2008 Grizzly 700 on fire

jdlag1

Reaction score
At the hunting lease this weekend and when I got back to camp I got off turned around and both rear wheels on my 700 had fire coming out of them! It was the plastic rock/mud guards that caught on fire and completely melted. Only thing I can figure out is mud pushed the plastic up against the rotors and the friction started the fire. Thinking about removing whats left and not putting them back on. Anybody else had a problem with this?

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DANG !!! ... never heard of that before. :eek: Man, that sucks !! ... And I agree with ya, I'd take the SOB's off & leave'em off.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds to me like your rear brakes stuck on, doubt that the plastic rubbing the rotors would cause enough heat to start on fire.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard of this happening on another forum,.. I will have to do some digging to find which one it was again.

blumtn

Reaction score
Greetings,
Been away for awhile. Had a friend that bought a new grizz 700 this last spring. Went riding one night with it and kept complaining that it was lacking on power. I was not there that night so a couple of other guys rode it and said it felt strange but not bad. Later that night while riding back to the rigs he was at the end of the line and when they reached the rigs he stopped only to find out the whole back end of his 700 was on fire. He thought it was the paint burning off the exhaust. Took it to the dealer and they tried to tell him he was riding the brake.Long story short the dealer replaced everything plastic on the back end of the bike, new pads,rotors, brake lines, cv boots,and told him that they should have charged him for it.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One this year came through the shop at argyll here in edmonton same thing, rear brakes caught on fire and rider swears he didn't have the parking brake on. Waranty covered it.

Canadiancowboy

Reaction score
i had same problem with mine....problem is wasnt sure if brake was pushed by person i was riding with or not.
It was easy and cheap fix. I believe the foot brake is bad place for it and can easily be pushed down which in turn would heat up the brakes and cause both plastic and brake line to burn up.....vary careful with it now!

blumtn

Reaction score
I have a 660 grizz and a 700 grizz and neither bike has a rear foot brake on them. I have large feet and learned in the early days that in the worst time you step on the rear brake pedal. So those are the first items removed when I prep a new bike for snow riding. One idea that the dealer gave me was that in deep snow it packs in around the pedal and when you use the brake the snow holds it down, but that was the idea not mine.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a 700 but on my 660 i had my rear break get so hot it actually enlarged to the point the rear break stuck on. i used my water bottle to get some water on it so i could actually drive the thing home it was red hot and flash steamed all the water that hit it. i could see how that would be able to light up the plastics on the 700 cuz its right beside them.

Top Bottom