2008 skidoo xp crank runout

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son bought a 2008 summit x xp. He has put 200 miles on it so far with no belt issues or anything other than the last ride it seemed to be running rich in the midrange. Would take some throttle to clear it out and all good after that.

Brought it back and deceided to look at the pto bearing and grease it for maintenance reasons only. checked crank runout for fun........totally shocked to see .025"!! you can see the wobble when pulling it over without needing a dial indicator!!!!!

I guess its obviously time for a rebuild.......where is the best place to get a new crank assembly that will be guaranteed true and reasonably priced??? Could there be problems with the cases? What would you do?

Thanks!

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best bet might be a new short block...comes with the updated crank and everything

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
updated crank?? didn't know they did an update!! Just tore the motor down and cyl and pistons are in great shape. Barely a mark on the cyl just glazed, no crosshatch left at all. bottom end looks good too, Just the center bearings sound really dry. No marks in the cases that make me think I cant reuse them. gonna hone the cyl. put new rktek pistons in and either send the crank to mongoose for a rebuild or I guess look into the updated crank.

would you have a part number for the updated crank????

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
25 thou - thats huge - must have vibrated terribly ! think max is 4 1/2 thou ! made sure cases dont have dark spot wear the brg rides - usually indicates crank brg movement !

mikejulien12

Reaction score
I dont have a part number. I had the crank bearing go on my ptek and it took the rest of the motor with it so i had to go short block.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
25 thou - thats huge - must have vibrated terribly ! think max is 4 1/2 thou ! made sure cases dont have dark spot wear the brg rides - usually indicates crank brg movement !
took it apart today and there is dark spots on the bottom half of the cases in under the 2 center bearings! Was wondering what to look for. The 2 center bearing sound dry when i spin them but other than that i dont see much else wrong. No up and down play in the bearings when you try to move the races by hand. Are the cases still ok to reuse???

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't think mongoose is doing cranks anymore they are buying rebuilt one from someone out east cvtech maybe can prob get direct cause doo wants to much for them

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't think mongoose is doing cranks anymore they are buying rebuilt one from someone out east cvtech maybe can prob get direct cause doo wants to much for them
Just talked to mongoose and they do still rebuild cranks. They also have cranks in stock for most models that are used for exchange if you need one fast.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the updated crank is a 2010 and up ptek crank. So if you are getting an exchange I would go with the newer one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get either, cause ya get what ya pay for, meaning c.v tech or mongoose

Just talked to mongoose and they do still rebuild cranks. They also have cranks in stock for most models that are used for exchange if you need one fast.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the updated crank is a 2010 and up ptek crank. So if you are getting an exchange I would go with the newer one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the doo one is the 2010 and newer

Has less drilled out for bolt and is a way tougher crank nose

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wont work for a 2008. The mag side is bigger for the 2009 and up models. You would need a new mag

Top Bottom