2009 Grizzly 700 vs. 2010 Sportsman 850xp

evenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here and looking for a little advice. I'm looking to buy a bike finally and have come down to these choices, both are new but there is a pretty big price difference. The Grizzly is 9999.99 stock and blue, and the sportsman is 8999.99 stealth black ( which looks way better ). I'm just trying to decide which one is the best for the price? Thanks in advance!

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new left over grizzlys are cheaper than that from T@T powersports.Reliability wise no comparison between the grizzly and the popo.If you buy the popo make sure you are in good with the dealer service dept.The grizz you can buy from anyone as it will likely never be back in the shop.Grizzly weighs 600lbs the popo much more.Ride them both and decide

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Xp's deffinately made a comeback for Polaris. Honestly, get the Polaris. The twin cyl blows the grizz out of the water (I dragged a 700 with an HMF pipe vs my stock XP, and my XP walked all over it) Not to mention the 800lbs isn't noticable. Its the best handling 4X4 I've ever ridden.

My XP did very good in a whooped out trail WTO against a grizz in the corners.

The only thing that will take the XP in a line is an 800R

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a huge favour and call Terry at T&T and get the Griz then ride worry free. I own a Polaris Ranger and a Victory Jackpot (Polaris street bike) and they are both great, but the Grizzly is the best quad all around in my opinion.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new left over grizzlys are cheaper than that from T@T powersports.Reliability wise no comparison between the grizzly and the popo.If you buy the popo make sure you are in good with the dealer service dept.The grizz you can buy from anyone as it will likely never be back in the shop.Grizzly weighs 600lbs the popo much more.Ride them both and decide

2200 Hard km's on my 850 and its only ever been to the dealer for the 2 recalls they had on the 09, no worries with the 2010. The grisslys have lots of over heating problems to, never over heated the 850 yet. They only thing i like about the grissly is the dam things float pretty good. But when it comes to ride, handling and power the 850 is where its at. Plus with all the lock and ride goodies for the popo you get lots of storage, and I like the fact I can do a 100+km ride and not be sore and beet up at the end of the day.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, do yourself a favour and get the Polaris and never have to worry about power shortages that are common with single cyl ATV's.

Go to Jay at CycleWorks Edmonton and pick one up. Tell him Shaun sent you. :beer:

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
The only thing that will take the XP in a line is an 800R

Foolish thing to say. My buddies BF750 flat out destroyed the xp in a drag. But he will admit the xp was probably the nicest riding machine he's been on flying down whooped out trails.

One has to look at power to weight ratios. Given the xp is a twin with more ponies, it also weighs approx 200 lbs more than a grizz.

Myself I wouldn't buy a poopoo but that's cause I'm somewhat brand loyal to Yamaha.

Try to demo each machine if u can and form your own opinion. Chances of getting an honest opinion is slim compared to the biased opinions most people give. Good luck with whichever machine u choose.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Here's a vid of a grizz in action. It's s dirt wheels build feature bike, but the only mods done that I know are a stage 4 elka suspension and a cam.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isjp43YJ48Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

I would like to see an xp doing the same.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Foolish thing to say. My buddies BF750 flat out destroyed the xp in a drag. But he will admit the xp was probably the nicest riding machine he's been on flying down whooped out trails.

One has to look at power to weight ratios. Given the xp is a twin with more ponies, it also weighs approx 200 lbs more than a grizz.

Myself I wouldn't buy a poopoo but that's cause I'm somewhat brand loyal to Yamaha.

Try to demo each machine if u can and form your own opinion. Chances of getting an honest opinion is slim compared to the biased opinions most people give. Good luck with whichever machine u choose.

True, but you don't notice the weight of the XP as you ride it. And that being said, my stock XP bear my buddies modded bruteforce. Both with 28" tires, his with a Muzzy pipe too. XP was faster.

Power to weight, XP is second to the Outlander. Outty is on top of the HP/W ratio.

I got my XP cuz of the smooth ride, locking diff and 2nd best power.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I call bs i ride with two brutes every time i ride and one is piped and chit and neither will touch my xp, even with me and the old lady on mine they still can't keep up, I will admit off the line its close but top end i pull away every time. They also agree that mine rides better and I will agree that the brute is fun to ride cause it almost rides like a racer. The only thing i have lost to was a renegade with maxxis razors on it. Next race once the snow is gone i will have to tape cause every one says the brute is faster.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I call bs i ride with two brutes every time i ride and one is piped and chit and neither will touch my xp, even with me and the old lady on mine they still can't keep up, I will admit off the line its close but top end i pull away every time. They also agree that mine rides better and I will agree that the brute is fun to ride cause it almost rides like a racer. The only thing i have lost to was a renegade with maxxis razors on it. Next race once the snow is gone i will have to tape cause every one says the brute is faster.

Perhaps this spring we should all hook up and go for a rip. C who's machine is faster, handles better etc etc and have a few beers and laugh. Carvel isn't to far from barrhead. Just need to find time off to do some fixin and then ready to go.

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try out each machine and pick Witch one feels better to you. I was in the market last year for a new atv and I went with the grizzly. It was a brand new 09 so it was a little cheaper. My friend was in the market also and he went with the renegade that suited him better and my other friend went king quad. we all bought brand new last year. And to be honest none of us even considered Polaris after the problems my cousin and uncle are having with there's. They are going to be trading there's in on something else.

Sent from my pimpin iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this spring we should all hook up and go for a rip. C who's machine is faster, handles better etc etc and have a few beers and laugh. Carvel isn't to far from barrhead. Just need to find time off to do some fixin and then ready to go.

Well if your out in hells half acre let me know i live out there and know the trails like the back of my hand.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Grizzly.......................I have a 07 never let me down,,,

Cant compare a 686cc to a 850cc......

Never had a poo but,,,,,ask Hadster on here,,he had one,sold it a while ago.Had some issues with it..

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your absolutly right, one has a power shortage, and one has too much to do with.

If you want a grandpas quad, grizzly all the way. :p

If you want to be the cool kid on the block, XP.... Don't make me say I told u so.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Your absolutly right, one has a power shortage, and one has too much to do with.

If you want a grandpas quad, grizzly all the way. :p

If you want to be the cool kid on the block, XP.... Don't make me say I told u so.

I do agree Yamaha needs to step up and make the grizz a 900,,i have heard rumors but ,,i will believe it when i see it

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I do agree Yamaha needs to step up and make the grizz a 900,,i have heard rumors but ,,i will believe it when i see it

I was talking with some Yamaha reps a bit ago and it doesn't sound like one can expect anything bigger from Yamaha for a while. They do have the best selling utility quad in it's class for north America so why change it. Once sales start declining perhaps that will change.

Top Bottom