2008 Dragon 700 Engine Cutting Out Over 7600 RPM

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My engine cutting out (fast sputtering) at anything over 7600 RPM. Right now I have 60 gram weights in it from the last trip to mountains.

Thought it may be fuel, but have run at least a couple tanks through it and added eco-fuel saver to the tanks and still doing it. Around here elevation is about 2000 to 2300 feet. Do these machines have a safety mechanism that retards the engine to prevent over revving if riding around in lower elevations with mountain weights in? Shouldn't it just rev higher with mountain weights in when riding at lower elevations?

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No it would not be the weights. I would suspect the fuel filter is starting to plug and can't deliver the fuel required at WOT.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read your plugs they should be able to confirm the filter being plugged.

Ps dont buy a polaris filter $$$$, talk to chris at parkland motorsports, he can do it much cheaper

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that because you have the light weights in you are actually hitting the rev limiter? Does the dragon have an analog or digital tach? Digitals are sometimes slow to register.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that because you have the light weights in you are actually hitting the rev limiter? Does the dragon have an analog or digital tach? Digitals are sometimes slow to register.
I called the dealer and that's what they told me, that I was hitting the rev limiter, but I find that a bit confusing as why wouldn't it allow the engine to run to at least 8000 rpm? I tried to change the weights yesterday but I couldn't get the clutch opened wide enough to slip the weights out. Gonna try again today.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take the outside cover off and the weights are easy to get at the clutch it just slides back mark the position before taking apart they are balanced. when putting cover back on put a large washer on bolt that holds clutch on and turn in till you can start the cover bolts. you do not want to cross thread them as they go into light aluminum turn them in by hand then tighten each one a little at a time as it has a bushing on the shaft.torque to 90 INCH pounds

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I called the dealer and that's what they told me, that I was hitting the rev limiter, but I find that a bit confusing as why wouldn't it allow the engine to run to at least 8000 rpm? I tried to change the weights yesterday but I couldn't get the clutch opened wide enough to slip the weights out. Gonna try again today.

I dont' know what the rev limiter is set for but find it hard to believe it would be below 8500 if target rpm is 8250 per Polaris specifications. You would think there would be a little leeway.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had a look at the specs for this sled and operating rpm is 8250 plus or minus 300 rpm. If you are sputtering at 7600 I don't see how it could be the rev limiter unless the ECU has gone bad. Can you get hold of a spare to try?

Kranked

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with 08 700. Ive changed the clutch spring and weights. I've added a PCV with one of Jim's maps (running an slp pipe). None of that fixed anything. Next I'm gonna try changing the fuel filter. Anyone found a cure for this rpm problem? Maybe any more ideas?

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with 08 700. Ive changed the clutch spring and weights. I've added a PCV with one of Jim's maps (running an slp pipe). None of that fixed anything. Next I'm gonna try changing the fuel filter. Anyone found a cure for this rpm problem? Maybe any more ideas?

Check your exhaust bellows!!

Kranked

Reaction score
Yup Ive recently changed those and the gaskets. No change. Theres just gotta be something thats were missing here.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I changed my weights last night. The weights in it were 10-60s, and I put in 10-64s. I ran it and now it is running up to over 8000 rpms, but certainly doesn't seem to pull as hard, maybe that's to be expected. It still doesn't feel right though. I didn't do a plug burn, have to do that. I'm going to run it this weekend and see how it does (after I do plug burn to make sure it's not running lean). I almost think I could put in heavier weights yet. I had mine services not too long ago and they changed the exhaust bellows (and said they also cleaned the power valve) then, so that shouldn't be the problem.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head that prob with two dragons I ride with found they where running the wrong plugs they were running br8es and call for bpr9es

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it ran better, but was still acting up a bit. I checked the plugs and found the electrode wore down on both of them. I took out the Champion that the manual recommends and put in NGKs and now it is running much better. I don't think I'll be going back to Champion plugs.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Try exhaust valves

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I haven't, but it seems to be running good now. What would the issue with the secondary clutch be?

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your secondary isn't opening like it should it will cause the motor to pull down hard and not hit revs. Blowen belts can cause havoc. Something could be wedged in it and is showing its ugly head now. Something easy to try is use your clutch tool and see how easy it is to expand the clutch. Really hard something is wrong

Top Bottom