2009 M1000 6500 rpm blubber ?

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Mine did exactly the same thing the first ride out with it, and it was bone stock, not a thing changed. I put on about 30 miles that day, and decided that if it's gonna blow up, so be it, it has warranty. It quit doing it by the end of the day, and has never done it since. I talked to a couple guys about this last year, and they said that they sent the ECU back to Arctic Cat, and they reflashed them at the factory. I was told that they couldn't do that at the dealership. I talked to the mechanic up at T&T in Bonnyville, and that's what he said had worked for a couple other customers. Since then mine hasn't done it again. Give him a call, see what he has to say.:d

mason1000

Reaction score
Well I just called t and t and they told me that they have heard of this but the last seven out of ten was caused by bad fuel and to run some gas line antifreeze and cat injector cleaner through it and of that doesent fix it then to just bring it in so they can trouble shoot it

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been riding of the last few days great local snow , i have been on the gas hard and have not had a hick-up . So im going to keep riding it like a 2 stroke should be riden BARD, but will be contacting my dealer on monday to see if they have any ideas . its still concerning since we all seen to have the same problem though and no answers as of yet .

cedarsavage_2000

Reaction score
Let me enter into this topic. I have an 09 Crossfire 1000 with a Straighline Y-pipe, V-force reeds, and Skinz SuperQ can. I tried an UltraQ first and had a horrbile bog at low end and it fell on its face at 70mph, plugs turned white. With the SuperQ and other stuff stated I have that stumble/bog/falter at 6000-6500ish. Im at about 1500' elevation or around 4000m using a PCV with Autotune. I can not tune it out! When the fuel map is close and I mean REALLY close it still does its bog stumble; and using 12.8, 13.2 and 13.4 (tried them all and in different combos) as AFR's for Autotune in the 40%-100% throttle opening ragne it (autotune) will give me different trim levels (fuel) for each cell in the 40-60% range. But not in the 80-100% range, these values stay constant each time! So obviously in my case autotune likes the numbers I set for 80-100%, but not for 40-60%. Plugs look good, tan, at all throttle opeings. So then I manually tried to adjust the fuel map in the 5750-6500 range at 40-60% trottle opening and all I ended up with was frustration. 91 octane or 87 octane didn't make the least bit of a difference either.

Something in the makeup of this engine I believe is causing this. Either a backpressure exhaust issue or a fuel/ecu issue. Anyone who would like to preview my PCV maps are more than welcome to them I would email them promptly. Sometimes seeing other numbers can validate your work or put you in a different path to success.

I have not tried the stock can, but I know of one guy, with an 08 M100 with a SuperQ can, with 08 ecu mapping, that has 100% runability. No one else I know has a 1000 with an aftermarket can that runs right. So enjoy the info and the summer now!! -Mike.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check and clean power valves. Make sure the cables are not broken. Check the tube off the ECU try and tuck in beside the air box, so it draws cold air and doesn,t get plugged. Check that the oil pump is returning to off position. They are known to stick, as they have a spring return. Check plug boots , my pipe has rubbed on one on occasion. Secondary spring,s are known to break also. Also check the air box for snow , ice or water.
ANytime i had mine do that it was one of the above. Worst was a broken APV cable. WOuld run fine to 6000 and less than full throttle. At WOT it would slow down like it was drowning in fuel.
These are all i know that can cause this. Mine has done it but is fine now. They are happier at alt too, tend to run a little rich at low elevations.
I have a 08 M 1000 with 09 mapping D@D Y pipe SLP can and Boyesen Rage Cages. There is a chance the reeds are getting soft too but unlikely. Mine seems to run better since i changed them. 600 miles on it then 800 now.
PS: make sure the exhaust sensor wire is tie wrapped back to the sensor, so the wires don,t shake themselves to death.

Last edited:

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 07 worked fine 3 out of five trips. On the other two seemed to "fix itself" after spinning track on its side a few times(wto) and cool off. I think the plug fouling is a result of srewed up oil/gas amount for some reason, and not the problem itself. Let me know if you figure out if anybody gets a confirmed fix. Mine's stock with a can.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
Yep, mine does the exact same damn thing, and it is driving me mad. Everyone has all these great ideas, that I keep trying, and fixes nothing. I know for a fact that the mbrp can is the worst thing you can run on the M1000. I swapped cans with a guy on the hill one day, night and day difference between mbrp and jaws. Glen will tell you the same thing, only I know for a fact, as I have tried and tested this. It was a long time ago that I did this, and for some reason, I still have not bought a jaws can. I am going to this year as a last ditch effort to solve this problem, after than, match + gas = insurance $$$$. Watch now that I say that it will actually accidently happen..... and I'll be screwed due to this post. If anyone finds the solution to great sled that runs like crap at and around that 6000 mark, please please tell us your secret.

1badhusky

Reaction score
I have the superQ can, y-pipe, intake, pcv, racin station tune and mine runs pretty damn well.

Every once in a while it'll get a stutter around 6500, like it's loading up w/ fuel, but it only lasts for a second - let off the gas, hammer it and away I go wherever the bitch is pointed. :)

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have all of you checked your grounds aswell as fuel pressure???

Giv'er

Reaction score
If you don't have any mods, run 87 octane.

If you have mods, get a boondocker and A/F O2 sensor combo and you'll clean it up.

All the way around, I think higher comp heads is the answer but this horse has been beaten before....drop the octane or the fuel supply and she'll pur like the kitty she is.

by the way my 1000 D&D pipe set up with bondocker, A/F, beer, tools, pack, and 250 lbs of experience just rode last week with a 140lber on a 09 doo and we were climbing EXACTLY the same in fresh .....very happy!

Giver

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll try 87 fuel and see if it goes away. More money for Pops afterwards too.

My issues havn't ruined a day out(yet).

Shaner

Reaction score
I have the full Speedwerx set up and after extensive research on here and Snowest I found that the MBRP can will make the bog worse. I run a tunnel dump Speedwerx can now and love it no bog. I run at 13.5 - 14 at Home on my O2 sensor and a solid 12.5 in the mountains with a boondocker controller ( a lot of testing to get the numbers right) At the 5000 - 6500 rpm range I run -3 to - 6 numbers at home ant she pulls hard with good wash and plug colour. My latest problem for bog is the PTO side front plug wire keeps popping off but I can tell right away so I will change that out. Make sure you check that your plug wires are not rubbing I found that on the first ride. Well good luck and play hard !

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just had mine in at the dealer and they found my power valve cable frayed on the PTO side which was sticking and sending signals to my servo not allowing my valves to open all the way, anybody else with the blubber might want check this out .

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 M1000 with SLP single, reeds, and a head. I had the bog (even with 08 and 09 flashes). Fuel pressure good, grounds good, etc. I felt the culprit is in the APV system, so I installed STM exhaust valves (they are a bellows type like the old doo's), and my problem has been solved. No more bog. I was happy enough with them that I installed a set on the wife's M8, too. They are spendy, but you will never break or stretch a cable, the powerband is more linear, and you have an idiot proof system on your sled that weighs less then factory equipment. I won't own an M sled without them now.

sledneckx69

Reaction score
I have an 07 M1000 with SLP single, reeds, and a head. I had the bog (even with 08 and 09 flashes). Fuel pressure good, grounds good, etc. I felt the culprit is in the APV system, so I installed STM exhaust valves (they are a bellows type like the old doo's), and my problem has been solved. No more bog. I was happy enough with them that I installed a set on the wife's M8, too. They are spendy, but you will never break or stretch a cable, the powerband is more linear, and you have an idiot proof system on your sled that weighs less then factory equipment. I won't own an M sled without them now.

Where did you get them, how muches, whats the install like. All that good stuff???

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you get them, how muches, whats the install like. All that good stuff???
Ordered them through 2kool performance (in Ontario) They are an online mail order house, very good to deal with. Cost varies with exchange rate, but around $500. Easy to install, less then 40 min.

Biggie

Reaction score
I,ve got a 08 1000. It would cough and sputter at around 6500rpm also. At sea level, it would puke out unburnt fuel,belt would squeel. Not trying to re,engineer any thing. I run the M8 belt, took the small shim out of the driven clutch, and had the dealer update the "mapping". Runs awsome in revey! No mods,just a can.

Madhatter M1

Reaction score
Ive Been dealing with this issue for a while and same symptoms would sputter at 6500 from Idle to WOT, mine would also idle surge. it always seamed like it was loading up with fuel, then i got EGT sensor for both cylinders and found one was always hotter added some fuel to the one and leaned out the other a little to try and even out the cylinders, and now it seams to Idle like a dream no surging. that also cleaned up that sputter at 6500, Oh and it was running hot on the one cylinder even in the midrange. Still have to do some more tuning, Hope this helps a little bit

togo ripper

Reaction score
I have an 09 with the exact same problem runs excellent once the valves open but if on and off the throttle in the trees or across fields half throttle it hesitates and won't build rpm until I let off and stab It again then it takes off like a rocket just wondering if anybody's ever tried clutching to try cure this problem

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Torsional clutch is the way to go but won't solve the bog, the only thing I found to help is to add flowrites in the air box, bigger air horn, drill holes in the upper section of the stock intake and cover with frog skins . Make sure power valve cables are adjusted correctly and valves are cleaned regularly. The bog was not completely gone the only way it wouldn't show up is to learn to ride on the pipe, oh and don't use premium fuel !

Top Bottom