2010 Outty 800 or 2010 850 xp

Apextenn

Reaction score
Just wondering what people would suggest bettween the two i currently have a 06 outty 800 but looking to upgrade to a newer maching havent really heard much about the new polaris just wondering what other people would suggest i know that the polaris is about 1500 cheaper which makes it a interesting. I was just wondering how the new polaris's were and if they have done allot to improve them. Any input would be appreciated as i know no one that has a polaris 850 xp

DIRT LUMP

Reaction score
both machines have big hp,I think they are only 1-2hp difference for 2010.they are both great machines,personal prefference I suppose.If you watch the mud nationals in the USA the polaris dominates as a mud machine and works great in the water ,depends what you use it for also.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my Polaris 850 in September 09

I have only put 300 km on it.
Have had no issues at all.

Rad is higher helps for mud.

2 recalls one for a vapor valve on the airbox (something like that)
And a front end spindle/ball joint thing.

I have power steering and it's great.
Rides,handles very well.

I tried my friends 800 otty before I bought this.
If you need more information no problem

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I do not own an 850 but I do own 6 other 2009 polaris quads and 1 Outty 800. I have never rode the 850 myself but have ridden with quite a few last summer and got a chance to really see what they could do in all aspects of terrain. From hill climbing, deep river crossings and extreme muskeg. The 850's I rode with would not beat the 800 other than in the deep swift water crossings. The 850 would stick to the bottom better when the water depth was over the tires and my 800 would get swept away a little.This was mostly due to the extra weight. One of the 850's I rode with needed to change a belt after smoking it trying to pull out another quad. We ended up limping it back to camp because the tool kit didn't have the proper tools to change it in the bush. It was a big job to change the belt :eek: Overall I was fairly impressed.....BUT all the other experience I have had with my own Polaris' has kept me away from owning one as my personal ride. :eek: I'm upgrading my Outlander this spring and it sure won't be the 850 I'm getting. I'm going to stick to the Outlander 800... without a doubt :)
This will be my third Outlander. I ride 2500 HARD miles a year.

Attachments

• mudflinging.jpg
    mudflinging.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 261
  • Puttin' it out there.jpg
    Puttin' it out there.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 36
  • rippin.jpg
    rippin.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 262

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the Polaris, but I do know that Can am is more powerful and lighter. If I were to buy another quad it'd be a Can am. I think it's the best quad in the market...just my thoughts....

Sweet pics man!! Nice outy jump!

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '09 850 XP Polaris and have just over 1500km on it with NO problems at all. It has very good power, but sometimes towing or really tough going the torque limiter will slip (it is supposed to do that), but it can be a bit crappy when it happens. It rides great, good on fuel, starts good in VERY cold weather etc.
I did own a 2007 800 H.O. XT Can-Am outty and loved it, but it was always in the shop getting fixed (i'm sure it was just a lemon, most a very good).
The 800 Can-Am will feel like it has more power in straight line take off, but they are very close. Even though the Polaris is heavier it feels lighter and more nimble in aggressive riding, it also has a better factory suspension and brakes. Although whichever one you go with count on replacing the brake pads at about 1000km or sooner (use aftermarket ones).
You will get more warranty with the Can-Am, but watch out after the first 6 months it's a $50 deductible for everything (even a warranty claim worth less than $50).
I have not tried the new Can-Am with power steering (my Polaris has P.S.) but i'm sure it would really change the machine for the better.
After owning both i'm not sure which one to go with, they are both great machines, but i think if i had not had my (lemon of a Can-Am) i would probably lean that way. If you need to save a few bucks you will not go wrong with the Polaris i do love mine!!

Apextenn

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys i really wish bombardier would just put their 1000 rotax in a quad then it would be a easy decision but they seem to be wary about doing that for some reason. I just wish that bombardier would be more competitive with their priceing in canada as they are in the states. Just somewhat eruks me to pay so much for bombardier products compared to any other manufature when without the canadian taxpayer they wouldnt be around but they do build good products still trying to decide i guess i have to take a 2010 polaris for a ride as they seem as far as what people have said a very good machine.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both machines have big hp,I think they are only 1-2hp difference for 2010.they are both great machines,personal prefference I suppose.If you watch the mud nationals in the USA the polaris dominates as a mud machine and works great in the water ,depends what you use it for also.

WRONG..It is canan that dominate the mud pits ,second is artic cat.The new 850 will get better at this as they get a few bugs worked out.You will not get the power out of the 850 that you will out of the rotax when modified....

H2O

Reaction score
I have both machines (not 2010s) they are both good machines. The main issue with the 850XP and why it was mentioned earlier about mud, snow and hill climb performance is those chitty stock tires.
If you put good tires on the xp850 it is just as capable as the outy.
P.S is great for those slow 4x4 low steep and rough terrain days.
The Xp has a 1.5" longer wheel base and has a shorter turning radius that the outy
Suspension travel and ground clearance are virtually the same.
As for which one is quicker in a dirt road drag race the outy comes out the winner regardless of rider.

FyreRyder

Reaction score
The main issue with the 850XP and why it was mentioned earlier about mud, snow and hill climb performance is those chitty stock tires.

Are you talking about the big horn tires? They seem to be really good in the winter. Last spring Hadster was the only one to drive up an icy hill after seven quads winched up before him.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys i really wish bombardier would just put their 1000 rotax in a quad then it would be a easy decision but they seem to be wary about doing that for some reason. I just wish that bombardier would be more competitive with their priceing in canada as they are in the states. Just somewhat eruks me to pay so much for bombardier products compared to any other manufature when without the canadian taxpayer they wouldnt be around but they do build good products still trying to decide i guess i have to take a 2010 polaris for a ride as they seem as far as what people have said a very good machine.
I agree on the 1000 rotax...or maybe the 1200!! That'd be great.

This is just a personal opinion, but if you don't want to spend top dollar for a CanAm, I would suggest getting the Polaris...because you won't ride anything else once you get an Outy! I wouldn't mind trying out a Polaris, but it's too late for me now...I'm addicted to my Outy!!

Also, there was a comment about brp warranty work...I haven't had to pay a dime for any warranty work yet. Lucky I guess. They even replaced my brake pads for free!

Anyway, good luck..and let us know what you decide..

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the big horn tires? They seem to be really good in the winter. Last spring Hadster was the only one to drive up an icy hill after seven quads winched up before him.

funny you mentioned big horn tires.. We were in nordegg may long and decided to ride up mount baldy to the tower. There was tons of snow up tpo and for the last 4 km no else could make it not even in my tracks they were still not able to go the big horns are awesome in snow mud rocks

Andrew

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

no he is not talking about big horns. xp's don't come stock with them.

Apextenn

Reaction score
Was thinking seeing that no one has really said that polaris was any better then the outty or more powerful was just thinking fixing the 06 up and putting a turbo in it. I guess if bombardier wont make a 1000 just have to go to the aftermarkt i was really hopping that the xp polaris was more powerful but from what i have read it isnt. Not sure what kit is the best for the outty but i imagine running around 6 psi of boost would be allot on a quad as i would imagine that would put it up to 100 hp and not sure if the driveline could take much more power then that. Anyhow thanks for all the info guys i was really hopping the new polaris would be that much more powerful but stick with the outty with a turbo.

jessie

Reaction score
I have the polaris 550xp got 600 miles so far awsome bike my brother in law has the 850 polaris xp its even better,he has 500 miles neither one of us has touched our bikes also have a 08 polaris 500 the xp is alot nicer to drive and better power way less body roll compaired to the 08 500. Hope this helps

Top Bottom