2008 Skidoo XP "Ratcheting Issue"

tnichols10

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 08 XP with an issue I can't figuire out. On my last trip to the mountains my sled began ratcheting, I checked the typical suspects, I tightened the track and it didn't fix the issue, so I checked the chain case to see if the chain was loose or if there was play in the gears, and it wasn't the issue either. The sled only ratchets when the track is under load, especially climbing a hill in powder around full throttle, it wont do it at full throttle on flat ground...I know its a tough problem to describe but if anyone has any ideas what may be causing the ratcheting, any advice helps.

Thanks
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think the drivers to! Or maybe a bad bearing in the driveshaft? Could make a ratcheting noise under load.

tnichols10

Reaction score
I kind of thought of the drivers also but a friend of mine with an 08 XP aswell, the drivers appear the same. Ive never seen what a bad driver looks like, is there any signs I can look for?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep drivers. unfotunately once the stock ones spin they wear out slowly and eventually just get worse and worse. replace them with some avids and be done. since its an 08 throw a 2.5 track under it while your in there.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how bad it is ratcheting, but mine was doing it under load and i put a new belt on and fixed it. The belt was starting to delaminate. Mine was not a loud ratchet but noticeable under heavy load.

tnichols10

Reaction score
When it begins ratcheting I lose all power and it wont stop until I let off the throttle.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep drivers. unfotunately once the stock ones spin they wear out slowly and eventually just get worse and worse. replace them with some avids and be done. since its an 08 throw a 2.5 track under it while your in there.

I'd bet money on it being the drivers too. I had the same problem earlier this winter. Once you run them too loose for it seems like even a day they are toast. They just don't bite again. Like Maxwell said... Get rid of the stock track and drivers when you're under there! Best mod you can do to an 08!

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was riding with a guy once who thought his drivers were ratcheting and it turned out that his drive chain was so loose it was skipping over the gear cogs....what a Donny he is hahaha

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was riding with a guy once who thought his drivers were ratcheting and it turned out that his drive chain was so loose it was skipping over the gear cogs....what a Donny he is hahaha

That happened to us on a rev. Cotter pin came out and te tensioner backed off and it sounded just like drivers ratcheting. But the OP says he checked the tension

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont rule out a burn or chunk out of the belt before you go and change the drivers. Lol.

Top Bottom