2008 xp x summit 163 Darting and hard steering effort.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with the above sled complaining about the above symptoms on his sled. Darting I am told is an alignment issue. What is the correct way to align the skis and to what desired position? I know it is not parallel. What adjustments to the rear effect steering effort? He is a big man. Any help would be appreciated.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
The skis are slightly towed in but I would look at suspension. I know when I had my 08 I played with all the shocks and limiter strap until I was happy. It is a trial and error thing but you just have to play with it. If it's hard to steer for example there is too much downward pressure on the ski's. It does a good job in the owners manual explaining adjustments.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The skis are slightly towed in but I would look at suspension. I know when I had my 08 I played with all the shocks and limiter strap until I was happy. It is a trial and error thing but you just have to play with it. If it's hard to steer for example there is too much downward pressure on the ski's. It does a good job in the owners manual explaining adjustments.
I was told the skis have to be towed out correct?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's lots mark, u can buy the updated steering links to spindles...

Or tell him to buy a S36 kit and replace it all

Also updating the skid to a 10 and up

Also if he has pilot skis , switching side to side ( lh on rh side and so on) all helps

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 12' 154" I found that A: limiter strap played big into handling, tightener up and it will really help that darty all over the place feeling. B: a post forward kit from C3 was good money spent. It really helps getting the post inline with the riser.
Not sure how much applies to an 08' but I would think it is fairly similar. The more outta line the riser and post are ( ie: the more vertical the riser is) the harder they are to steer

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take some ski pressure off by changing the limiter to one out from stock and have the front skid shock ~ in the middle, rear blocks on 4. Should help things out

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the 09, make sure spindle bushings are intact ( they corrode, and break). Align for about 1/4" toe-out measured at the little arrows molded into the skis.
Limiter strap all the way out, front skid spring set firm for a heavier guy. Rear likely firm also. Ski springs mid way and adjust as needed. Beyond this, SLP spindles would be my next choice.

mxcollector

Reaction score
How about skidoo kit #869200752 from their accessories cataloge that come's with DS2 ski and ski leg to upgrade to 2014 configuration ....they claim that it reduce steering effort and increase steering agility and predictability ....would it fit a 2008 and cure the problem ?
I know it isn't a cheap fix @$519.00 , but if it works .....am strongly thinking of it ......

Last time i when to Whitecourt that 2008 summit darted so bad on the trail it was scary!!

Be nice to hear about it if anyone here try this upgrade ?

Top Bottom