2009 Rusty Bumper

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing alot of rust spots on there 2009-2010 Dodge bumpers?

Mine is making a $50,000 truck look like crap. Dodge says its surface rust caused by a lack of maintenance. What a bunch of bullShite. Chrome doesnt rust. This is the first time I have ever had a rusty bumper and how come no other brands are rusting? Love the truck but if they dont fix this it will be the last Dodge I buy.

Has anyone found a dealership that will replace them on waranty?

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its crome plated thats why its rusting and they probably didn't apply it properly.
I would make dodge give you a new one.
I have one of those Aries bull bars and it started to rust at the welds, and it SS,
they are sending me a new one.

trailrider

Reaction score
I have an 08 that started to rust within 3mon. I took it back to Greatwest and they gave me the same runaround . Then the next day they called to say they had my new bumper in and when would I like it installed??? So I got it installed and went staight home and took it off and installed a HERD bushgaurd. So if you want one and they will not warrenty it I have a brand new one complete with fog lights and tow hooks. Trailrider

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's never changed, mine's an '06 and is rusty. It's a cost cutting measure to do things cheaply, and they can just say it's from rock chips or lack of washing because of harsh winters.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's been a problem of dodges for some time. The last 2 winters my 04 painted bumper has gotten really bad. And it's very easy to tell it's happening from the inside out :mad: It's not from lack of care, it's because something was made wrong. I would really push to get it replaced! I wash my truck weekly and the rear bumper really is starting to get bad, I am pissed going to have to go aftermarket.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new chrome is nothing like the old. Once spring comes, I give all the chrome onmy 97 gmc a good polish and it's good for a while. My father tried the same on his 09 ford and there is rust starting all overthe front bumper, but not on the westin bullbar, the chrome on the mudflaps went to crap and the plastic chrome door handed are hideous lol

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. '08 GMC with rust all over the front bumper. I had the same problem with an '06 Dodge. Really rots me to pay so much for a new truck and have parts rusting out with 25,000 km on it

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing alot of rust spots on there 2009-2010 Dodge bumpers?

Mine is making a $50,000 truck look like crap. Dodge says its surface rust caused by a lack of maintenance. What a bunch of bullShite. Chrome doesnt rust. This is the first time I have ever had a rusty bumper and how come no other brands are rusting? Love the truck but if they dont fix this it will be the last Dodge I buy.

Has anyone found a dealership that will replace them on waranty?

Had the same problem last year on my 07, little rock chips started to rust. Its not poor application, it is the little pits and rock chips from damage, but as stated, the chrome is waaaayyyy thinner than years gone by so it starts far sooner. If this was 15 yrs ago, that bumper wouldn't start rusting until 2019.

I'm getting my new truck coated with the plastic film to prevent this. $700 now or a lot more later. Dodge should replace your bumper under warranty, especially at the price they are charging for these trucks nowadays, but they'll probably skirt the issue somehow. IMO you can have it re-coated and then have the film applied, you will be good forever.

Let us know how they respond.

Top Bottom