2009 M8 153 mileage??

Iamcatman

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a 2009 M8 153, with just over 9000 km on it, never tore into the motor. At 3000 km I put on full slp pipe kit, and sno pro intake, but the rest is completely stock. I havent even checked the reeds, the biggest thing that I have done is clean the power valves, and ride the sh1t out of it. change DD oil every season, and plugs, once a year. two sets of sliders, rear axle, 6 a-arms, new front shocks. (a-arms and shocks, and rear axle, all broken from damage) My question is.... how many KM do you have on your M8? I am looking to push 10,000 KM this season on all stock motor, never been taken apart. I still have warranty till end of season, so I will rebuild when warranty runs out. Interested to see how many people have lots of KM on their "M"

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that has been a good sled for! Those are great engines!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Iamcatman

Reaction score
9350 km now, with two mountain trips left this season. replaced bearings on rear skid, and a rebuild coming in the fall. I am going to have to keep going on this sled for another couple years at least, and then upgrade. There should be some pretty awesome setups by then, and I am hoping by then to have minimun 15000 km by that time. I will keep up the posting to keep you guys informed.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Put a top end in it this summer and ride it for another 9000km. It's a ticking time bomb right now. Get it before it comes apart or it'll get expensive. Those Suzuki engines are great, but you're kind of pushing it.

bcsnowdog

Reaction score
my 09 m8 has 8500 kms slp pipe since new same primary no major issues still rips put pistons in at 6000 but the old ones looked great more worried about my 13 pro engine.my first cat 05 m7 still running over 12000 kms original engine.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 09 m8 has 8500 kms slp pipe since new same primary no major issues still rips put pistons in at 6000 but the old ones looked great more worried about my 13 pro engine.my first cat 05 m7 still running over 12000 kms original engine.

Yes, but it doesn't matter what they look like. It matters what they measure across the lower skirt. Eventually they all start to collapse. Once they break you'll be looking at a lot more damage. That's why we replace them before they get to that point.

Iamcatman

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Put a top end in it this summer and ride it for another 9000km. It's a ticking time bomb right now. Get it before it comes apart or it'll get expensive. Those Suzuki engines are great, but you're kind of pushing it.

The only reason I havent rebuilt it yet is that it is still on warranty. The warranty is up at the end of summer, so if she doesnt pop before end of season, I will rebuild it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason I havent rebuilt it yet is that it is still on warranty. The warranty is up at the end of summer, so if she doesnt pop before end of season, I will rebuild it.

You have an '09 that's still on warranty? Wow! Good on ya! :D

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a 2011 m8 with close to 3000 miles. Bought it new. Blew the primary apart at about 2600 miles, cat warrantied it, put a bdx cold air on it last year and a full slp kit this year, had some minor issues like exhaust sensor, oil tank, hand and thumb warmers but overall its been good, never blew a belt yet, change plugs every season or two, DD oil every year, riding it again next year should have close to 4500 miles on it by then

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

Iamcatman

Reaction score
You have an '09 that's still on warranty? Wow! Good on ya! :D

Yeah I bought it out of crate new in 2010. The 2011's were out by then, but I wanted a twin for my other M8. I bought the 4 year extended warranty, and glad I did. have had a few parts warrantied, that cost more than the warranty did... lol

Iamcatman

Reaction score
I now have over 13,000 kms on my 09 M8. still havent touched motor, and now have the full rebuild kit wating for install in the spring. I think I can get another season out of it, but dont wanna cause other engine damage when she craters, or a skirt breaks off. scoped the cylinders at the start of the season, and still look new. rings are still not sharp. still not been apart.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I now have over 13,000 kms on my 09 M8. still havent touched motor, and now have the full rebuild kit wating for install in the spring. I think I can get another season out of it, but dont wanna cause other engine damage when she craters, or a skirt breaks off. scoped the cylinders at the start of the season, and still look new. rings are still not sharp. still not been apart.

I love those Suzuki 800's, but.....tic toc!

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The laydown design engines are as close to bulletproff as it gets but every piston only has so many up and downs in it. I have heard not seen 15000 k before with no issues. Did you consider the HO piston? I read on the BDX site its a good upgrade for the 07-09. Just a thought dont know if your fuel requirement changes but it might be worth a call to BDX????

Iamcatman

Reaction score
The laydown design engines are as close to bulletproff as it gets but every piston only has so many up and downs in it. I have heard not seen 15000 k before with no issues. Did you consider the HO piston? I read on the BDX site its a good upgrade for the 07-09. Just a thought dont know if your fuel requirement changes but it might be worth a call to BDX????
I have a new wiseco top end sitting in my shop waiting to go in. I know its a ticking time bomb right now but would rather ride, and not wrench. I'm hoping it last to end of season, and rebuild right before next season. still runs like a watch, and so i hope it lasts till end of the snow.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 M8 with around 3000 miles on it. Other than a slp hiflow intake and a little airbox cheat she is bone stock. Only run Amsoil oil and premium fuel. Change DD oil every season .Gonna do bearing upgrade this spring. It won't run with the newest stuff out there but it is still a way more capable sled than I am a rider so I am gonna run er for the foreseeable future. I still love my M.

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8500km on my 2010m8 and still haven't had the head off. Thing starts second pull everytime. Never had any issues with the motor. Done a couple clutches, but motor is right. We're pushing the limits big time. But seeing some of these numbers I'd like to think we're safe for one more year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom