2008 Arctic Cat M8 Grey Smoke

tcase82

Reaction score
I just recently noticed that when i start my sled up and go to ride off the sled hesitates and starts to blow out grayish/black smoke. After you ride off though it goes away has any one else encountered this?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just recently noticed that when i start my sled up and go to ride off the sled hesitates and starts to blow out grayish/black smoke. After you ride off though it goes away has any one else encountered this?
My M7 did the same thing, turned out to be the water pump shaft seal. Had a couple people tell me they could smell antifreeze after I pulled away, so went looking and found this. It is a mechanical seal and not easy to change.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My M7 did the same thing, turned out to be the water pump shaft seal. Had a couple people tell me they could smell antifreeze after I pulled away, so went looking and found this. It is a mechanical seal and not easy to change.

Master of understatement. It was a PITA to change! :(

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or it could also be something as simple as changing the type of oil you run. I know I've tried different oils on my sled and some ofthem made it run like crap and smoke alot. Just a suggestion.

tcase82

Reaction score
Been running the arctic cat oil since day one of owning it, so its definitely not the oil or it should have shown up sooner. According to the arctic cat dealer in town, its the banjo fittings for the oil pump. $400 for them to fix it, quoted $30 a piece for the fittings yet online arctic cat shop is showing theyre are $6 a piece

tcase82

Reaction score
On First start up with sled after its been parked over night or for long period of time. Just started this season within the last 5-6 rides

tcase82

Reaction score
Yea, checked coolant level and did pressure test. According to the cat dealership in Prince George its the check valves on the oil pump seeing how i have some oil on my throttle body.

tchriste

Reaction score
If it is an oil issue and you're sure the banjo fittings and check valves are the issue, you could always do an oil delete for about $40.00. Don't get lost on the oil on/in the throttle bodies or air intake as that is normal. Usually if the banjo bolts are loose you will see a leak.

tcase82

Reaction score
It's on the outside of throttle bodies, I know there will always be oil in the throttle body. Talked to a few different dealerships and they all said that will most likely be the issue.

johnsmith

Reaction score
just wondering if your banjo fittings and check valves were the culprit, my 07 M8 just started having same issue this season.and since we having + 10 degrees in january and snow turning to ice, figured its a good time to sort it out.

Top Bottom