2008 M8 any issues or all around solid sled?

eforwell

Reaction score
Just wondering if some of you guys who really know your sleds can comment on a 2008 Arctic Cat M8. I have no brand loyalties and am simply looking for the best sled my money can buy. I have about 6500-7000 to buy something and seem to come back to this sled the M8 in 08 or 08/09 rmk 700. This seems to be the best sled for my price range as I can't go any higher. Any input would be appreciated. Would like a Rev Xp from 09 but they are hard to find for 7000 with low mleage!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if some of you guys who really know your sleds can comment on a 2008 Arctic Cat M8. I have no brand loyalties and am simply looking for the best sled my money can buy. I have about 6500-7000 to buy something and seem to come back to this sled the M8 in 08 or 08/09 rmk 700. This seems to be the best sled for my price range as I can't go any higher. Any input would be appreciated. Would like a Rev Xp from 09 but they are hard to find for 7000 with low mleage!

Contact ferniesnow. He has a 09 xp with goodies on it for that price range.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

eforwell

Reaction score
Sorry, not sure how to do that on here as I am a new user. Any chance you can put him in touch with me? Thanks for your help.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, not sure how to do that on here as I am a new user. Any chance you can put him in touch with me? Thanks for your help.
I guess you were talking to him last night he said. He's got that 09 with 3100 k

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 M8 it has been a great sled for me. I wasn't fond of the rear bumper and tunnel so I switched it out with one from an 09. Only other complaint I would have is my clutch engagement is pretty rough but I might just need a new spring. You should have a fair amount of sleds to look at in that price range. I also ride with a guy that has an 08 Dragon 700 and it has also been a great sled for him.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like mine so much I think I might end up not picking up my Pro Climb and riding this one for another season. A quick fix for guys that think the clutch engagement is to harsh is to just change the primary spring out to a Cat gold and she's smooth as butter. I'd guess that the Cat 800 is one of the most reliable engines out there too.

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fuckin rights its a good all around sled My 2007 m8 has around 7000km 's on it and still going strong no breakdowns whatsoever.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that reliability wise and power wise they're good, but their real pigs to ride. Hard to carve,boonedock. But they seem to be popular. Every sled has it's positives and negatives, but for the most part all company's make good sleds, they all are built around the same idea.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I've heard that reliability wise and power wise they're good, but their real pigs to ride. Hard to carve,boonedock. But they seem to be popular. Every sled has it's positives and negatives, but for the most part all company's make good sleds, they all are built around the same idea.

pigs to ride????huh??? i'm just a chitty rookie rider and i dont find it hard to ride at all......

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What do you mean hard to carve and boondock? My cat carves so easy, and yes, I have ridden a Polaris. You sit too high on a Polaris, it's like riding a barstool.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 07 m800 for sale to make room for a proclimb. Been a bulletproof sled. Very happy with it.

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
but their real pigs to ride. Hard to carve,boonedock.

I gotta disagree, the m sleds are a very user friendly sled. I've had an 08 and an 09 M8 never a problem with either. They are a traditional chassis, a little rough on the trail (who gives a chit) but handle excellent in the mountains! Fwiw I've got a Polaris Pro Rmk and a ProClimb snowchecked and sometimes think I should just pick up another M sled and save the extra 5-6k. Just my 2cents.

nursepwdr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a M8 162" and I have never had a single concern with it *knocks on wood* I am by no means a pro rider and I can ride with ease on this sled......... even with the long track I have had no concerns at all with handling ............We do own 2 Cats and 2 Polaris's and the Polaris's have had far more issues .............Just my opinion :)

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard that reliability wise and power wise they're good, but their (they're) real pigs to ride. Hard to carve (and) ,boonedock.(boondock)

First, off to grammar school for you. Second, did you just hear that they are hard to ride, or did you experience this first hand?

I have ridden 800 dragons as well as the M8 and thought they both handled quite well. In my opinion, the M8 is a little easier to deal with in tricky spots.

Cheers,
PB

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Boy are you going to get to hammered on this one the M's are about the most solid all round stock mountain sled going, flickable, reliable, and generally a great platform. Please don't quote what you have "heard". Apparently who ever is feeding you these "reports" is heavily biased or half delusional.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loved mine should have never got rid of it to go to a BRP. but sold that BRP STUFF and went Polaris this year.

eforwell

Reaction score
Lots of good advice, thanks fellas. Appreciate it. I hear the DD is the only real concern and another easy mod is a new model seat that makes the 08/09 M8 really sweet...tough call. Will come down to the best deal I can get I think.EF

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think most of the diamond drive problems were in the 07 and older sleds.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08m8 is in a word, fantastic 5000 km and still rips. I did the seat mod and the bigger bearing in the drive. Buy one you won't be sorry.

Top Bottom