2010 summit engine DONE

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
yes it has 2500 it was a rental. but still 2500is a joke for a sled that costs 12-15000 with this engine. Yes the liquid cooling does help but the heat is transfered to the crank and the only way it can disipate is thru the bearings to the case.

The first 8 words in your post explain it all, one time i rented a toyota echo while at a wedding in Trail B.C. That car is supposed to get like 40mpg, it doesnt come close to that when everywhere you go the e brake is locked on and u 4x4 downhill in a sand dune. Just saying rentals might not get treated quite the way you would treat your own stuff, the old ladies 08 xp has 4800km on it and has not even needed a spark plug. I will be tearing engine down this summer to freshen it up for another 4800k of trouble free riding.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do you have to pull the engine? pull the outer crank seal and inject some clean isoflex. end of story.

at 5000+ miles THEN inspect the inner crank bearings...

yes you can do this But how do you get the seal back in(properly) the seal uses the interference between the upper and lower case to hold it in place. I guess if you use a hammer and a seal installer to beat it in i guess that would work. also you MUST pressure test the engine or you take the chance of having a air leak these = a squeek

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam at 6000k.m on my 800 doo replace the piston at 5000k.m nothing wrong
with old piston motor clean running strong bought another 800 back country
I don't suspect any problems. My dad on the other hand bought brand new
f8 arctic cat 1 tank fuel of easy riding blew the motor ring let go .Bad mouthing SkiDoo really get me going. a motor a motor how you treat that machine is how its going to treat you.You ride hard you are going to pay.:realmad:

this can happen BUT notice what you said "it happenned in the first tank.""" this you could defenitly say was a problem at the factory assembly line. somebody possibly broke the ring and the end result was what you said. I can fully understand this type of failure, notice it was really quick. I bet he is still riding it and isn't worrying about crank problems

would somebody explain to me how you can abuse a rental and how it would be any different than your own machine.?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first 8 words in your post explain it all, one time i rented a toyota echo while at a wedding in Trail B.C. That car is supposed to get like 40mpg, it doesnt come close to that when everywhere you go the e brake is locked on and u 4x4 downhill in a sand dune. Just saying rentals might not get treated quite the way you would treat your own stuff, the old ladies 08 xp has 4800km on it and has not even needed a spark plug. I will be tearing engine down this summer to freshen it up for another 4800k of trouble free riding.

would somebody explain to me how you can abuse a rental and how it would be any different than your own machine.?

if you could leave the cvt in first gear all the time and over rev it all the time i would say yes that is abuse. But how can you abuse it. love to here the answers to this one.:)

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

if you could leave the cvt in first gear all the time and over rev it all the time i would say yes that is abuse. But how can you abuse it. love to here the answers to this one.:)

1. Unloading it off the truck at -15 pulling the cord and putting it to the bar for the duration of the trail
  2. Overheating the sled on the trail in low snow conditions
  3. Holding it to the bar absolultely everywhere never letting off
  4. There will be the cases of gross negligence where d bags will drop from clicker 4 to clicker 1 and run the sled at 8600 RPM all day

The list could go on. It's amazing how hard people can be on iron they don't own a bolt in.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

when I was in Kakwa this spring, there was no fresh snow on the trail and the sled would flash an overheat warning and go into limp mode. so I would stop, dig some snow out of the crusty snowbank and pack the top of the heat exchanger and wait for 10 minutes or so until when I started it the overheat warning was gone. lather, rinse, repeat....we ran into some other guys that were on rental XPs having the same issue and it was then that I learned the 800R would shut off by itself when it got too hot. because that's what they were doing....ignoring the warning light, and running it until the yellow engine light came on well after it was in limp mode already, until the engine would shut down. I call that abuse...

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Although I have had no problems with my 800R I do feel the quality of the engine is not the same as my old 800HO. I have never had to worry about overheating as much as I do now. My light has never come on but my antifreeze was bubbling out on the trail going up at Blue this year so I fiqure I must have a faulty sensor. Either way my reservoir was empty at the end of the day. Sled still runs perfect though.:confused:

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
  1. Unloading it off the truck at -15 pulling the cord and putting it to the bar for the duration of the trailYes this is a good one but when you consider WHAT the failure was (CRANK) bearings that are grease filled. it will have no effect
  2. Overheating the sled on the trail in low snow conditionsYes this one would/could cause damage and boil the grease out of the bearings BUT it would do so on BOTH sides of the engine. The mag side the grease looks like it was almost new nice and shiney
  3. Holding it to the bar absolultely everywhere never letting off ?? would like to see somebody do this in the big hills and live to tell about it.
  4. There will be the cases of gross negligence where d bags will drop from clicker 4 to clicker 1 and run the sled at 8600 RPM all day YES could happen. This in the long run could cause damage.but again over reving causes wrist pin boss failures (usually) not bearing problems

The list could go on. It's amazing how hard people can be on iron they don't own a bolt in.
yes i have rented a car to and have had a heavy foot but to say pull a N drop no.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when I was in Kakwa this spring, there was no fresh snow on the trail and the sled would flash an overheat warning and go into limp mode. so I would stop, dig some snow out of the crusty snowbank and pack the top of the heat exchanger and wait for 10 minutes or so until when I started it the overheat warning was gone. lather, rinse, repeat....we ran into some other guys that were on rental XPs having the same issue and it was then that I learned the 800R would shut off by itself when it got too hot. because that's what they were doing....ignoring the warning light, and running it until the yellow engine light came on well after it was in limp mode already, until the engine would shut down. I call that abuse...

yes this is abuse but like i said you would see signs of this throughout the whole engine.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes this is abuse but like i said you would see signs of this throughout the whole engine.
I would say that the combination of clutch heat and engine heat would first show results on the pto side though. maybe after 3000 miles it would have burnt both sides?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i have rented a car to and have had a heavy foot but to say pull a N drop no.

You asked how you could abuse a rental not necessarily how you could abuse a rental a cause the specific problem you're having. Any type of abuse is detrimental to the machine as a whole. When buying a machine that has been ridden hard and put away wet it should be no real surprise when things have issues or wear out prematurely as a result. You should find a 'gently' used formal rental M8 and see what kinds of issues it has. That would give you a true comparison.

I beg to differ that spinning an engine too fast won't cause crank failure. I've had a great deal of first hand knowledge with replacing cranks in modded 670s spinning at 8600 rpm.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya bought a rental and ya got the green wiener. Too bad. Was your trusty AC a rental?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say that the combination of clutch heat and engine heat would first show results on the pto side though. maybe after 3000 miles it would have burnt both sides?

YES
Signs of overheating will usually show a little more on the clutch side again because of the extra heat from the clutch. Again this was one of my points. If BRP made a way for the clutches to be aligned properly and vented the clutches properly. I probably wouldn't have started this thread.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You asked how you could abuse a rental not necessarily how you could abuse a rental a cause the specific problem you're having. Any type of abuse is detrimental to the machine as a whole. When buying a machine that has been ridden hard and put away wet it should be no real surprise when things have issues or wear out prematurely as a result. You should find a 'gently' used formal rental M8 and see what kinds of issues it has. That would give you a true comparison. Yes i am buying a couple M8's in the next couple weeks. as well as a couple 600renegades
M8's have 3000 miles on them renegades are etec's with 3500miles.

I beg to differ that spinning an engine too fast won't cause crank failure. I've had a great deal of first hand knowledge with replacing cranks in modded 670s spinning at 8600 rpm.
Yes spinning to fast will lower the longetivity of a sled/crank bearings can start to skid etc etc. but to see such a huge difference between the 2 cyl.'s tells me that there are other issues.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya bought a rental and ya got the green wiener. Too bad. Was your trusty AC a rental?

no but it was ridden hard and i ride it hard. Like i said i will be getting some rentals in the near future m8 and renegades Time will tell

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
YES
Signs of overheating will usually show a little more on the clutch side again because of the extra heat from the clutch. Again this was one of my points. If BRP made a way for the clutches to be aligned properly and vented the clutches properly. I probably wouldn't have started this thread.

:rant: They know the issuses so why do they not rectify them. Every manufacturer has had issuses the last few years with certain models and yet they seem more focused on shootin' the sleds out the door and deal with it later :mad: Makes no sense to try and build a foundation here with your product for the buyer. Dam good thing there are "some" good dealers around to deal with this lack of quality control :beer:

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:rant: They know the issuses so why do they not rectify them. Every manufacturer has had issuses the last few years with certain models and yet they seem more focused on shootin' the sleds out the door and deal with it later :mad: Makes no sense to try and build a foundation here with your product for the buyer. Dam good thing there are "some" good dealers around to deal with this lack of quality control :beer:

yes you are right your dealer can be your best friend in times like this.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are in agreement on at least one thing....

LMAO :) yes I don't normally try to force people to see my way. LOL:)
But BRP has a huge problem that they are allowing/forcing the public to swallow. Yes i could always buy another brand but i just felt i would give these a try. who knows maybe i will like it after all of this. time will tell.

keep the shinny side up boys

Top Bottom