2009 M1000 6500 rpm blubber ?

RideHigher

Reaction score
Just recently my 2009 m1000 has developed a mean mid rang blubber ... right around 6500 rpm I know this is about where the power valves open and have been told its just the stock mapping. Runs great up till there and then clean at WOT. Shes completely stock except for a mbrp can. Anybody having the same issues or know of a re flash for the 2009s.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 09 does the same at around 6500 as well. I just took it in to T&T for its first service so I will see if they cleaned power valves or anything and see if that helped. I heard the cables or something stretch on them and they don't work properly but I'm not sure this sled stuff is all new to me.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine feels like a dead cylinder or plug around that RPM if i have been putting around or not riding it hard , but if ive been wide open or riding the ch!t out it doesnt do it .

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went for a cruise today to pound some fresh snow we just recieved. Noticed the same or similar thing. Would cruise around carving snow at half throttle and 6200-6500 rpm then punch it or even just try to give it a bit more ... and it would just bog and stay around 6500 rpm .... let off the flipper and slam it again, away she goes. Very annoying. I checked and adjusted my belt deflection, tightened it up a bit so it just squeaks a bit at idle. Also check power valve cable length and it was spot on 35mm. Power valves moved freely when pulling on cables. Put stock can back on. Still no improvement. Haven`t pulled plugs yet, but don`t believe thats the problem. I have 08 m1000 with 09 flash update. It definetly seems like a fuel or spark issue. Any insight from others would be appreciated ... I`m still fairly new to this sled.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have to follow this thread too as my 2009 M8 did the exact same thing all weekend, and weekend before at McBride. Checked the same things as you, as well as that clear tube on the ECU everyone talks about and the throttle switch, but they were fine.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went for a cruise today to pound some fresh snow we just recieved. Noticed the same or similar thing. Would cruise around carving snow at half throttle and 6200-6500 rpm then punch it or even just try to give it a bit more ... and it would just bog and stay around 6500 rpm .... let off the flipper and slam it again, away she goes. Very annoying. I checked and adjusted my belt deflection, tightened it up a bit so it just squeaks a bit at idle. Also check power valve cable length and it was spot on 35mm. Power valves moved freely when pulling on cables. Put stock can back on. Still no improvement. Haven`t pulled plugs yet, but don`t believe thats the problem. I have 08 m1000 with 09 flash update. It definetly seems like a fuel or spark issue. Any insight from others would be appreciated ... I`m still fairly new to this sled.

WTF??? My story is just about a mirror inage of yours this weekend. Could there be a M1000 epedemic? I am thinking it's plugs myself. I wasn't plugging up with snow either??

M1000CAT

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem swith the same bog. I know for a fact that it is the stupid update I hot done in 2009 to my ECM. Going to install a turbo and hope that helps.

Josh

Reaction score
Had this to a less extent from first ride with my 08 with 09 update. After riding the other day I noticed it was much worse this year.... Hoping it was only cause of being at low altitude. Any one know if there were more recent updates by cat done yet?

1badhusky

Reaction score
just looked at the map I'm running from racin station - he's taking out 20-50% fuel from 6200-7000 rpm at 40, 60, and 80% throttle.

Mine gets a very, very slight bog around 6500 if I let off full throttle going up a hill, but nothing too serious.

So if I'm running a little bog at 20-50% less fuel than you guys, that suggests the stock 09 tune is very rich at those rpms.

My tune was for an intake, y-pipe and can on an 09.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the mapping on mine is not the issue as it ran fin for 2600 km and just last week started doing this. I also have the 08 mapping in mine not the 09. Must be something else. I am hoping to get it in the shop today and checking out the plugs etc.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don`t suspect mapping on mine either. I don`t have a ton of miles on it, but I can`t see myself not noticing this before. Its had the update ever since I had the machine. I checked my primary last night hoping to find a sticky weight. Nothing, everything is mint. Secondary looks OK. Changed plugs, they were a little ugly and and maybe part of the problem. There was a bunch of buildup on them, real crusty looking stuff. Too cold to ride and varify if this is the culpret. I did also notice some external wear on a plug wire, I could not see the wires so I just tuned it up with some electrical tape. Does anyone know if you can buy the plug wires only? Looks like on Arctic Cat sites they look like they come with the coils.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my riding experience, I can pretty much bet on it being either too rich in fuel, or rich in oil... And your observations of the plugs seem to confirm that.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a boondocker and got rid of the missing at 6500. Its lean. My numbers at 6500 are 7 , 3 , 3. Cleared it up.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pterry green at readin piston wash, but doesn't appear to be rocket science so I gave it a try and borrowed a buddies scope and checked the piston wash. PTO wasn`t too bad maybe a bit on the rich side but nothing to get stressed about. It was washed a little more than finger width all the way around. Mag side was washed all the way to center of piston in a V pattern and remaining parimeter was washed about a thumbs width. The very center was washed with a small ring a mimimeter wide , may diameter of dime (hard to tell with scope exactly what size) that was not. So I guess that tells me this side is way too rich or I have/had spark issue. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know how long it take for piston wash to show itself after fuel changes?

1badhusky

Reaction score
I have a boondocker and got rid of the missing at 6500. Its lean. My numbers at 6500 are 7 , 3 , 3. Cleared it up.

WTF...I'm -2 to -5 there. What mods are you running? How can these maps be so different and still be accurate? Is it b/c of the difference in injectors? I've heard some have more pressure than others. Or is it that they aren't accurate?

Starting to think I should get the auto tune and a A/F guage or something.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF...I'm -2 to -5 there. What mods are you running? How can these maps be so different and still be accurate? Is it b/c of the difference in injectors? I've heard some have more pressure than others. Or is it that they aren't accurate?

Starting to think I should get the auto tune and a A/F guage or something.

Could be the pressures. My buddys sled runs lower numbers and his runs great. we are running pipe kits. no two sleds are the same thats for sure. I set mine with my EGT`s. I run the sled at each rpm on the digitron and set till the egt`s dont go past 1200 degrees. Anyone can ride my sled and hold at any rpm and the temps never go over. Sled does not gurgle or cut out anytime.

Last edited:

1badhusky

Reaction score
Could be the pressures. My buddys sled runs lower numbers and his runs great. we are running pipe kits. no two sleds are the same thats for sure. I set mine with my EGT`s. I run the sled at each rpm on the digitron and set till the egt`s dont go past 1200 degrees. Anyone can ride my sled and hold at any rpm and the temps never go over. Sled does not gurgle or cut out anytime.

Yeah, I just got a map from Racin' Station - so no clue if I'm running super lean or not - don't seem to be running rich - plugs didn't look bad, but i'm an amateur plug checker.

I should at least get an EGT. What are you using/happy w/ it?

mason1000

Reaction score
I just came back from a quick ride on my new 09 m1000's I have two one has 169 miles and the other has 134 both have mbrp cans and that's all that has been done. Both sleds are doing the same thing described in the post the one with more miles has it worse i can barely get it to rev over 6400. But the other is very intermittent. Last ride only the sled with more miles on it did this blubber twice but was fine after. I hope somebody on here can figure out this problem because I feel like driving them thru the dealers showroom and leaving them. Damn near $25,000 dollars for 2 pieces of crap. Oh and I have also changed the plugs but they looked fine?

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took mine apart yesterday and I found the plugs to be good. I changed them anyways. What i did find was my plug wires to have wear marks on them. One in particular was going to ground. This would defiantly explain the problem I was having in mine.

Top Bottom