2009-Current Grizzly

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Looking for 2 quads to use for work. Scouting locations, visiting leases, pulling a tub trailer, etc.

Renting a Polaris now (not thrilled with it), test drove a couple Grizzlys and like them better. Looking at the 550. Any suggestions on the Grizz or any other quad that will stand up well for oilfied type work?

Thanks

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Here is typical conditions...

Right now we have a ton of pumps running trying to keep locations from flooding.

Attachments

• water pumping.jpg
    water pumping.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 190

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are only three quads I would recommend. Hondas with a standard trans or yamaha and suzuki with their belt drives. Much better suited to heavy and hauling work.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use 2 Honda 500s on our farm. Much of the same work and lots of mud and slop. Get a Honda with the selectable auto or electric shift. Reliable and good for hauling. Put some gator tires and a winch and you will be good to go

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
We use 2 Honda 500s on our farm. Much of the same work and lots of mud and slop. Get a Honda with the selectable auto or electric shift. Reliable and good for hauling. Put some gator tires and a winch and you will be good to go

Ya we always had hondas on the farm growing up, never seemed to have any issues that I can recall. Its been a long time since I have looked at a quad...I was completely unaware that most of them have a belt drive...really blew me away. So is Honda the only one that still has a 'real' transmission, or has Honda done something differnt as well?

For reference, my last unit was a 1985 Big Red trike lol...

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I double posted. I believe Honda is the only one with a "real transmission" don't know too much about them. The have the only sideways mounted engine. They are just our farm quads. They are still great relaible machines. Not the fastest but they are small and nimble. I have my 350 which is a beast in mud for a small quad

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes foremen 500 Canadian Trail edition is what we have. We took one up to the mountains because we were one short. Does decent up there to

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
So can anyone here explain to me the big price differnce between the Honda 500 Foreman and the Yamaha Grizz 500? Depending on the dealer, 2-3k differnce...how can that be?? Very confused...

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Suzuki used to offer a manual shift on their 500, but maybe not anymore I haven't looked at them in a while. The Yamaha kodiak 450 is another machine I would consider. Automatic with high/low range and true front diff lock unlike the Honda which only has limited slip, and power steering on the 2011 models (you think you don't need it until you ride with it, then you realize how terrible a non-eps quad handles and there's no going back). Happy hunting and either way you're on the right track...never buy a N.A. built machine for a work unit, unless of course your work is wrenching.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i have a 500 arctic cat that is a manual shift. we use it on the acreage. works really good for that kinda work.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your using it for work I would buy the Honda foreman 500 and put some tires on them. They are tough machines that always run. The grizzly is more cause its fuel injected and has power steering. You can also get power steering on the foremans and it is a nice option but I would think the fuel injection would be the biggest change in price.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
For 100% work only I would buy a Honda for recreation I would stay away from a Honda make sure it has manual trans for pulling around heavy loads it is easy on the bike with no belts to slip or worry about. just remeber after the nucular holucost all that will be left is cockroaches, twinkies and hondas

Last edited:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
For 100% work only I would but a Honda for recreation I would stay away from a Honda make sure it has manual trans for pulling around heavy loads it is easy on the bike with no belts to slip or worry about. just remeber after the nucular holucost all that will be left is cockroaches, twinkies and hondas

Silly question...(again because I dont know, quads are not my thing) but if the Honda is such a good work unit, why isnt it good for recreation? Back in the day we used the Big Reds for all the farm work, but then we raced the snot out of them all night and any other chance we could get...never had issues...

Yet when ever I see you quad guys out in the mountains or trails, I seldom see a Honda. Super confused...most say more reliable, priced less, good warranty, super history and background. Please fill me in...there is something I am missing...

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
680cc is the biggest displacement for a Honda quad. Kinda small potatoes with all the other choices out there. These machines definately have their place in the work force though. Just would be nice to see them step up to the plate. But I think their focus is elsewhere....http://hondajet.honda.com/default.aspx?bhcp=1

Last edited:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
680cc is the biggest displacement for a Honda quad. Kinda small potatoes with all the other choices out there.

True...but I remember back to when the Reds came out with the first 250cc we were wild...couldnt believe the 'big' power LOL

I guess things have changed a bit since 1985...

Top Bottom