2008 summit 800 blowing fuses and sputtering at high revs?

Reaction score
Hey there posting for my friend. He took his sled in after dropping it on top of his truck then off the side of the deck haha. Got it all fixed then got the shop to install a can and a clutch kit. Drove around town worked good got to valemount and started acting up blowing fuses every 15 minutes and couldn't play in the deep powder cause he would get stuck because everytime he pinned it, it would start to sputter. Shop had his clutch settings on 1 changed then to 3 on the hill. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there posting for my friend. He took his sled in after dropping it on top of his truck then off the side of the deck haha. Got it all fixed then got the shop to install a can and a clutch kit. Drove around town worked good got to valemount and started acting up blowing fuses every 15 minutes and couldn't play in the deep powder cause he would get stuck because everytime he pinned it, it would start to sputter. Shop had his clutch settings on 1 changed then to 3 on the hill. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

sounds like a wiring issue, does he have a heated bag or any electric ascessoires installed ?, and did he have is wiring harness recall done, also check the brake light wire to the rear, could be anything....what rpms is he hitting when its sputtering ?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there posting for my friend. He took his sled in after dropping it on top of his truck then off the side of the deck haha. Got it all fixed .......QUOTE]

Sounds like he didn't get it all fixed. ;)

I would suspect a wire is either broken or the coating has been melted off and it is grounding out somewhere (maybe a wire that got missed when he repaired it?), or the voltage regulator is toast. Hard to believe on an 08 that the VR is already done though, which is why I would suspect wiring.

Check the taillight wiring, heard there was an issue with this were it enters the rear bracket, the wires were rubbing on the metal and then grounding on the chassis.

The sputtering could be caused by the electrical or by a totally different issue - check plugs when it sputters and see what they look like. Someone knocked a DPM line off perhaps when repairing and now its running in full rich mode?

also check the DESS cord for a good connection.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski-doo dealer rebuilt my engine, when i got it back it sputters at high rpm. They never could figure out what is wrong with it. I took a q-tip soaked with acetone and cleaned out the spark plug caps....it is better now but it is still not working right. I still figure it is spark so i am going to change the wires next and cut back on the oil consumption. I know a good mechanic can figure this out...where the hell is one?

Reaction score
i will let him know. everytime the fuse went out his taillight was gone so could be in that. he could only hit about 6800 rpm and then just sputter and stuck.

Top Bottom