2010 M8- 8460 Max RPM??

Jordo22

Reaction score
So I checked the max rpm after my last ride and it said 8460 on the gauge. While riding I've never seen it go over 8200 though. I mainly ride between 5500-8500 feet in elevation and my clutch weights are spec for the elevation according the diagram under the hood. The only change that I made right from when I bought it was the primary spring. I put a titanium spring in it because of the issues with the factory one so I never actually rode with the factory spring to compare. Only other mod is an mbrp can. The clutch also engages at 4300 which seems high.

Questions (162 SnoPro):

-What's the max rpm for the 2010 800 motor (sled's at my shop so maybe it says under the hood but I'm not sure)?
-Is it possible that the max rpm thing on the gauge isn't accurate (I've never noticed it cut out from the rev limiter)?...do they have a rev limiter?
-Not exactly sure what the dealer sold me as far as brand for this spring. I hear lots about spring color but the titanium one is just grey.

I'm fairly new to this so any help would be great. Hopefully these are dumb-ass questions:ponder

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your misunderstanding your gauge. Unless it different than our 2010, that 8400 your seeing should be your max altitude you have riden to, not RPM

Jordo22

Reaction score
Oh seriously....I thought I read in my manual that when rpm is selected and you hold the top button it tells you the max rpm. My bad, I'll have a closer look at my manual. Thanks a lot.

DragonSmoke

Reaction score
It is possible that you did see 8460 as your Max RPM. If you hit a slight woop in the trail or catch a bit of air your RPM's are going to shoot up a bit, thus causing your max RPM to sit higher than what you actually see on a normal run. Your sled should be hitting around 8100-8300 RPM. I have a D&D orange spring in my sled that replaced the stock black and mine seems to engage around 4400-4600 as well. Your titanium spring, though I'm not too familiar with them, should have a spring rate either stamped on it or came with the numbers. The stock one should have been replaced with one that is close to the same numbers.

And if im not mistaken your sled should tell you Max Altitude and Max RPM. Mine does anyway.....

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are checking your max rpm correctly. You mentioned you checked you max rpm 'after' your ride. I find altitude greatly affects rpm (obviously). Your sled is set up to run between 8100rpm and 8300rpm up high, but if you push your sled on the way up from the truck or on the way down (possibly much lower than 5500 feet, maybe even 2500 feet?) you will run way over 8300.

I always take it easy on the go go flipper until I get up high.

Last edited:

Jordo22

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone. I feel more comfortable with things after reading the replies. That's why I love this site.:beer:

Top Bottom