2010 M8 engine issues

03escape800

Reaction score
My 2010 M8 always seemed to load up with fuel when idling down the hills. It would always clear out by hitting the throttle wide open. Today it seemed to load up when I slowed down on an open field but would not clear out. I changed plugs but didn't help. It is on the PTO side as the Y pipe is wet on that side. I changed out the coil but no change. Spark is on all 4 plugs. Compression is 130 psi. Don't know where to look next. Sled runs but seems to be loaded up and will not peak out or clear up and sounds like 1 cylinder bad but no signs of that being the problem. Any suggestions where to look next would be great.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your reeds. The odd 2010 to 2011 motors had a bad set set. ( pedals would shatter or come off the glue) a blown set will make it sound like a 1 cylinder.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing I have talked with a few people about this and I guess this is just one of the funny things that cats do but if you do solve it I would like to know how !!! I just always work the throttle when coming down !

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check reeds. Good chance the corners of the pedals are starting to chip away off your reeds. My '11 M8 had the same symptoms and it just kept on getting worse. Took it in for regular maintenance and when they pulled the reeds they were pooched. Ended up upgrading to Boyesen reeds and the sled has ran perfect since.

03escape800

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I pulled the reeds and 1 petal was gone and one other was chipped in the corner. Figured it had to be either the exhaust valve or the reeds as compression was good, spark was there and fuel was present.
Any suggestions now on what make of reeds to purchase or just go back stock?

03escape800

Reaction score
When I get the new reeds in I'll let you know if it cleared up my problem when coming down the mountain and having it load up.

03escape800

Reaction score
image.jpg This is what the reeds looked like.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look into a set of v force or boysen reeds. The factory ones have been having issues like this, so I'm not certain if the oem replacements will suffer the same fate for you later on.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could go back to stock and save some money but the same thing will eventually happen some time down the road. The VForce and Boyesen reeds have pedals that are made of stronger material so obviously they will last much longer. If your sled is still under warranty the reeds will be cover and I'm sure your dealer will ask if you want to upgrade at the time. What I did was just pay for the cost of the Boyesen reeds, had the dealer install them and then got to keep the new stock set of reeds they ordered under warranty.

Top Bottom