2007 Ski-Doo 800 Clutch Issues ?

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since i have owned my sled i have had this weird issue where i go to carve to the left and the motor will rev up and then bog way down during the turn, also first ride this year while making a slow left hand carve im pretty sure the motor hit the rev limiter a few times and made the motor pop once or twice. This will occur in deep fluffy powder or hard packed snow. the clutch has never had snow on it while this was happening. This is a video where this happens, the time is 00:13 and 01:13. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvu4FXh5P4c[/media]

I was told when i bought the sled that all clutch updates had been done.

I am currently on click 4-5 (depending on golden or revy). During a hard pull climbing the revs are at the sweet spot of 8200rpm, but on the flat the revs can get up to 8400rpm. My 2002 800 was always at 8000rpm flat or climbing always, is this normal for my 07?

On the very rare occasion riding on the flat i will have lots of rpm's but will hardly be going anywhere as if the belt were slipping entirely or the primary has not closed at all, a little throttle manipulation and a few seconds later it rides normal.

I have never done any maintenance on a snowmobile clutch before, in the comming weeks i will be picking up a primary clutch puller and a shop manual to work on my 07, watching some clutch videos on youtube has given me a pretty good idea about how to go about working on it but has shown me that ill need a few more special tools. Any idea where to get them in Calgary ?

Any information on what may be happing with my 07 would be very appreciated.

Thanks

snoking

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. I'm pretty sure that the belt is actually slipping, because the outer half inch of my primary clutch plates were black and I blow belts constantly.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No Chit ? well then .... Im pretty sure my clutching is crap aswell even though it's been updated... There is black on my clutch plates but not very much, i just worked over my secondary today with a new helix and im going with new rollers and spring in the primary. I would have been done today except the cotter pins would not come out of the arms .... ended up screwing up the pins and then the arms were no good after all because of shoot bushings .... new parts on order for next week, when i get it all back together ill let you know how it works out. Check your clutch "alignment" that could be the worst cause for your belt issue and all the black marks. This was an update that dealers were supposed to do recalls on, if you never took it in for clutch work it's probably out.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya mine seems to be fine. But im running mine in the flats. But i never had those problems were my buddys xrs had those problems. Id just get a kit for it, i got one, but have to go grab it from another fellow. Just might be a thought for your sleds.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have the 151 and had problems for most of the first season of riding. Way to many to mention here and some I forget. With that being said it is by far the best sled to date for power to the track and I am into my 15th sled. Clutching is where it is at for this motor and it changes with elevation, but with the proper clutching - Wow!! I have a 151 08 XP and the XRS pulls harder. I have spent more time and effort dialing in the XRS and now head to dialing in the XP to where I think it should be. Top end sucks and I am looking for the solution which I think I might have found, but I am open to suggestions.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your clutch is probably sliping when you do this cause on the left there's a little vent in the side pannel that allows it to suck in loose snow when you lean it over mine did the same thing i took some small screen and siliconed it on the inside of the panel and mine quit doing this

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also think that you are sucking in snow through the side panel. I think thats the main reason bombardier put those plastic gaurds on the clutch covers. If you remove it youll have to do what hagmanmod1 did. In 2007 we had three XRS 159 in our group, two of the guys removed the cover before the first ride and the one that left the cover on seemed to get better belt life, he changed his first belt at 1500 kilometers because it was starting to get to thin and it wouldnt pull rpm anymore.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also think that you are sucking in snow through the side panel. I think thats the main reason bombardier put those plastic gaurds on the clutch covers. If you remove it youll have to do what hagmanmod1 did. In 2007 we had three XRS 159 in our group, two of the guys removed the cover before the first ride and the one that left the cover on seemed to get better belt life, he changed his first belt at 1500 kilometers because it was starting to get to thin and it wouldnt pull rpm anymore.

1500k ... holy hell, thats unheard of on a Doo usually hahaha. The only problem with that cover is that the clutches are already hotter than the exhaust and with that on it's just baking in their... i can see snow getting on the clutches during WOT power turns but when your hardly moving and you decide to do a little side hill and it does it, then im starting to wonder. Belt slipping or clutch issues it could really be either one. It's kind of strange that i can ride in a full powder day and do turns all afternoon and only have it happen once or twice, why not all day ... the inconsistancy of the problem is really fishy ... Whenever im done doing some turns in the white fluff i check to see if there is any snow on that side and their usually isn't. If the belt were slipping due to snow i could see a greater climb in rpm's maybe even off the rev limiter alot more often aswell. Currently it's more of a drop in rpm's though, as if the belt grabed instantly and it did not slip at all. Im really hoping that when i get the clutches back together with the new setup i can try it and see if this fixes the problem and how the sled reacts to it.

The guy that got 1500k's out of a belt musta had his clutches perfect, aligned and setup. I corded a belt in around 100km's one time, it could have been a bad belt too. The super extreme parts girl at bow cycles (kristy) with all here knowledge and infinite wisdom told me that when mountain riding you only get 100km's out of a belt *LAWL* she makes me laugh :) she also thinks that can's make motors pop.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i seen the belt and it is true but the belt should have been changed way before that but it lasted that long though

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got it all back together and did a test ride just around the yard a little, everything is working good and it feels strong with the clutching i have done, hard to tell on flat ground, ill post some updates on how it works next time i get out.

With current conditions being the way they are not sure when ill make it out and when i do if it will be a good idea to be climbing.

summitxrs

Reaction score
I had my clutch setup professionaly and my xrs would go any where. I recently blew that clutch up (couldn't even rebuild it). There were pieces everywhere haha. I found a brand new unused TRA primary (stock skidoo) and now I think my 488 fan polaris will beat my 800. I cant figure what it wrong with it. I have set the deflection on the secondary (team tied roller) and it is about 20 mph short of what it used to do and it is gutless. Before I lift the skis out of the snow to point where I thought it would go over backwards and now they dont leave the snow. Both clutchs are clean. It doesn't matter what I set my clickers at because when I top out at 60 mph the engine revs out and I have tried 1 through 6 on the clickers. does anybody know what I should do? or what the problem could be?
(brand new belt was installed when the new clutch was installed)

Top Bottom