it overfuelled and ate plugs like candy! What do you think?

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
I assume its fuel injected and if it started doing it after fogging then double check every thing you took apart intake boots what ever cane apart.then make sure nothing got stuck in the throttle bodys any thing in the butter flys even a hair will make them over fuel or a leaking intake boot will do the same.

Simpy1963

Reaction score
Yes it is a fuel injected. The last time it was at the dealers they pulled everything apart. They tech said he checked the boots, pulled the reeds apart and everything appeared okay when I fogged it I didn't take anything apart, I poured a measured amount of oil in the cylinders as the manual says. let me correct myself. The sled ran perfect until I went to summerize it. It was +12 and I couldn't get it to run to run the fuel treatment through it. The only fuel injected sled on the farm and all the issues. it was still on warranty, so I took it in and they found nothing, took it in again this winter with the same issue and they still couldn't find anything. in 79 miles it has ruined 5 set of plugs

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
was it running ok when you started the fuel treatment and then started running bad while doing the treatment.What kind of treatment and how did you do it

Simpy1963

Reaction score
Pulled the air box and checked the butterflies. They were clean. Ended up resealing the air box and front headlight. Started checking the wiring and all seemed well. Checked the plug wires and bingo! They were both broke on the inside! Not sure how, started right up and idled smoothly. Took it for a quick run and pulled the plugs, all is well Thanks

Jim

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to check the simple stuff first. I'm not sure I would be wanting to go to your dealer though if they didn't find that.

Top Bottom