2008 XP turbo'd?

whole_control

Reaction score
Website
www.apexautomationltd.com
I was just curious about what people's opinions are on a turbo'd XP... PRO's and CON's of buying one. there is a used one for sale I am looking thougt maybe I should ask my fellow SNM'rs...

thanks in advance,
T

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of the few I have seen done they never really worked as well as one would hope and never ran consistantly well either. I have seen a few online in videos that seemed to work, but thats just a video.

I would tend to think, if it was so easy to have a turbo'd 800R run well, consistantly and as affordable as other turbo sleds (I say that meaning not 2 times as much as other turbo's) then you would see more of them.

If you can get it for a steal of a deal and you aren't affraid of some troubleshooting possibly from time to time, then go for it! Who wouldn't want 200+ hp 2-stroke in a XP chassis!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have ridden a few. they both ran excelllent and consistant but lacked some serious bottom end power. nothing that cant be overcome with some clutch tuning.

i would however check into the kit and see whos it is.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save Your Money IMO. Carb'd 2 strokes are a PITA! Go EFI on a Cat and have far less issues. I've ridden Doo all my life but they just do not turbo as well and as easy as the EFI sleds. The ETEC will hopefully solve that.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save Your Money IMO. Carb'd 2 strokes are a PITA! Go EFI on a Cat and have far less issues. I've ridden Doo all my life but they just do not turbo as well and as easy as the EFI sleds. The ETEC will hopefully solve that.

^^^^^^^^^

listen to this guy,,, and I will stretch a bit further,, ya efi = better fuel delivary but the rest is still a nightmare,, belts every 300 miles, diamond drive every 500 miles, race fuel,, ohh thats fun,,,, just carry a extra CCU and ECU as well,,, I may be stretching a bit hear but unless you like to wrench and spend huge $$ do not do it,,,,,,,,

I am being a bit negative but after draging the third one out this year and a nightmare with mine last year I am going to bash theese things every chance I get (well hopefully to save peeps some $$)

I know some get them to run and man they run hard but for how long,,, maybe half day, I like to be WOT for most the day 60-80miles,, you would need 70 litres of race fuel for a day like that,, have fun

they are very high maintenance so if you like that go for it,, they are a real rush with that power but you pay and pay big to play..

good luck

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats my issue with turbo sleds. if my sled misses a beat for 2 seconds during the day im mad lol. i cant imagine messing around with these things all day. actually i can because my friends ride them and some work some just dont.

like mentioned as long as you dont mind wrenching tuning and possibly loosing riding time in the hills go for it.

im more of a big bore with small to medium amounts of nitrous applications. this has worked for my riding style. i have no desire to go super high. although a good performing big bore will make a turbo with low boost or not properly tuned look very silly.

you need to be very comfortable with all aspects of a machine including the turbo system in order to enjoy one of these.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll I rode with ken from speciality sled a few weeks ago, and asked him about turbo XP's he told me you'll have more fun on a BB, and if you put a turbo XP up against a good running BB XP, the turbo will catch the BB at the top of the hill. but the turbo lacks so much on the bottom end. so there is the reason I was told. Ken told me he enjoys the BB over a turbo XP.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
big bore 860 or 880

I am with you guys,, go BB and shed some weight and you can also look like a sleeper,, I think theese boosted guys just like having the hood up and looking at a polished piece of turbo pipe lol kidding,, I dont even like reaching for the straps let alone pop n the hood,, only time my hood is up is after I roll down the hill,, but with my M8T I could never get it anywhere to roll it lol

good to hear Ken is on the same page,,,,

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if you contacted that guy but i think that sled burst into flames in valemount 2 weekends ago....i may be wrong but it was a turbo xp from loyd with an aerocharger like that. either way i have ridden with the guy that owned that sled before if its the same one. it worked awesome all day. just had track and suspension issues. it would just trench with all that trackspeed and the stock challenger lite track

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, some guys just have no luck with their turbo's it seems. There is alot of them out there so dont take just one or two guy's words as the gospel. Dont buy one if you dont know how to tune. They are definately not as reliable as stock, but not as bad as some guys make it out to be. I wouldnt trade my turbo for a stocker and am looking forward to building my next one! FYI my hood is up less than my buddies on their stockers as they are always trying to get that little bit extra. With my turbo it seems i have lots to spare so i dont have to keep tweeking. I just wouldn't get into a carbed turbo again as it is nothing like a fuelie.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, some guys just have no luck with their turbo's it seems. There is alot of them out there so dont take just one or two guy's words as the gospel. Dont buy one if you dont know how to tune. They are definately not as reliable as stock, but not as bad as some guys make it out to be. I wouldnt trade my turbo for a stocker and am looking forward to building my next one! FYI my hood is up less than my buddies on their stockers as they are always trying to get that little bit extra. With my turbo it seems i have lots to spare so i dont have to keep tweeking. I just wouldn't get into a carbed turbo again as it is nothing like a fuelie.

which is exactly what we are saying. avoid the carb turbo.

efi is another story much easier to work with

snowtractor

Reaction score
that was my sled that burnt not the one thats forsale if you know how to tune i wouldnt be scared but i know that sled works and works well

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Didn't I just say that? :D

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Top Bottom