2010 Arctic Cat M8 won't start cold

Darrel

Reaction score
Hope someone can help! I have a 2010 M8 that will only start by pouring fuel down the cylinder. Once it has started once it will start all day.
I checked the fuel pump - 42psi. Injectors are clicking with power applied and power is going to them. I have new plugs with good spark on all 4. My compression tester I believe is off but was reading 107 on both. I have a newer voltage regulator and am in the process of checking the reeds.
When I get it started it has enough power to pull the skis off the ground but it boggs out consistently like it is starving for fuel.

Any suggestions will help.

Reeds are good.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope someone can help! I have a 2010 M8 that will only start by pouring fuel down the cylinder. Once it has started once it will start all day.
I checked the fuel pump - 42psi. Injectors are clicking with power applied and power is going to them. I have new plugs with good spark on all 4. My compression tester I believe is off but was reading 107 on both. I have a newer voltage regulator and am in the process of checking the reeds.
When I get it started it has enough power to pull the skis off the ground but it boggs out consistently like it is starving for fuel.

Any suggestions will help.

Reeds are good.

Check fuel pick up in tank, make sure its not plugged. Reeds shouldn't cause the issue, if anything they should be overfueling it if they were pooched. You've got a lack of fuel I would say, fuel pump is starting to go, tank venting, pinched fuel line, plugged fuel filter, something is causing it to choke out.

mustard73

Reaction score
A friend had the same symptoms before his fuel pump finally quit. It would run fine then die on the trail and we would have to dump a cap full of fuel in each cylinder then it would go for a little while again.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
107 seems pretty low on compression? Isn't it 140 when new?

He indicated his compression tester may be off a little, seen one tester read 130 and 1 at 110, all are slightly different, no idea if it was cold or hot test. both cylinders were 107 and that's more important. Shouldn't be more than 10% difference between the cylinders.

If it was compression related, typically you see it show up as very hard starting when its hot, which he indicates isn't an issue, only cold starts.

Darrel

Reaction score
I just got back from talking with a mechanic at the dealer and he told me to clean out my injectors. apparently he has had the exact same issues with new cats if they sit for a long time. this will be my next step. i'll keep everyone posted on what i find. if this doesn't fix the problem i'll be going into the tank.

Darrel

Reaction score
It looks like the Injectors. I took the fuel rail off and held the Injectors in place while my wife pulled over the sled. After three pulse I only got one decent spray from one injector. Rechecked the electrical going to the Injectors and all is good.
I'm going to leave the Injectors soak over night and try them again in the morning

Darrel

Reaction score
So I soaked the Injectors overnight and I tried it this morning. Still no go.

Darrel

Reaction score
So here is what I found. I have a square ecu with circle Injectors p/n 1001-87650.
I believe that those Injectors are off of an 09. They are low impedance reading 0.3 ohms.
Could this be what's causing my problem?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is what I found. I have a square ecu with circle Injectors p/n 1001-87650.
I believe that those Injectors are off of an 09. They are low impedance reading 0.3 ohms.
Could this be what's causing my problem?

Did you recently buy this sled? Or have you owned it for a while and it ran with those injectors?

Reaction score
Is your choke defiantly working often the little plunger underneath the dash can become brittle in the cold, therefor allowing it to snap, had this problem the other day pull your choke out of the dash remove the switch from the choke cable and just have someone manully pull the cable while you attempt to start.

Darrel

Reaction score
It was a buy to fix and sell.
I just ordered a set of used Injectors for $200.
My understanding is they work fine with the engine running due to the constant voltage but they don't get the right voltage during start up.
Either way I just sold it.
Traded for cash and an 06 summit 800.
I will post if the Injectors fix the starting as I will be installing them for the guy.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a buy to fix and sell.
I just ordered a set of used Injectors for $200.
My understanding is they work fine with the engine running due to the constant voltage but they don't get the right voltage during start up.
Either way I just sold it.
Traded for cash and an 06 summit 800.
I will post if the Injectors fix the starting as I will be installing them for the guy.

Yea, I was wondering. Sounds like someone sold you a "fixer", without telling you that they just plugged in a new ECU or injectors, and that it wasn't the right one(s). Hope that the new injectors fix the problem, keep us posted.

Todd Lawton

Reaction score
Had the exact same trouble with my 2010 m1000, it gradually got harder to start and would only start if I put some fuel down down the cylinder, then wouln't start at all. I changed out the stator, and it still wouldn't start, I checked every component I could with a meter, and had power everywhere but to the plugs. I then changed out the harness and it still would not start. I figured it may be the ECU and took it into my dealer. They diagnosed the ECU right away, they said they could get it to fire by tapping on it when pulling it over. They changed it out and it starts and runs like a new sled.

Top Bottom