2008 apex or 2009 nytro

luvdiggin

Reaction score
I am looking for advise on whether to buy a 08 apex with 2500km and mint condition or a 09 nytro with 1000km in decent shape for the same price. I love the power and predictability of the apex as well as the floatation. I have rode one of these before but it was supercharged but the weight scares me. I have never rode a nytro before but have heared they are a blast. I like to ride in the steep and deep a few times a year but also do a lot of ditch banging in the country. I currently ride a slightly modified 98 simmit x 670 so i know either one will be a step up but i think the nytro may be a little underpowered for what i want. and with the apex i can throw a supercharger on it without any other mods if i want. where as the nytro would need more track with a supercharger. any advise from some experienced fourstrokers wold be great. thanks! looking foreward to joining the fourstroke crowd although i will miss the sweet scream of a 2 stroke. but wont miss the repair bills.

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The riding style of the Nytro is different. I know alot of guys that had to put on a few hundred km's before they got use to it. I prefer the Apex but that's just my preference. Good Luck.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm all about the nytro. I wouldn't buy anything shorter than the 153. But if you want my opinion on the best nytro, the 2010 takes the cake by far. I had an 08 and the 09's didn't change much from the 08. Yammy did some stellar upgrades for the 2010 model year, doesn't even compare to the previous years. That's my 2 cents

luvdiggin

Reaction score
yeah i know they changed the nytro a lot in 2010 but they are still a little out of my price range, right now i'm leaning towards the apex in this deal just for the fact that if i do decide on a supercharger in a few years there is nothing else needed on it just bolt it up and go, because i know that if i get into it too far theres no turning back when it comes to mods.

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an apex and have rode with many nytros. One thing that is for sure is the apex is a much solider sled. It takes on the trees and rocks like no other machine out there. The bulk heads on the nytros are weak . There both awesome sleds. If your gonna run stock power and your a bigger dude you might not like the nytro either. the apex stock carries the big guys alot better.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi
i've got a 07 apex and i'm real happy with it and i've also got a 07 vector for my son and it rides the same with just a little less power. Make sure it has reverse my apex doesn't and my vector has reverse. In the moutains i've found that I don't use it that much but when I ride in the praires I use the reverse more. Also make sure u have scratchers on the sled or u will burn the hifaxs off.
Good luck
Barry

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't shy away from the Nytro just because it may need a track. If the Apex still has the Maverick track you'll likely be replacing it as well. The biggest cost in extending a Nytro to 162 is the track.

One thing to consider is they are not offering a Mtn Apex anymore and a lot more nytro's are being sold. So I think in the future there will be more mods/support available for the Nytro (might even be now).

I would also think the Nytro would be a better ditch banger. The Apex handles great once you get it on a bit of powder but on crusty or hard pack , which you might see ditch banging, the Nytro will be easier to control and throw around.

I agree that the Apex is more durable (tree eater) and seems to fit larger guys better (I think the odd steering angle on the Nytro is to blame for this).

Either one you will be able to keep for years and continually improve.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tuning fork mafia is getting another member :beer:

I have some seat time on a nytro.
and allot on my apex.
For me it's the apex all the way. I run it fairly stock. just exhaust and a camo extreme track. More mountain riding, but we ride around home as well. Pretty bullet proof machine, and in-exspensive to run.

good luck
either way, you'll have a reliable machine

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that alot of people fix their nytros, a-arms, sub-frames, oil tanks,etc. The apex is bullet proof plus goes well with a camoplast extreme. Best sounding sled out there. It's also one good looking sled.:)

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi if you have the opportunity to by the apex go for it, you will never loose
Don

Attachments

• dec 26 09 001 [1280x768].jpg
    dec 26 09 001 [1280x768].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 237

luvdiggin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise still not sure which one to get. but i have to choose soon i just sold my summit x670 so i have to replace it soon the snow is beginning to flyyyyyy!

Jeepindg

Reaction score
I also have a 06 apex mountain, I really like the sled, im a bigger guy and it hauls butt.. I rode a 08 nytro a few years ago and it was weird riding but I feel that you could easyly get used to it...

My apex had a Hauck (Straight pipe) muffler and it was too loud for my liking (in the mountains it was the loudest thing in earshot--- you couldent hear anything but the apex when racing people --- then you couldent hear anything after riding it either LOL :) but i put the stock muffler on it and it sounds awesome :)

either way i dont think you can really go wrong :)

luvdiggin

Reaction score
i got myself a 2010 nytro thanks to yamahas rebates and oj's in wainwright giving me a great deal and i love it i only have a few km's on it now but i think it was the best move thanks for all of your help i almost went for an apex! now what do i do with all my ski-doo gear???? even after a few km's i love the response of a fourstroke!

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I went from a 2007 Attak to a 2010 Nytro XTX. Im still not sold on the nytro for long miles. Off trail nytro hands down. Im putting a taller seat on for this weekend with my fingers crossed or i may be selling it. Attak is way better for high milers but not great boondocking. Pick your poison!

luvdiggin

Reaction score
I agree that the nytro could use some better trail manners but i love it in the powder the torque of the fourstroke turns the 162 like a dream and keeps on pulling. the only thing i would change right now is to put on a steering relocate kit that moves the handlebars foreward a few inches. If you are doing a lot of trail riding you could look at the new split rail skis that are on the market they are suposed to improve the nytros handling imensely. Best of luck!

Top Bottom